Sign in to follow this  
Burton

Trying to catch alewives

I’m new to live bait for stripers and my first attempt to catch alewives was last night. We only caught 3 and not really sure they were even alewife. We were using a green light and seeing bait fish around 20 feet over 35 to 60 foot of water turning the light off when we cast the net. Is there any specific markings to look for to know it’s alewives? We were on Cherokee lake close to fishing pier. 

It is kind of like fishing. It is catching sometimes. Full moon makes it difficult. The alewife does look like a small skipjack. Both are herring.

• Thanks 1

Caught some alewife tonight but I think my net webbing is too big. I have a betts deep hole 10 ft with 5/8 webbing. Should it be 3/8 ? Every one I caught was hung in the net by the gills. 

1 hour ago, Burton said:

Caught some alewife tonight but I think my net webbing is too big. I have a betts deep hole 10 ft with 5/8 webbing. Should it be 3/8 ? Every one I caught was hung in the net by the gills. 

Yes 3/8

• Thanks 1

That would be 3/8 mesh not webbing.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, ecox said:

That would be 3/8 mesh not webbing.

I have a betts old salt deep hole 8ft 3/8 mesh that supposed to be delivered today.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, Burton said:

I have a betts old salt deep hole 8ft 3/8 mesh that supposed to be delivered today.

When I net that is what I use.

• Thanks 1