Sign in to follow this  
Fishfanatic

KEEPING LIVE BAIT ALIVE

Was curious how to care for live bait while out on the lake. Do you use lake water and if so how deep are you drawing it from in the summer months? Or would tap water be better? I’ve got a 40 gallon extreme bait tank that has a Danko venturi in the bottom. It makes a lot of tiny bubbles and also circulates the water. Doesn’t have a spray bar or anything to agitate the water at the surface. Do you think this type of bait tank will do good for keeping gizzard shad alive all day? What temperature range should I keep the water in the tank at by using frozen bottles of water? I’m thinking of using water softener salt pellets, 2 cups per 40 gallon and foam off only.

You can't go wrong with 65 to 70 degree water. I do not like tap water. All your other info is good.

• Like 1

If your tap water is processed, it will probably have chlorine, that will kill minnows fast! When I try to keep minnows, I always get local creek water & change it often. Also, a battery or electric aerator  keeps oxygenating the  water. A pinch of cornmeal every 2 days, OR replacing the water containing  microbodies that the minnows feed on,, helps. Finally, don't use ice cubes, use frozen cola plastic bottles of ice when those minnows starts surfacing.   dada   10-24-18  7:41 PM

Edited by dada
  • Like 1

Be careful about temperature change from the lake to the tank.  More than about 5 degrees is

harmful.

After you net the bait, I usually put them into a bucket of water for a few minutes.  Then lift them out of the water into the tank.  Do not dump the slime and scales into the tank. 

Filters, keep your filters clean.  When they first go in, check about every 10 minutes.  After they purge and quit sliming, check less frequently.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 3:44 PM, TNKen said:

Be careful about temperature change from the lake to the tank.  More than about 5 degrees is

harmful.

After you net the bait, I usually put them into a bucket of water for a few minutes.  Then lift them out of the water into the tank.  Do not dump the slime and scales into the tank. 

Filters, keep your filters clean.  When they first go in, check about every 10 minutes.  After they purge and quit sliming, check less frequently.

Thanks TNKen, in the summer should I draw lake water from around 20 feet deep? I believe the water would be maybe 10-12 degrees cooler? Pump that cooler water into the bait tank and bucket of water, after a few minutes transfer them to the bait tank. Then gradually cool the bait tank water to 65-70 degrees with frozen bottles of ice?

Edited by Fishfanatic