Sign in to follow this  
Fishfanatic

DEEP HOLE CASTING NET

Do any of you striper guys use this type net for catching alewives in the spring/summer? I’ve got a 10 foot x 1.25 lb per foot and man it’s tough to throw. Since I’m down at the lake at dark trying to net alewives drawing them in close with a green light, shouldn’t I just go with a regular net maybe an 8 footer about the same weight so it will fall faster? With the 10 footer I rarely throw a full pancake, usually about 2/3rd open. I do catch plenty of shad but few alewives. Any thoughts on what maybe a better net size wise and type I should try? Is the deep hole really necessary or use your basic cast net?

I use the Old Salt 8 foot deep hole net. Betts makes one also. It has a band above the sinkers that makes it sink slow but open wide open until you pull to close. Best use is when you are seeing bait below 20 feet or using the lights at night. Turn the light off just as you cast the net to catch the night time alewife. The deep hole net is necessary for me.

24 minutes ago, ecox said:

I use the Old Salt 8 foot deep hole net. Betts makes one also. It has a band above the sinkers that makes it sink slow but open wide open until you pull to close. Best use is when you are seeing bait below 20 feet or using the lights at night. Turn the light off just as you cast the net to catch the night time alewife. The deep hole net is necessary for me.

Thanks ecox I’ll keep doing what I’ve done in the past then but probably look for a smaller net.