Jusfishn

Finally got on the water...

Finally made it out for a day on the lake. But before I was able to get the boat wet I had to deal with what seemed like every boat owner in Tennessee on the highway and then once I got out of that nightmare I got to set in line, at daybreak, to get my turn to put in.  I know the lake is for everyone but I'd swear if 90 percent of the bass fisherman you deal with just seem like such arrogant jerks.  250 hp motor, 70 mph hole to hole fish 5 minutes and off again. The water was relatively smooth other than the wave pool caused by the bass punks. 

Anyways off my soapbox.  So the crappie are very confused right now. They are there stacked up but not in much of a mood to cooperate.  Seemed to be in the top 15 ft of water. I only caught one and missed a bigger fish, drum or white bass I figure. Fished lower end of lake. Planer boards, jigs and plastic.  53.5 water temp with dingy water. Maybe when the water stabilizes they will do better. 

Oh and for the funny of the day..... so I'm setting there around 930 just watching the poles. Got my German shepherd with me who is only 9 months old and this is his 2nd time on boat. As I pay attention to poles I hear a loud curplump... lol.... like a big rock being dropped from a bridge. Yep it was the dog. He thought there would be a bottom under there. Down he goes for what seemed like 5 minutes and when he came up u could tell he regretted it lol. Luckily he had his collar on and I was able to get him back in. Once back in the boat he had the funniest look like, oh boy did I make a stupid decision lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

Thanks for the post, were You on Douglas ?

Lol would've been some helpful insight huh? Lol

Yea I was on doogles. Fished the lower half of lake. Figured it would be the clearest part.  

4 hours ago, TrophyLakerTaker said:

Thanks for the crappie post and update.  Bass master classic on Douglas this weekend.  Thus the traffic jam.  I like the phrase bass punks!  It should get better with warmer clearer water

Is bassmaster on douglas? Thought it was on tn river or loudon .... bass punks is my PC term. I have worse I whisper silently lol

Dandridge was "empty" of rigs this AM at 8:30. The Geico Bass was at Ft. Loudon this weekend  To make matters worse, Charger 1 & I didn't get one crappie bite down from the ramp, nor down around Muddy Creek. (Wednesday, we got 12 good ones)  We could see  fish on the fishfinder  at both places,  mostly near the top, but they had  LOCKJAW today!  dada   3-17-19  2:38 PM

It was a nice day, Saturday, and you think a crowded boat ramp on Saturday is unusual.

it's a public ramp, it's gonna be that way every Saturday until at least Thanksgiving. Perhaps you should get used to it or pick another day. I'd rather fish mid-week if possible.

I bass fish primarily although I fish for crappie too.   I see and deal with crappy crappie fishing people all the time.  Mostly older folks who take an inordinate time on the ramp. Some of them unload their coolers and such while parked on the ramp.  some of them are just older folks out to enjoy the day. No need to get your panties in a wad, I think how I hope when the years catch up to me that I can still go, even if someone thinks it's there own private lake.

Life's short, enjoy it.    

Edited by Tubejig
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tubejig said:

It was a nice day, Saturday, and you think a crowded boat ramp on Saturday is unusual.

it's a public ramp, it's gonna be that way every Saturday until at least Thanksgiving. Perhaps you should get used to it or pick another day. I'd rather fish mid-week if possible.

I bass fish primarily although I fish for crappie too.   I see and deal with crappy crappie fishing people all the time.  Mostly older folks who take an inordinate time on the ramp. Some of them unload their coolers and such while parked on the ramp.  some of them are just older folks out to enjoy the day. No need to get your panties in a wad, I think how I hope when the years catch up to me that I can still go, even if someone thinks it's there own private lake.

Life's short, enjoy it.    

Hey where did the bass fishing hotline number go Rick??? I need some pointers! For starters I realized all classic competitors fish way downstream of where I do

5 hours ago, Tubejig said:

Life's short, enjoy it.    

