Sykohpath

Noob's first outing (Booker T State Park)

On Saturday, I went out and fished for the first time in 10+ years.  I've successfully upheld my family's tradition of not catching anything, too!

Since my "please help a noob" post last week, I've tried to follow the advice everyone posted, again thanks for the responses!  Spent more than I'm willing to admit on fishing gear, but that's one of the fun things about it, right?

Woke up at 6am (to the dismay of my cats and family) and was at the bait & tackle shop around 6:45 to get a bucket of minnows (figured I'd just buy some to start since I had no idea where to get them from nature at the time).  Asked for 2 dozen and drove down the road to the state park.  Arrived at the pier about 7:15 and there were already people setup and fishing, as expected.  I setup shop away from everyone and realized I had no idea how to actually put a minnow on a hook (thankfully brought my phone and looked up the info I was missing).  I brought 2 poles, one I had bought back when I fished with my father 20-something years ago, and the other was a "new" one that I had purchased from "Discount Supplies" (out of business) and re-tipped; apparently I did it right because no problems with it at all.  Both were roughly 6' spinning rods.  I had planned to stay out there until 9am, but stayed longer until 10am since I was enjoying the atmosphere as well as continued practicing knots, rigs, and casting.  I had quite a bit of trouble casting from the pier since it was covered (obliterated a minnow on the side of the rail, poor thing - turtle appreciated the food though) , and even then I am thinking my rods (or bad skill) is keeping me from casting very far.  I have a ~9' rod I'm tempted to try, don't know if it's worth it.

As mentioned previously, didn't catch a thing.  A small turtle helped keep the water clean by eating my bait (pic), and then had the nerve to get caught by some other fisherman.  Around 9, I packed up most my stuff and went shore-fishing with just one rod and a fake-bait.  Started with a Rapala SR-07 with a No-Snagg, but on my second cast I ended up throwing the whole rig out into the water - guess it was too heavy for my knot?  "Knot" sure, as it broke at the swivel.  I swapped to just a Rapala SR-08 and practiced moving that through the water.  As I was bringing it to shore, I noticed small schools of minnows chasing it which was cool to see. 

I drove to a different area away from everyone to a more secluded area that had a lot more weeds and looked like it was "less fished".  I saw fish jumping out of the water, so I swapped back to the Minnows and casted to those locations.  Rig was weight-bobber-hook to keep the minnow from going to deep, but I figured as it was getting warmer out and closer to 10am that the fish would be deeper, so gave more distance on my leader-line from hook to bobber.  Again, as I reeled to shore, small schools of minnows were chasing the one I had hooked.  For the fun of it, I dropped a bare hook into the water where I had led some minnows, and one of the little guys swallowed the hook and immediately spat it out; guess he didn't like the flavor of bare metal haha.  Gave me some great ideas of where to place some minnow traps in the future, though.

When I was done, I packed everything up and scouted other fishing locations I had looked up.  I'm likely going to hit Chester Frost next weekend and see how that goes.

Age-old question I have is, how do I actually catch something?  I never had much luck pier or shore-fishing, but I plan on Kayak fishing in the near future.  I assume just looking for where fish are jumping and just cast there and hope for the best?

Open to any advice and tips, thanks for reading!

IMG_2234.jpg

A long statement to read but interesting!  But don't be ashamed, each of us has done the same when we started.  ha ha.  I have been under the weather for weeks but being named "CRAPPIE CARTEL" on this TA, I am sorry to say that I have not kept up my reputation due to the high water & temps here in Knoxville area. Why drive 30 miles to Douglas, catch ( maybe) 1 crappie at 40 feet down, then go home?  Remember that practice makes perfect, even fishing-------    dada 8-5-19   8:25 AM

• Like 1

You make a good point, practice does make perfect!  I'm not sure I'm practicing right though haha.  I'm wondering if I should be targeting a specific fish (maybe one of the bass subspecies on Chickamauga Lake?) instead of broad-spectrum "hope to catch something" that I'm doing now.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Never fished Chick, but friends tell me they catch BIG bass there all the time.    dada 8-6-19   10:12 AM

• Like 1

It's tough?  Ok that makes me feel less bad haha.  I was thinking being on a kayak (or boat) would open up some better areas for me, maybe being able to get to deeper and less-popular areas.  I did a little bit more reading up, and seems like Largemouth Bass and Crappie (less often) are ones to go for.  White Bass scares easy so not sure about those.

One issue I was encountering on the piers was that I could see fish jumping further out, but too far to cast to.  Plus with more activity on the piers I would assume it's too "scary" for fish; hence why I saw schools of minnows along the shore when I decided to break-away later on in the morning. 

Just trying to formulate a good strategy for this upcoming weekend.  I may pick up some shad-rap #4 or smaller to match the sizes of the minnows I was seeing along the shore.  I want to try the no-snagg rig again but with better knots next time so I don't lose the whole fricking thing on my second cast haha.

The Chick is tough as are most lakes through the summer for bass anyways. Fished

in the early spring and late in fall can get you a huge LM. See guys on other forums posting pics of crappie now. But they live near that lake.

Go to Chester Frost, big park over there, and go fishing.    Redworms under slip float for bream.  Maybe a lively minnow for both crappie.  Drag a Texas rigged plastic worm and you might catch a bass.

But a guy using google to bait a hook might be trolling, if so you've caught a few!

• Like 1

I'm planning to hit Chester Frost this Sunday, will take your advice and aim for Crappie.  I haven't practiced Texas rig yet, but I have the stuff to do it.

I've previously only live-baited with worms so yeah really did have to google how to bait with a minnow haha!  But man the last time I caught something was Frenchman's Lake near Reno, NV about 25 years ago, so I'm overdue to catch something now, right?

There is lots of places in that area to park and lots of water to fish from the bank or a boat. Good luck

• Like 1

Oh boy,where to start? Learn(practice) the clinch knot and the palomar knot.wet the knot before you cinch it down.glad to hear your rigs gave you no problems.close the bail by hand,not turning the handle that will help cut down on line twist.read up on slip floats these will allow you to fish much deeper than a clip on bobber.cant go wrong with minnows...look at my post from yesterday.i,ll attach some pics of our slip  floats and rigs tomorrow.sorry i missed your initial post.

Edited by kwk
  • Like 3

Slide line through the little black knot tube,slide knot off towards the rof tip.slide black tube off,discard.titen the knot eough so it ts moveable but stays in place.plastic bead next is optional.float,1 weight about 12"" above hook,tie on hook.the loose knot ends may hang up in your guides while casting,if it is a constant issue,titen it down as much as possible and trim the loose ends.i prefer to leave yhem long so i can retiten the knot.you can even reel it onto the spool for fishing deeper than your rod length.

Edited by kwk
  • Like 2

Youre welcome,good luck.one more thing sometimes a slip float will lay over on its side instead of going under.that coud be a crappie bite or your set to deep and the weight/ hook are on the bottom.just adjust the knot in increments till the float sits upright.....youtube,just type in your interest.wealth of info on video there.

Edited by kwk
  • Like 2

kwk, gave your rigs a shot this past weekend at Chester Frost park; didn't catch anything (family tradition) but didn't lose anything either!

The split-shot weights I have are apparently too light; I did use two and the slip-float was sitting up properly once I did that (fortunately didn't twist the line this time).  I was also fishing in a weedy area, but using the Texas-rig lure using a wiggler worked just fine, didn't snag anything.  I didn't bother with Minnows this time around as I wanted to get some practice trying your suggestions.

Weeds ...not the best place for floatz.inside /outside.edges yes.....better off with something heavy.