dada

Douglas crappie spawn

IMG_0360.thumb.JPG.a2afd00520b8e22d06e82c9e97fcb0de.JPGWent alone today & got 12 large crappie 3 cats & 1 drum. + a few throwbacks. Water temp dropped back to 66 this AM,  2 days ago, it was 68. Crappie were back in deeper water, hitting boards & longlines.  All were still full of roe.  My  biggest was 14".   2 boats said they didn't get any crappie casting close to shore & didn't try my way. dada 4-13-19  8:53 PM 

• Like 5

That’s a nice mess!  Thanks for the update!  Me and a friend got 21 keepers and some throwbacks today fishing 11:00-6:00.  Mostly whites and some females with roe.   What blacks we caught were dark black males, no ladies.  I think most the female blacks are or have laid out.  Same water temp.  Caught some up shallow on the bank once the sun came out in the evening, but what we caught early in the trip were suspended.  

• Like 1

Everything I saw on the sonar today was no higher than 10'.. Caught a half dozen nice females fishing those depths, and a couple of tiny ones shallow early.

• Like 1

OPPS! My wife took the pic with my CAPTAIN'S hat off & the cleaning hat on. That strange "fish" in the middle is dada. LOL   4-14-19  10:51 AM

4 hours ago, kwk said:

What was the hot bait/ color?well done..

Kwk

As far as us, we used many different things in the tackle box trying to get them to hit better and nothing seemed to work any better than the other.  Tube jigs, Bobby Garland baby shads, crappie magnets,  even minnows all with similar results.  

I get it, water color temp. etc is everything.center hill tuesday,i,m sure its a totally different bite.but all the lakes are clearing up .full intention of targeting crappie but a school of whites or spots busting bait in the middle of a cove could change that plan...quick.if i took a pic of my crappie jig box would yall input?

Edited by kwk

Every fisherman has many boxes, but a plain yellow 1/8 oz jig  & medium minnow worked for me.  dada 4-14-19  9:3 PM

3 hours ago, kwk said:

I get it, water color temp. etc is everything.center hill tuesday,i,m sure its a totally different bite.but all the lakes are clearing up .full intention of targeting crappie but a school of whites or spots busting bait in the middle of a cove could change that plan...quick.if i took a pic of my crappie jig box would yall input?

Kwk

I’d use a 1/16 or 1/32 oz jig head (1/32 if fishing 0-4 feet and 1/16 if 4-10 feet) with the Bass Assassins/Bobby Garlands you have in the box.  I use some of those same colors myself.  We use these jig heads and baits either tight lined, under a float, and vertical jigging depending on what structure/cover we are fishing.   

Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t fish any water deeper than than 10 feet.

Hope this helps you put some slabs in the livewell.

• Like 1

Well i learned a bit.there is actually some pretty good advice on u tube as well if you weed through the dumass,s.one guy made a great point" look for eroded cliff faces" point being there were most likley trees there at one time,probably underwater and out of sight now....SI will spot them....darned good advice there.at what point do you get destitute enough to use pink jigs,thats my biggest question.my apologies to dada for hijacking his thread and great report.

Edited by kwk

2 hours ago, kwk said:

Well i learned a bit.there is actually some pretty good advice on u tube as well if you weed through the dumass,s.one guy made a great point" look for eroded cliff faces" point being there were most likley trees there at one time,probably underwater and out of sight now....SI will spot them....darned good advice there.at what point do you get destitute enough to use pink jigs,thats my biggest question.my apologies to dada for hijacking his thread and great report.

KWK, My thread is available to all. I get a lot of good advice from other members, fish with some great members all the time. TA offers the best buy available!  I tried the others- not  acceptable!!!!!!!   dada  4-15-19  9:38 PM

• Like 2

As for the jig box, a wise man once told me that any color is great as long as it's chartreuse...LOL. And I probably use it 90% of the time.....

I like slider grubs but Bobby Garlands and curly tails are just as good I'm sure. 

DaDa has wisdom,KISS ( keep it simple stupid) its only rocket science when conditions are less than perfect.agree with FF.i love chartreuse...ive seen it outcatch live bait many times,even in clear water....but really when do you guys put a pink plastic on...? Thats just wrong and that is a fish that just flat out wants to die. Just my 2 cents.rather go home tail between my legs ...pink uggh.

Edited by kwk

Sometimes the crappie wants different colors, even hourly! I have used pink & caught,  but  mostly  chartruse works better. Today,  I only caught 1 good crappie & a 4" drum on plain hook & minnow.  Tomorrow, I go upstream & hopefully get  a limit. Water was 62 downstream. dada 4-16-19  8:54 PM

You are the go to guy,no doubt.i will post results from our efforts on Huricane on center hill tomorrow.the wife already says pink( ish)  will be the winner.me...ive got 5 doz. tuffie pinheads minnows we,ll see who wins ?

Edited by kwk

Pink and most shades of red are standard colors for smallmouth too.

I know different colors for different days but pink is a winner some days.

You got pink in your box, try it sometime.

O.K. fellas & gals.  Here's the scoop.  Today,  Charger 1 & I  caught most of our 11 crappie,  10 white bass (or stripers,  durnnit!) & 2 drum on PINK FLIES & MINNOWS> We got them on longlines.  Water temp-66 with lots of debris coming down the lake. The other few we got on Chartruse/yellow jigs with minnows.    dada 4-17-19    5:08 PM

• Like 1

Going back to center hill tuesday,got another hour of engine breakin but will go back to the small cove with lumber,curious to see if the crappie have moved on shore.obviously will be doing some looking while running the engine,vary RPM,s up to 4500 once every 10 minutes for 1 minute open it up...bla bla makes for a busted up fishing day...just me and a bud...open seat.pm if anyone wants to go. No gas money required,6 pack of coors original and slim jims will fly.