Lol, I'm a very easy going guy that as I've aged takes quite a bit to get me going. But when u pull in to a public ramp such as Dandridge and u have 3 rigs setting side by side blocking the whole left lane shooting the breeze holding up 5 rigs in a line I think that's pretty ridiculous.  Then if that isn't good enough you are on the lake coming out of a cove into the main body and swerve 3 times to avoid a collision and finally just shut your boat down and stop because instead of watching where they are going they are watching there speedometer to see if they have hit 70mph yet and then have the tenacity to throw their arms up in the air like it's my fault and proceed to warp it around and come be confrontational then change their mind when it's a big man with a German shepherd and they are young bass punks. It's just ridiculous that most of them guys cant act like they have a brain and slow down and be respectful.  Those fish aren't going no where and as bad as they wanna pretend like they are in the bassmaster they aint. So like you said, they need to slow down and enjoy life.

As far as the old men taking their time and just making sure they have everything,  if I never get in the water I'm fine as long as they make it out there safely and enjoy themselves. They have earned the right to take their time. 

No doubt I used the generalization of 90 percent of bass fisherman too quickly. But it only takes one or two idiots to give a bad taste. Their are good and bad in all of us. But I've never had a crappie,cat,striper fisherman nearly run me over or put me in a wave pool b4. Most will agree.....

Tubejig, who's complaining about a ramp with  only 3 rigs parked there?  That is what I call EMPTY. We launched in less than 2 minutes!  at Dandridge ramp.  dada  3-18-19   3:07 PM

I edited a bit Rusty!  Ain't much worried about other people. I'm only responsible for my  own actions.  I'm not much on arguing or complaining on the internet.  Had to check myself.

I can deal with whatever comes my way. Don't take a dog but I do have an equalizer in my boat.   I understand a need to vent. 

As for fisherman trying to run over me and or cause excessive wakes, its happened several times by little boats and big boats.  Get cut off by crappie fisherman a few times each spring in river near Leadvale.  Had striper boats on Cherokee practically wash me up on the bank. I didn't get mad at every crappie or every striper guy. 

I've never played judge, jury and executioner on all the crappie or striper guys. i have stood toe to toe with a few on the ramp, younger and dumber I reckon. If I ever get that upset again I'll sell my bass punk boat.

Dada, I'm not complaining.  I'm happy.  

Used to be that if someone saw a boat fishing (anchored) you would slow down to minimal wake, pass them and continue on.  Is that not the case anymore?    As far as "ramp" time I usually launch by myself and it takes a few more minuets longer.  But i stage everything before I launch and move the boat to the other side of the dock if possible.  Yeah being 62 I take a little longer but i am still polite about it.  Jusfishn is right, life is short so be respectful and enjoy the time on the water.

• Like 2

64 yrs old. Get cantankerous sometimes. Fish alone sometimes. Takes a bit. No big deal. Try to fish mid-week. Fish a few Saturday tournaments and I do empathize with the guy that gets in the middle of all that just wanting to go fishing. But I've learned to expect crowds at the larger ramps and choose alternate location. Public places requires patience.  

life is short, enjoy it.  

I would rather a bass boat be on plane and pass than have someone slow down and push a 3 ft. Wake under my rigs. It’s like trying to catch grouper off the bottom in 8ft. High waves. If I pass on plane with a little speed through some trollers, I’m just trying to keep ya in the strike zone.

• Like 4

I'd rather be passed the same way, just not real close. Less commotion.  

A group of kayakers, spelling??, told me the  same thing.

• Like 1

I would rather a bass boat be on plane and pass than have someone slow down and push a 3 ft. Wake under my rigs. It’s like trying to catch grouper off the bottom in 8ft. High waves. If I pass on plane with a little speed through some trollers, I’m just trying to keep ya in the strike zone.
I agree. I was out in the canoe and a bass boat slowed to an idle to pass. I waved nicely to him. Then a small runabout came around and slowed also, very polite of him, and I smiled and waved, but crap! the wake from that thing about washed me out. Fun and exciting rollers tho. Fishing sucked anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3