Sign in to follow this  
killeroy154

1st time out this year

Saturday was the first time on the water in maybe 5 months. The old johnson on my Norris Craft blew a piston last year, and I sold it. Been looking for a fish and ski and landed on this one a week ago 20190330_152432-1.jpeg I mounted the bimini top Saturday morning while wife packed a lunch. Got to the ramp, which was packed, and I backed in and floated it off. Battery dead to starting motor! Got on trolling motor to get it out of every ones way, and it didn't run either, kricky! Not a good start. I charged the batteries the other day and everything seemed fine. The original registration on it expired in 2016, so I knew it would need some attention. I swapped the batteries while my wife parked the truck, and I was ready to fire it up by the time she got back.

The evinrude fired up with a little effort. It took it several minutes to get the gas and sea-foam cleaner moving through the carbs, and it started purring along. We spent 4 hours or so running around with the O-Brother sound track playing on the stereo. Wife loves the windshield and top.

Going to be spending about 3 days camping on Ft. Loudon or Tellico this coming Thursday. If I get lucky enough to catch anything I'll post about it, if I don't catch anything you won't hear from me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Boat looks nice and I understand it needing attention. Bought 1998 Skeeter back in the fall and I've done a lot of "attention chores"

Enjoy the camping and I hope you catch some gooduns.

A small jumper box can save the day.  I got a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it's come in handy.

Killroy, Nitro has a clip-on  piece of salvage cover that he places on the bottom  walk-thru area. Makes for even a better wind blocker.  Nice looking rig.   dada  4-1-19  8:15 AM

Thanks Tubejig, I need to get one just in case. It sure is a pain rolling the batteries.

Hey Dada, I was wondering about a cover for that spot. I didn't know they actually made something for it.

Fishnfool, you are right, but it's all part of the fun.

Thanks you all. I'll try not to fudge any on what I catch while camping.... I'd hate for my nose to get any longer.

• Like 1

Nice looking rig... Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, been there and done that a time or two...  Last week, at a local ramp, one guy ahead of me splashed his boat,  then cranked, and cranked until the batteries were dead.. The other had a pontoon that wouldn't stay running.. neither had been run in some time.. 'tis the season.

Edited by miket55

Can happen even when the boat has not been put up all winter.  Last fall, I was up with the grandson on Watts bar.  Had put the boat in the water and ran it.  We got ready to leave to fish and it wouldn't crank.  Charged it a while and it ran great.  Went fishing and ran the trolling motor a good while.  When I tried the crank the motor, it wouldn't turn over.  I started to troll back to the dock (which would have taken a while if the battery lasted), but I thought I'd try something I haven't ever tried on this rig (bought it new in 2003).  I dug in the storage bin and got my owner's manual packet out.  In it was a pull rope.  Popped the cowling, turn on the key, one tug and it fired.  You would be amazed how easy it was to turn over that 115 Yamaha with a pull rope.  Found out wihen I looked that the cranking battery was 8 years old.

I love a boat that has windshields. Great looking rig!

Thank you, I have been having a few issues with it, so I haven't done much fishing yet. I'll get it worked out.