kwk

line size and the old question"why does the one guy in the boat catch more" ?

We got a invite from a friend of the wench she used to work with,retired,moved to fairfield.glade, 7/10 ? Private lakes.the one we fished 125 acres,crystal clear water.he never fished there.his boat,....garmin was not working...ugghh we,re fishing blind. So looking for surface activity,hit a cove,..throwing plastics large & small nothing.i pull out the the ultralite 4lb.  test balsa slip float and fat head minnows....start hammering bull gills,12 / 15 " bass ,yellow perch. Bill, wench go to slip floats minnows...catch some but im doing 4 or so to every one they got.the minnows were small 1.5 " or so.did the more limp 4lb test allow the bait less restriction or was it a  actual line visibility issue.stren ( not the yellow crap) clear mono,4lb and 8 lb....one trip,not a empirical litmus test at all.weather: lite chop and very overcast.

• Like 1

The yellow crap is what I use for crappie in 8 or 10# test & I usually catch more than my partner. On the other hand, Frank G. or Minnerman always catches more than I with clear line.  All 3 fishes spider rigging, so go figure?   dada 10-11-18  4:42 PM

• Like 1

Not down playing the yellow line for lite biters and line watching it has its place.just wondering if the heavier line restricted the action of a small bait compared to a much more limber line ,or, was it a line visibility issue? ..a rhetorical question , maybe.

I don't think fish are smart enough to see line with association of danger, so believe the action allowed by limp & smaller line contribute to more catches with action. All the details are important to improve catch like exact depth or placement, lure or bait, color, action, size, location, DETAILS!

• Like 3

Good points.Although we did not have any rods with us that were spooled with flourocarbon,that would have made for a better comparison.we were using standard clear/ blue stren. I prefer it on spinning reels because we have less issues with line twist.braid  is another subject....

I have pretty much gone to braid with a leader.  Depending on the fish, sometimes it is just a mono leader, other times a floro coated leader, sometimes a pure floro. 

We fish for trout in the Holston a lot.  Crystal clear water, lots of fishing pressure.  Everyone on the boat uses the same type of jerk bait.  Some different color patterns.  Braid and about a 4' floro coated leader.  I have a couple of friends that can catch four to my one.  I can put on the same color or even take that rod and lure to use.  Its all in the presentation.  

• Like 3

Fluorocarbon line has stretch, sometimes as much as mono. Cheap flouro stretches quite a bit.  Advantage for flouro is less visible and sinks a bit faster.  There are several line tests and comparison around the net. Read it at tackle tour.com.  

The twist, memory, knot strength are issues of flouro that I don't think are worth the money.  A good mono or copolymer works for me.

The no stretch is marketing. When you compare apples to apples and do a little research, you also may find that copolymer is a very good choice and won't be as expensive as some other lines.

Braid with leaders is great way to increase sensitivity. It's the braid not the leader. Leader is for less visibility.

Yellow line is not crap. A lot of guys use it and it works for them.

TNKen is correct, in my opinion, the presentation is key.

]Again, i apologize calling yellow stren crap. It has its purpose.just back in the day when it first came to market i would find piles of it on the bank,numerous places, left a bad taste in my mouth .corporate sponsorship has gotten out of hand with the pros " " uses it ,it must be good!!! Fact is its a pretty much level playing field rod reel lure line mnfctrs ,its dog eat dog and we,re the ones wearing pork chop underwear,BIG buisness....Fished the calfkiller today,4lb. outfished the 8lb .had 4 rods,2 with 8lb, 2 with 4lb.smallmouth and rockbass.fished the headwaters all the way to sparta....no musky...

Edited by kwk

I can go months and months without buying any fishing stuff. Plastic worms and mono line have worked for a long time. Big business won’t catch me in pork chop underwear!

• Like 2

I wonder what goes through a fish's mind when it sees fishing line.  "Oh no, there is a person out there trying to catch me!"  I know visibility is a factor because I have seen bluegill and bass swimming up to leader knots to investigate.  TNKen hit the nail on the head though, that presentation is the ultimate factor. 

The presentation is key. If I am flipping 1/2 oz jig with a baby brushoff for a trailer and the cover is thick----I'll be using 20lb mono. If the bass likes the looks of said jig I'm gonna be happy. The big line is needed for this presentation as much lighter and it won't last long.

If I tried throwing a 3/16th crappie jighead with a curly tail with the same 20lb line, I'll be not so happy.

The smaller jig can be presented in a manner the crappie want it with much lighter line and vice versa.

