Wolfman

Tellico on 7.15.19

Took the day off and fished Tellico with a co-worker from Wisconsin.  Got on the water at 8:30 and picked up five LMB in one creek mouth mid-lake by noon.  We saw some breaks and thought it was white bass but it turned out to be largies chasing shad.  We missed a couple more with short strikes and lost one at the boat. All came on a spook one knocker in bone color. Water temp was 85.  

Had a great lunch at Tanasi Grill and cooled off before heading to Upper Tellico to try the cooler waters.  Fished the back channel (right side of Harrison island) had about a 3-½ pound smallie on an underpin swim jig but he spit it at the boat.  Topwater bite was not happening today but it's looked so fishy up there.  Spotted several nice bass in the ultra clear water along with probably a 15 lb striper we almost ran over with the trolling motor.  Not a bad day considering the mid-summer heat.  Sure beats working.

• Like 4

It is tough fishing in the upper end of Tellico Lake. It's as clear as Chilhowee Lake which is gin clear. I've had a hard time catching many fish in there. There's usually Walleyes, Smallies, and Rainbows around but catching them is challenging.

Troutgirl, I am not going to give up on upper Tellico as hooking that nice smallie was enough to bring me back again.  As you know, the scenery there is nice and it's generally peaceful so I love to hang out up there.  When I finally get one from that area, I'll be sure snap a picture.

BTW, I think I've read every single post you've ever put up on this site so thanks for your contribution to this fishing community.  There are many of us here who really enjoy your posts and fishing insights. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words! I'm flattered! My old shoulders won't allow me to cast and cast all day anymore. I've trolled the upper end of Tellico Lake several times in recent years.  About my only rewards have been a couple of nice Walleyes. I never mark all that many fish and never a cloud of baitfish. I suspect most of the fish guard the creek mouths and that's where to cast for them. Trolling has been ineffective for the most part. There doesn't seem to be much bait out in the cold channel. I have not caught a single Rainbow on any of these trips. The few Smallies I caught were small. I've fished about as far downstream as where Carson Island was before the lake....where the lake finally gets really wide these days. I think about the river I used to float every time I'm out there....

• Like 1