dada

White bass vs Rockfish

Gaylen & I fished Melton Hill  on 1-7-19 for crappie.  No crappie, but caught 1 catfish & a dozen ,  or so, LARGE white bass on fly/minnows. My question- At 2-3 # each, were these ROCKFISH?  I didn't  check the bumps on the tongue , but they were caught 2 at a  time. These were caught out from Carbide (now Clark) Park. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to ID  these fish? Melton used to  have plenty of yellow perch & crappie & this is the first  time  I  fished that area.   dada   1-11-19   9:46 AM

Edited by dada

I've got a buddy that has been getting limits of crappie out on Melton. I don't know how or where though. The best way to tell white bass from striper is the body shape. Melton Hill has a lot of both species 

Edited by rusty50576

Likely white bass since numbers are extremely small. TWRA does not stock Melton Hill. There is a few escape from the hatchery and the brood fish is all. Body shape is easiest way to tell for me.

You're on to something dada. I'd bet they was rockfish and they have ate all the crappie out of there like they did at Cherokee.  U may have to start rock fishing. :stir_pot:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Derrick,  turtles have to eat too! Now you know why I don.t fish Cherokee & Norris anymore----SO MANY HUNGRY TURTLES!  dada 1-11-19   3:43 PM

• Like 3

They possibly are hybrids, which typically run 2 - 3 #.  The way to tell (according to the TWRA Fish ID chart) is that the lateral lines on the hybrids are broken.  They are also slightly darker than the white bass.

Not likely hybrids since Eagle Bend does not produce hybrids. The hybrids come from other hatcheries. Most likely female white bass but could be small striped bass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tnanney said:

They possibly are hybrids, which typically run 2 - 3 #.  The way to tell (according to the TWRA Fish ID chart) is that the lateral lines on the hybrids are broken.  They are also slightly darker than the white bass.

This is where things can get a little confusing because the stripes are broken on every single white bass. The way to tell HYBRID from ROCKFISH is the broken stripes . Distinguishing a white bass from a hybrid can be tricky if not impossible but distinguishing a white bass from a rockfish is easy 

Edited by rusty50576
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, dloveday said:

I am inclined to think they are juvenile rockfish and that soon there will be huge hordes of them chomping on crappie.  

Everybody hopes they are. (except maybe one)

• Like 2

The thing I look for is a white bass will have that one center stripe that goes all the way into the tail. Hybrid will most times have two or more. 

I’ve been guiding for stripers and hybrids for 3 decades. Lots of folks get in trouble with the Man for not accurately indentifying these fish. Some folks have given a little misinformation here. I have photos of pure strain stripers with broken lines and hybrids without a single broken line so you can not judge the species by the lines. Only the tongue patches. A two pound striper will be shaped like a cigar and almost 20 inches long. A two pound white bass will be shaped more like a football and be 15 inches long. Stripers lines are extremely dark, hybrids a bit lighter and white bass even lighter still. Check your tooth patch chart. It’s the only way to identify them or hit me up and I can show you through a series of photos from my client book the difference.