Jump to content
inthebox30lbs

Trout Trollers tournament Calderwood Aug. 24th

Recommended Posts

Interest has been quite high for this tournament.    Has the potential to be our largest turn out.  Conditions should be ideal with consistent generation as fontana starts to ease water levels down for the year. I would expect good numbers are going to come to the scales.  Feel free to share this post/link to other social media/websites Come on out and fish.  

Edited by inthebox30lbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several have asked......Boat, kayak, submarine, live bait, artificial lures etc. it’s all good.  should be a good time it’s always fun at the weigh in. We should find out a lot about calderwoods trout population. Hopefully will see a big brown. You never know maybe a laker.  I’m sure it will fish similar to Cheoah with all the generation that’s going on and most who fished that day in late may on Cheoah had a great day the numbers of fish caught were high by everyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as things go as planned I'll be there Friday evening.  I hate getting up early and driving.  Looks like there is a high probability of rain, which I think is a bonus.  Bring your rain gear and enjoy the solitude.

 

Shea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, morewood said:

As long as things go as planned I'll be there Friday evening.  I hate getting up early and driving.  Looks like there is a high probability of rain, which I think is a bonus.  Bring your rain gear and enjoy the solitude.

 

Shea

It looks like a good chance of rain which will keep things cool and and cloud cover.  Will be at Fontana Village friday afternoon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, inthebox30lbs said:

It looks like a good chance of rain which will keep things cool and and cloud cover.  Will be at Fontana Village friday afternoon.  

Cool, easy drive along Cheoah in the morning.  I'll cut over the gap into Robbinsville, grab some things and head past Santeetlah to Calderwood.  I've got an old slide in camper, with A/C.

 

Shea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one is in the books.  5 boats showed up to fish on what ended up being a tough bite for everybody.  Lack of generation and a ton of debris from storms and previous days heavy generation made keeping lines clean as tough as i have ever seen.  Irregardless great weather and scenery helped ease the tough conditions. Big fish was a gorgeous brown that was close to 3.5lbs.

 

3 fish 

1st.  5.54 

2nd 3.79 

3rd (2fish) 2.22

 

Look for another date in October for another get together.  After all the interest coming into this new year the same die hard crew keeps showing hopefully we can add to the numbers of anglers for future tournaments.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update Scott.  Sorry to hear that the fishing was slow last week but we have been to several tournaments with zero legal fish before.

 

We maybe available for a fall tournament - First Saturday of October would not work for me (high school cross country).  No sure of Brent's availability either as his 1-year old daughter is battling Leukemia, but the boat is back in the Carolinas and will be jonesing to fish for sure by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the update Scott.  Sorry to hear that the fishing was slow last week but we have been to several tournaments with zero legal fish before.
 
We maybe available for a fall tournament - First Saturday of October would not work for me (high school cross country).  No sure of Brent's availability either as his 1-year old daughter is battling Leukemia, but the boat is back in the Carolinas and will be jonesing to fish for sure by then.
Evans, sorry to hear about Brent's daughter. Please keep me posted via text if you can. Prayers have been sent. Also if there is anything we can do we sure will.

P.S. I know about them tournaments with zero fish weighed in. It makes for a tough day. Looking forward to cooler weather and trout fishing. See y'all soon hopefully.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We, my friend Darrell and I trolled all the way to dam without getting a strike. On the way back upstream, after they'd started generating we finally caught 2 Rainbows. The solunar table had a major feeding period between about 8-10 a.m. The fish entirely ignored that. The fish were feeding according to the TVA-Brookfield table.....whenever they generated. We pulled spoons, plugs, and hoochies to little avail. I nearly always catch a fish or two on my little crawdad plugs but they never got a strike on 'em. We probably all could of caught more fish if the tourney had been 10-6 a.m. so it coincided somewhat with the generating schedule....??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Troutgirl said:

We, my friend Darrell and I trolled all the way to dam without getting a strike. On the way back upstream, after they'd started generating we finally caught 2 Rainbows. The solunar table had a major feeding period between about 8-10 a.m. The fish entirely ignored that. The fish were feeding according to the TVA-Brookfield table.....whenever they generated. We pulled spoons, plugs, and hoochies to little avail. I nearly always catch a fish or two on my little crawdad plugs but they never got a strike on 'em. We probably all could of caught more fish if the tourney had been 10-6 a.m. so it coincided somewhat with the generating schedule....??? 

Are you telling me a trout can’t read a solunar table??? And here I thought they were supposed to be smart 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rusty50576 said:

Are you telling me a trout can’t read a solunar table??? And here I thought they were supposed to be smart 

 

I think this behavior demonstrates that they are smart and very adaptable. They like that flow and plan their days around it. I'd bet that they worship the god Cheoah….  :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Troutgirl said:

 

I think this behavior demonstrates that they are smart and very adaptable. They like that flow and plan their days around it. I'd bet that they worship the god Cheoah….  :wink:

I know smallmouth definitely plan their days according to TVA 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, there were quite a few options at Calderwood.  I fished mainly from Slickrock up to the dam.  All of my strikes came BEFORE they began generating.  The shallow areas (15' and up)  have plenty of debris and weed edges that hold lots of fish.  I ran heavier small spoons and plugs, nothing running deeper than 5-6'.  I can't explain the lack of hook ups, but we had enough to make it interesting.

 

Once the generating began the strength of the current along with the lake down a bit made it a bit harder.  Top water temp dropped from 72 down to 59.  I think cloud cover would have helped everywhere but a whole lot in those shallow areas I was running over.  Can't wait to try it again.

 

Shea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×