Sign in to follow this  
Fishfanatic

HYBRID/STRIPER DOWNLINING

Curious as to what lb main line and leader to use. I’ve heard 15 lb main and 10 lb leader is the norm on Cherokee with the leader being fluorocarbon? I know a guy that spools his reels 100% with fluorocarbon but that’s too pricey for me.

Each line has some good and poor qualities. Each place you fish has some needs that are different so MY needs for CHEROKEE is live bait down lines fluorocarbon 15 with terminal 10 or 12 pound. I also use some bottom fishing poles that have 20 pound mono with fluorocarbon leader (mono don't sink). I also use some 80 braid to troll and cast artificial with.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ecox said:

Each line has some good and poor qualities. Each place you fish has some needs that are different so MY needs for CHEROKEE is live bait down lines fluorocarbon 15 with terminal 10 or 12 pound. I also use some bottom fishing poles that have 20 pound mono with fluorocarbon leader (mono don't sink). I also use some 80 braid to troll and cast artificial with.

Have you ever tried the KastKing Fluorokote? Wonder if it would be a good (economical) substitute for fluorocarbon.

I have tried some coated lines that work ok. I try not to become brand loyal on anything that does not deserve it. I use what I know works even if the cost is more.

6 hours ago, ecox said:

I have tried some coated lines that work ok. I try not to become brand loyal on anything that does not deserve it. I use what I know works even if the cost is more.

I agree with the ole “you get what you pay for”...going to order a 1000 yd spool of a highly rated 100% fluorocarbon. Anything to better our luck will be worth it.