TXredfish

Braided line and leader

I throw spinner baits, crankbaits and worms...............

6/20 or 8/30 braid with spinnerbaits & cranks, depending on lure weight - no leader. 6/20 braid with Texas rigged plastics, 17lb mono leader, 18" to 20" long. I use a ball bearing swivel between the mono and braid, connected with Palomar knots. I generally target smallmouth. If you use heavy lures for LMB, you may need to use higher test line.
  • Like 1

Same as Larry (20/6 and 30/8) mostly for smallmouth, seldom with a leader. Leader is needed for me, when fishing bottom lures in rocky areas, more for abrasion resistance than for a visibility issue.

I use ten pound braid through a small bead then a small barrel swivel tied to fluorocarbon 24" leader to the lure for LONG casting to striper/hybrids. The bead stops the swivel from going into the eyes when I get excited when I see a heard of top water fish knocking shad out of the water and tail flopping. ron

• Like 1

The bead stops the swivel from going into the eyes when I get excited when I see a heard of top water fish knocking shad out of the water and tail flopping. ron

Hey...I know that feeling! :happy:

I use Seaguar 20lb for a leader on 50lb Power Pro on my flipping rod, no leader on my frog rod. I only keep one fairy wan...er, spinning rod in the boat and it has Nanofil with 8lb Seaguar leader. Everything else is just fluorocarbon..... I have no use for mono. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I use Seaguar 20lb for a leader on 50lb Power Pro on my flipping rod, no leader on my frog rod. I only keep one fairy wan...er, spinning rod in the boat and it has Nanofil with 8lb Seaguar leader. Everything else is just fluorocarbon..... I have no use for mono. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fairy Wand! Ouch! :D I need to man up and get a real bass rod LOL

For stripers, running 65lb power pro on my Avets, a Polamar knot to flouro. Depending on where and the size fish I expect to catch, anywhere from 20 to 50 pound floro.

On my "finesse" spinning rod I use NanoFil in 6# and seaguar red label 6#, I use a 15-20' leader and I tie it with a surgeons knot going thru the main loop 6 times. I know some of you think a 15-20 leader is nut'z but there is a reason. My "finesse" rod only sees 1/16-1/8 oz hair jigs or a 1/8 oz silicone jig that I tie or a gulp minnow on a 1/16 oz head. If by chance I do get hung up that length of leader allows me (most times) to get the fluro back on the spool and I never break my main line to leader connection, this has been the best set up for me for 3 years. The surgeons knot shoots thru the guides with no restrictions and that is the best knot I have ever used and I have tied all of them. I also have the same set up on my jerkbait/wacky/shakey head rod but I step up to 8# on both lines. Try it sometime, I think you will be very pleased.

Edited by MISSION JIGS
  • Like 1

on bass rig for throwin jigs n plastics t and c rig 30# spiderwire neon. I always use a leader with any braid. I like trilene xl green or p line green. 10-12 lb test w the double uni knot and have real good results. three main reasons I use a leader 1 clearer than braid, 2 a lot more abrasion resistant than braid (wears better) and knot don't slip. 3 probably most important for me it acts as a shock absorber I really Set the Hook! and I know everybody will say Duh! set ur drag! but i need the cushion of that 5-6' leader. it also helps when getting lures to pop loose when hung. good luck Set the Hook !

• Like 1

luv braid 20# on spinning and 30# on casting using whatever size mono leader I chose depending on water clarity, structure n so on. I use mono instead of fluro because of stretch , durability and abrasion resistance. the double uni knot is the best way to connect the two so far , I use a leader roughly the length of the rod . Set the hook !

To revive an old thread, I ran across a good article on braid by Bobby Lane.  He mentions the pro's used it on Falcon because of it's abrasion resistance and the fact that it sinks and the fish were deep.  He doesn't use generally it for crankbaits except lipless cranks (and spinnerbaits) around vegetation.  He also mentioned braid worked well for finesse fishing.

I've never used braid, recently bought a spool of 6/20...now I just need to decide what rig/technique I'm going try it on....since there's no stretch, and I'm so used to hard hook sets, I'd be afraid to use it without a leader....

http://www.bassedge.com/pages/show/Bobby_Lane_talks_braided_line

Here's another article on using braid for topwater.

http://www.wired2fish.com/mono-vs-braided-line-for-bass-fishing-with-topwaters/

• Like 2