inthebox30lbs

South East Trout Troller's Association

4 minutes ago, TrophyLakerTaker said:

Did the Santeelah June 29th event happen?

Yes....it was only 5 boats. Rex and I came in second. Fish were hard to catch that day.  One of our fishes was 17" . That was good enough to propel us to second place. The fish ran small. If there had been a Bass award we would of won it. We caught several of them on hoochies.....

SANTEETLAH LAKE Tourney 29 June 2019 2nd place finish 006.JPG

SANTEETLAH LAKE Tourney 29 June 2019 2nd place finish 010.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrophyLakerTaker said:

thks.  Glad you got into the $.

I wish I'd of gotten into the money when there were more boats. I'm looking forward to the last two tourneys that will be on bigger lakes, South Holston and then Watauga.

I’m going to propose a change to the August get together.  Feel free to chime in.  South Holston was the plan for August.  Would a change to calderwood be an option you would consider.  The fishing conditions are going to be prime as Fontana will be releasing non stop for its winter drawdown.  It’s going to fish very similar as Cheoah did and that tournament was a blast as everyone got into a bunch of fish.  South Holston will fish well but fish are deep and survival rate of any fish will not be good.  Camping and lodging options are good at calderwood for those traveling.  Feel free to chime in and we can make a decision and set a date.  Our last two tournaments we have had 4 and 5 boats.  

Going to give Lake Michigan one more whirl next weekend and bring the boat back to the Carolinas.  The following week I have a high school cross country meet that I administer so I could not make that date.  Hope you have a good turnout and lots of fish.

Will look if you have something in the fall, otherwise we will see you once the water flips in December.

I'm  on the West Coat Sat 24th of August. 

I sampled the fishing in SoHo weekend before last.  decent but not great.  Limit of small to medium  lakers (6 fish) really deep, bass galore if you like bass.  2 decent rainbows.  Moving to Calderwood is a good move i'd say.

Any interest in a tournament for the beginning of October?  The finger lakes of the south most likely would  be our best bet considering the lack of rain, generation, and how warm the other lakes are.   Cheoah/calderwood/Chillhowee 

My vote would be chillhowee, it’s fishing well right now.  

I would love to make it, if we can do the 5th I could make it. would like to do it one one of the lakes that has boat in camping, Anyways let me know, 

1 hour ago, Fisher87 said:

How about santeetlah? It normally fishes well first of fall?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Given how it's going, I doubt the lake has cooled any, probably the opposite. 

12 hours ago, Tidewater21 said:

Count me in. I know there’s some trout in there bigger than one pound. 

Most of the Rainbows in there are over a pound. They're eating massive numbers of little Shad Minnows. I've been twice in the past month. On both trips I lost a 3-4 pound Rainbow that spit out the spoon on jumps. The average of the ones I landed was about 1.25 - 1.5 pounds. I caught Bass and Perch too. The bite starts when Calderwood starts generating. That's usually between 9 - 11 a.m.  The Bass and Trout like to push the bait upstream into the current.

Given how it's going, I doubt the lake has cooled any, probably the opposite. 
Keep in mind it's feed by rivers, that said it doesn't matter to me. Just like that lake a whole lot and know it better then others. That's me though and not everyone else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, Fisher87 said:

Keep in mind it's feed by rivers, that said it doesn't matter to me. Just like that lake a whole lot and know it better then others. That's me though and not everyone else.

I've been getting to know Santeetlah better the past several years. It's full of humps. It scares me to run a ball much deeper than 40 feet. I bet the best Trout bite is at 50 feet about now....??? Last time I was at Santeetlah a couple of months back, you needed to be down at 40 feet to get many Trout strikes. I caught more Bass than Trout on my last two trips there. Santeetlah has no "refrigerated" tailwaters upstream. It's most certainly remains very warm.

Chilhowee is easy to fish. There's no humps of any consequence. You don't have to fish deep, 5-20 feet is the strike zone. Somebody who doesn't use or have downriggers could win. The Trout probably average as large as Santeetlah now....??? They'll average bigger when it comes all the way back from the draw-down. Spoons aren't necessarily the best lures. Hoochies and little plugs fish very well. Rainbows jump more in Chilhowee than Trout lakes that have hot tops and the fish are very deep in the hot months. Due to the abundance of baitfish, I think that Rainbows from Chilhowee average more weight per inch of length than most, if not all, of the region's Trout lakes. 

Edited by Troutgirl
  • Like 1

I’d like to fish another one this year, have a wedding to go to and vacation time already scheduled for beginning of October but my plans for vacation might change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest fishing till 4 p.m. that day. If it stays this dry, the fishing won't pick up till they start generating, which might not be till 11 a.m. or later. Chilhowee usually fishes best in the afternoon this time of year. The Little Tennessee River continues to shrivel up during this dry spell. There's not gonna be much morning generating till some significant rain comes along.