Sign in to follow this  
Fishfanatic

WHAT FLUOROCARBON LEADER TO USE?

Wondering what fluorocarbon leader to use for striper that’s tough against abrasions. The leader i use now breaks a lot while fighting smallmouth. It’s not fluorocarbon it’s fluorocarbon coated. Decided to start spooling 100% fluorocarbon main line but need advice on the leader. Seaquar Abraiz maybe? Also how long should the leader be for downlining striper in Cherokee?

Edited by Fishfanatic

Where does it break?  I spool with braid and use a leader.  

My experience is that straight floro is somewhat brittle and has little stretch.  I have used Seguar and Yo-Zuri.  Ended up giving up on it.  I could never get a terminal knot that was reliable.  I think you have to use several feet of the stuff, i.e. 10-12 before it has enough stretch.  

I like Seguar. About 3 feet leader.

Fitzgerald Fishing has some really good flouro and braid. Only place I know that carries it is Bucks N Bass in Dandridge.

Not really a big fan of flouro but Fitzgerald has changed my thinking.  Very good knot retention. The braid could be one of the best around. Green is my choice.

FWIW

Thanks! I’m going to try a few different brands and see which I like best. Only reason I would use it at all is because it kinda disappears in the water. Otherwise I’ve always liked mono but if the fluorocarbon increases our chances of catching stripers I’m all ears.