Sign in to follow this  
Fishfanatic

THERMOCLINE

I realize the thermocline is over and done with after the fall turnover. Does it set up in June at Cherokee? I’m guessing it would be 25-30 feet from the surface? Does this play a vital role in the summertime when downlining for stripers? I’ve noticed in mid- June sometimes the stripers are at 50 feet, thought that would be out of their comfort zone oxygen wise. Unless there is current down there from the old main channel or creek channels supplying oxygen?

Yes you can often see the thermocline but I don't think that is on this picture. There is no thermocline right now as the water is homogenized top to bottom. That is likely plankton or sometimes a mud line shows like that.

A thermocline starts to develop in the early spring in still waters where the water can stratify. It starts on the surface as the cold winter water is warmed and warm water stays on the surface and cold water sinks. The thin layer on the surface gets thicker as the summer continues to warm it. The only oxygen entering the water is from the atmosphere when cold water sinks and caries it down at "lake turnover" in Sept. & Oct at this latitude. The dissolved oxygen is depleted in the lower level below the thermocline slowly throughout  the summer from respiration and decay of organic material.    

• Like 2

The striper are seeking thermal refuge from the warm water above the thermocline. There is good  dissolved oxygen at all depth until July. 

Every now and then on my Lowrance, I can pick up a thermocline.  Typically in deeper water.  Usually about 40' or so of a lightly colored band.  

On 11/3/2018 at 7:15 PM, ecox said:

Yes you can often see the thermocline but I don't think that is on this picture. There is no thermocline right now as the water is homogenized top to bottom. That is likely plankton or sometimes a mud line shows like that.

A thermocline starts to develop in the early spring in still waters where the water can stratify. It starts on the surface as the cold winter water is warmed and warm water stays on the surface and cold water sinks. The thin layer on the surface gets thicker as the summer continues to warm it. The only oxygen entering the water is from the atmosphere when cold water sinks and caries it down at "lake turnover" in Sept. & Oct at this latitude. The dissolved oxygen is depleted in the lower level below the thermocline slowly throughout  the summer from respiration and decay of organic material.    

It is...dropped a fishhawk down the water column, and the temperature readings confirmed the depth of the thermcline..This pic was taken in early September on a lake in WI.. the only pic I have..

• Like 1