fishnfool

Trolling Motor Torque/Noise

I put a Motorguide Pro Series 75 on my Ranger R70 Sport last year replacing a 35 lb unit that was under powered and noisy. Now I have plenty of power but the mounting bracket still flexes and pops (very annoying) even at the lowest power setting. The unit is currently mounted directly to the boat. I've seen quick release mounting bases but don't know if that would fix the flexing/popping.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate the flex/popping noise?

I've been transferring some rubber bushings (like extra thick rubber washers) that came with one of my past Minn Kota trolling motors.  They go on the bolts as you push them through the holes in the deck of the boat.  Not only do they provide the flexing needed for torque from the motor, but they also help water proof the holes through the deck when they are compress as you tighten down the mounting bolts.  They are now on the third Minn Kota trolling motor on my Stratus.  Don't know where you could actually find something like that.

• Like 1

Sounds like you got too much flex already. Some flex is good, but I wouldn't want to add any more. The rubber will help quiet things down but I'm not a fan personally. A lot of MG's used to come with the smaller bolts with the rubber inserts. I always got sick of them loosening up and ended up drilling bigger holes to use bigger nuts and bolts than those little BS 1/4" ones. Double nut on the bottom and don't look back.

Maybe you can find a used gator mount around. These guy's suggestions can help no doubt and I'd try some of them first. However, the rails on your mount flex easy because they're kind of flimsy. A Gator mount would help that. Just saying.

• Like 1