Presentation is the key element. And boat position and noise if shallow fishing and etc etc etc.

Only 2 things on a fish's mind and thats sex and food. The sex  part is over after spawn, but a fish is gonna look for food everyday.

Ultra clear water vs stained water vs muddy water and windy day vs calm days vs hot days vs cooler days == man vs fish. All factors to some degree but if you don't present the bait in a manner that looks ribeye and baked spuds you may be going home with live wells better suited for dry storage LOL

Life's good, UT won a football game, the temps are good and I'll be looking for food all day!    Spawning is out of the question LOL

Edited by Tubejig
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Obviously matching line size&type to conditions and even species is critical.especially under tough conditions, cold fronts,fishing pressure etc.even lakes with high numbers of catch and release.studies have shown bass caught and released on hard body baits will show signs of aversion  to those baits later.not so much plastics,interesting.tubejig you forgot predator avoidance ive seen fish vanish when a osprey or cormorant shadow flies over.

Edited by kwk

There’s a guy out in Colorado, I think his name is Paul Roberts, that studies this extensively. The bass can see any line, he says they perceive it all as one unit. The one unit moves differently depending upon DIAMETER of line, not necessarily breaking strength. He also explains it a lot better than me on several YouTube videos. But anyhow the bass has two reactions: go toward the lure or go away from it. Sometimes a splash runs them off, sometimes incorrect diameter does. It can also be the trolling motor or a bird or a shadow, too many variables to say for sure. but match the correct diameter of line to the weight of your lure and you’re already in the ballpark. From there it’s day to day fine tuning . I also heard a scuba diver say braid makes a weird loud sound underwater , similar to the sound it makes going through rod guides 

Edited by rusty50576
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

I also heard a scuba diver say braid makes a weird loud sound underwater , similar to the sound it makes going through rod guides 

I had my phone in a waterproof case and tied it to some braided line on one of my rods.  I recorded some video underwater and the sound of the braided line moving through the guides was very loud.  I imagine it would carry a little way in the water.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 11:00 AM, NukeFisher said:

I had my phone in a waterproof case and tied it to some braided line on one of my rods.  I recorded some video underwater and the sound of the braided line moving through the guides was very loud.  I imagine it would carry a little way in the water.

I would have never thought of using a smart phone for something so useful! I've gotten good at using it at work instead of using a mirror and flashlight to read small numbers and see things down in a dark engine compartment, but using it to record fishing line noise is great!

And my kids just think they are for playing games.....

So, has anyone tried recording other line types?

On 10/13/2018 at 6:12 PM, kwk said:

]Again, i apologize calling yellow stren crap. It has its purpose.just back in the day when it first came to market i would find piles of it on the bank,numerous places, left a bad taste in my mouth .corporate sponsorship has gotten out of hand with the pros " " uses it ,it must be good!!! Fact is its a pretty much level playing field rod reel lure line mnfctrs ,its dog eat dog and we,re the ones wearing pork chop underwear,BIG buisness....Fished the calfkiller today,4lb. outfished the 8lb .had 4 rods,2 with 8lb, 2 with 4lb.smallmouth and rockbass.fished the headwaters all the way to sparta....no musky...

Ah, you wouldn’t want a musky on either of those lines. :reality:

Personal experience with yellow line: never tried it until eyesight declined with old age. Much easier to see to tie knots. And enabled continued handling & use of light weight lines that were getting ever more difficult to see. By the way, caught tons of fish (bass, crappie mostly) on yellow but I wasn’t in crystal clear water. Fort Loudon, Tellico, Watts Bar. 

• Like 2

There is evidence from stren that the line basically stops glowing at "x " foot of water , varying with clarity.thanks for the reminder about eye site...feeling like a real douche now.

I aim to always use high visibility line.  I am a line watcher for sure.  A lot of the bass I catch take weightless plastics on the way down and being able to see the line well enough to notice the quick twitch is important.  Yellow, green, pink, red, polka dot, striped...it doesn't matter as long as I can see it.

Why one person catches fish and another doesn't can always be a mystery.  I am amazed how well the fish can smell.  When I kept getting bass to investigate and not take a lure it drove me a bit crazy.  Swapped out to some garlic scented lures and the fish loved them.  Sunscreen and bug spray can also taint the scent of a lure.  Just another thing to put out there.

If i half to gas up the boat in the am i have a bar of ivory soap ill use on the water....seems pointless as i smoke cigars all day on the water.:rasta: ( and the wife says im the most vile smelling human ever,chicken,venison,mexican...life in general).

Edited by kwk