If you were buying a boat to mainly bass/crappie fish out of but wanted to put it in the Clinch (Miller's island/Peach orchard) maybe 3 times a year, what would you get?  Their would be 2 or 3 people fishing at a time.

I'd love to have 18.5-19.5 tin boat with jet engine.  Go anywhere most anytime.

Can't afford one now and hate payment plans. But maybe some day.....

• Like 3

Jet with a tunnel hull.  18-20' is good, bigger is better!!  Look on Facebook Marketplace as there are usually several, as well as Craigslist.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TNKen said:

Jet with a tunnel hull.  18-20' is good, bigger is better!!  Look on Facebook Marketplace as there are usually several, as well as Craigslist.

How big is your's?

If you only fish the clinch 3 times a year you won’t need a jet . When they are pumping it’s deep enough for a yacht and they are almost always pumping 

Bass Pro offers the Heritage.  New outfit for around 10,500.

I'd love a jet but, big guy here,  I might need to get a rocket LOL

I can't decide between a bass style aluminium or center console jon boat. Thinking somewhere around 17-18' with a 50 to 90 hp, but leaning hard towards a 18' with 90hp and just kayak the Clinch if needed.

35 minutes ago, sharpshooter said:

I can't decide between a bass style aluminium or center console jon boat. Thinking somewhere around 17-18' with a 50 to 90 hp, but leaning hard towards a 18' with 90hp and just kayak the Clinch if needed.

I take my prop boat all over the clinch, center console aluminum. An 18' with a 90 is perfect for fishing there, the water is 10 feet deep and hauling ass 95 percent of the time. It was probably only low enough to safely kayak about 10-20 days out of 365 in 2019.  I do wish my console was on the side though, I hate walking around it

Edited by rusty50576
  • Thanks 1

I  am partial to my 1648 Polar Kraft jon boat. You can fish Peach Orchard from the ramp up to the first shoal and down stream to the first shallow shoal below ramp.   If you have someone in the front of the boat directing you away from rocks, you can go on above the upper shoal if the water is not too low.  When the water is up you can go anywhere you want.

• Like 1

Whatever you get, just make sure the joints are welded aluminum.  I think most manufacturers have gotten away from rivets, but a lot of the older boats aren't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TNKen said:

Whatever you get, just make sure the joints are welded aluminum.  I think most manufacturers have gotten away from rivets, but a lot of the older boats aren't.

I tried to replace a transom in my 1957 Jon boat. After about an hour with an angle grinder and titanium drill bit and metal punches, we couldn’t budge the first rivet. Not all rivets are bad, this boat is made from cherry max structure rivets and is probably the toughest damn thing on earth. They used airplane rivets back then 

I just know if you have a riveted river boat that occasionally bangs on rocks, they tend to leak. 

I have a 19.5' Grumman square stern canoe that is likewise bulletproof.

8 hours ago, TNKen said:

I just know if you have a riveted river boat that occasionally bangs on rocks, they tend to leak. 

I have a 19.5' Grumman square stern canoe that is likewise bulletproof.

Yeah I’ve heard you can easily pop Rivets out of lots of 80s-90s boats . I wish I could pop mine out to replace the wooden transom haha

Edited by rusty50576
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.
Think I will go to the fishing show next week and get a better feel for what I want.
Be sure to have a talk with the good folks at Bunch Marine. Curtis Bunch is a great man. Be sure to tell him that Jamey from Tennessee Anglers sent you.
  • Like 1

Following...

I'm currently fishing an Egret 176 carbon/Kevlar down here in SWFL, but figure it's probably not going to be great for rivers and rocks. 

4 hours ago, ProTek said:
On 1/18/2020 at 8:31 AM, sharpshooter said:
Thanks for the info.
Think I will go to the fishing show next week and get a better feel for what I want.

Be sure to have a talk with the good folks at Bunch Marine. Curtis Bunch is a great man. Be sure to tell him that Jamey from Tennessee Anglers sent you.

I got my Polar Kraft from Curtis bunch. Not sure they still have that brand but if not, he will steer you in the right direction.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, TNKen said:

I have a 1648  rivited Jon boat l bought in 1986 that l fished the clinch and a lot of other lakes around here. I also duck hunted out of it on most of the lakes around here. Duck hunting is rough on boats. Not one leak. I guess they don't make them like they used to.

• Like 1