gd77punk

Is a patch even possible?

Been a while! Heresy, I know, but I haven't been hanging out here mostly because I haven't been fishing much. No, I didn't go vegan, just been hiking more and fishing less, as per the doc's orders, and I think I might like it. 

Some of you may remember a couple of years ago my canoe was hit by a drunk driver and it bent the right gunnel just in front of the rear seat. I was finally able to free it from the garage last year and took it to the lake, solo. It paddled and balanced fine, was just a bit akward with the bent gunnel. I had a coworker who was interested in it so last year I gave it to him. Free. He came to work a couple weeks later and said it was leaking from the bow and I offered to help with repair. 

Fast forward nearly a year and he is finally getting around to doing something about it. He has already opened the panels but has not removed the foam, he says it appears to be held by adhesive. Today he brought a few pictures of the problem, from the outside, and it's not pretty. It also was not like this when I gave it away, though it is possible the bow leaked as I sat in the stern seat while testing (and it later got drug by a horse)

I'm curious, is there a process that can patch this? Is it scrap time? What do y'all think?

IMG_20190426_102856.jpg

IMG_20190426_102912.jpg

A buddy of mine patches ones that have been annihilated with Kevlar. He works on the ocoee so the ones he fixes are basically folded in half 

Thanks for the replies. Seems it is possible, and there are a couple of options. Going to look first into plastic welding as the equipment is available to us, call Coleman to match the plastic, and go trom there.

Thanks for the invite Mizan, I'm afraid I'm no noob, just shifted gears. I still dink and dunk it's just no longer my focus.  If Jamey revoked my lifetime I can't blame him as I'm not very active here these days. 

Spray it with Flexsteel or some truck bed liner.   Still might not look pretty but it shouldn't leak either.

Spray the entire outside. 

You can buy patch kits right off the shelf. Check anywhere canoes/ kayaks are sold. Well maybe not K mart or Walmart. I’ve patched mine more than once. Do a patch on the inside and the outside.  Call me El Cheapo!

That is a horrifying thing to happen to a perfectly good boat.it may be ugly but its under water fish dont care.resin resin and more resin(a prayer wont hurt either) .

14 hours ago, kwk said:

That is a horrifying thing to happen to a perfectly good boat.it may be ugly but its under water fish dont care.resin resin and more resin(a prayer wont hurt either) .

:rofl: