inthebox30lbs

South East Trout Troller's Association

4 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

Thanks for the post. Did you catch any bass? 

Nope, didn't see a one.  Granted, we trolled the whole time.  There were some fish up in the flooded brush, they appeared to be perch.

I'll add some more details, top water temp stayed with a a degree or two of 52°.  All of our fish came from within site of the dam.  It was kinda crazy, not even a strike any where else on the lake.

I agree on the size of the lure, just tried our standard size stinger starting out.  I even ran some smaller dodgers and flashers, nothing there.  Odd, on Calderwood and Cheoah the stingers get lots of strikes, not a one here.  The Carlson spoon got both of the big ones, it was white.  Water clarity was much higher than the two lakes above it that I fish, probably why the smaller gear is more appropriate.  I hope to go again and try a couple other things before the tournament.  

She's

PS-  If you are coming from NC be prepared for a twisty road.  The 11 miles from Deals Gap to the lake is a road laid over a drunks winding goat path.  I forgot what it was like.  My son and friend got car sick on the way back.  Just give yourself time to do it in a relaxed manner.  It took me 29 minutes to do it on the way back, I should have been slower.  That road is probably why I fish Calderwood and those of you from Tennessee fish Chilowhee.

IMG952019032795204154560.jpg

• Like 5

Shea, I don't mind the 11 miles of hell. I don't know how many times I've driven it but it's in the multi-hundreds range. I've had a North Carolina license at least 6 years of my life so far. To get to Fontana, Santeetlah, Natahala, Calderwood, and Slickrock Creek, it was worth it! The Dragon is my gateway when I'm not fishing Chilhowee and Watauga. There's been a new interstate highway proposed through that corridor. If it's ever built, which I doubt, it would be Interstate 4. It's route would be from Savannah to Interstate 75 south of Knoxville. With the two National Forests, Joyce Kilmer Forest,  Tellico Wildlife Management Area, and Smoky Park, imagine trying to obtain right-of-ways through this area. It would be dauntingly difficult. I hope it never happens. I wouldn't mind if some, well many, bridges were built to straighten out the Dragon, some. I'm sure the Smoky Park would be difficult about even that.

One thing that's improved about running the Dragon, there's no tractor-trailers anymore. I witnessed one of the events that likely contributed to the axle restrictions. About 5 years ago when I was headed home from a Calderwood trip, on that long, windy hill up towards Cheoah Dam, there was a tractor-trailer that was near as long as is legal that was stuck because the middle of the trailer was bottomed out, down on the pavement. The police and rescue team was already there. They had at least two jacks under the trailer trying to lift it and edge forward. We had to sit there for about 10 minutes whilst they made one of their attempts. They were letting traffic by between attempts, apparently. There's a bunch of rolls going up that hill, just enough to trap that long rig. Since the axle restrictions, the only trucks I've seen up there have been Brookfield work trucks and UPS delivery trucks.

Those are decent Rainbows for early season! You should put out some small plugs and wiggle hoochies next time out. That's what I'll be doing. I'm gonna give Chilhowee a go soon. I'm pleased to hear the water temp is back to normal/average. The last time Rex and I went to Chilhowee last fall, the water coming out of Calderwood's Powerhouse was 65. That was literally unprecedented, I'd never seen that discharge over 55 degrees. Fontana generated and sluiced off all it's historically frigid water above the dam's Penstock, intake for the generators, apparently. The Rainbows wouldn't hit. They must of been lethargic from the heat. We caught a couple  of decent Smallmouths and about a dozen Perch. The surface of the whole lake was 65. On average, all the water in Chilhowee turns over every two days....maybe in less than a day during that high flow period...??? I think that the whole lake, top to bottom was 65 degrees. That is not gonna happen again anytime soon, I hope!

Edited by Troutgirl

It is with a tinge of sorrow that I have to bow out of the tournament on Chilhowhee and the donation to Troutgirl's fishing fund.  Found out that Saturday is my sons state choral concert in Greensboro.  He was devastated that he was his own reason for not fishing that weekend.  We, as usual, were confident in our chances.  Hopefully we can still fish it before the tournament.  If so, we'll share all the details to help the out-of-towners.  We'll try a spread of all smaller stuff and a variety of plugs to fill in our own blanks.  

Shea

It is with a tinge of sorrow that I have to bow out of the tournament on Chilhowhee and the donation to Troutgirl's fishing fund.  Found out that Saturday is my sons state choral concert in Greensboro.  He was devastated that he was his own reason for not fishing that weekend.  We, as usual, were confident in our chances.  Hopefully we can still fish it before the tournament.  If so, we'll share all the details to help the out-of-towners.  We'll try a spread of all smaller stuff and a variety of plugs to fill in our own blanks.  

Shea
I hate to hear that. I'm still in debate myself wether or not I can make it. If I do, I will for sure be bringing my center console instead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, morewood said:

Shea

Sorry you guys are going to have to miss it.  

6 hours ago, Fisher87 said:

I hate to hear that. I'm still in debate myself wether or not I can make it. If I do, I will for sure be bringing my center console instead.

Please go.  The only way these things continue is if we buy in and do it.  If it isn't too windy your pontoon would be fine.  I think that I'll be able to get out there before the tournament, I'll share it all since I won't be competing.  Troutgirl isn't fibbing, smaller will be better.  

Shea

Please go.  The only way these things continue is if we buy in and do it.  If it isn't too windy your pontoon would be fine.  I think that I'll be able to get out there before the tournament, I'll share it all since I won't be competing.  Troutgirl isn't fibbing, smaller will be better.  

Shea
The issue for me is being able to have the time. I work a full time job and spend weekends on the farm trying to get my beef business off the ground.

By the way, I sell all natural farm raised Black Angus beef. Can bring and deliver to anyone interested at the tournaments.

Will try my best. Hopefully my dad can come. If not it may be trouble to find someone to keep me up for the 4hr ride there and back.

Please let us know how you do. I am jealous that you live closer to those Mt lakes there. Santeetlah is one of my favorite places to do boat in camping for long weekends with friends. Such a good time at a low cost.

@TroutgirlI have also seen a 18 wheeler stuck in a switchback on the dragon. One thing you can count on if they build a new road between Tennessee and North Carolina: it will collapse multiple times and rockslides will land on it 

9 minutes ago, rusty50576 said:

@TroutgirlI have also seen a 18 wheeler stuck in a switchback on the dragon. One thing you can count on if they build a new road between Tennessee and North Carolina: it will collapse multiple times and rockslides will land on it 

I suspect the difficulty and expense would be along the lines of the new section of the Foothills Parkway.  The Dragon, as is , has had it's share of slides. About 15 years ago there was a sizable slide that left a section one-lane for about 6 months. They had traffic lights at each end till it was repaired.

This applies, so I'll add it here.  Took my son after church up on the parkway to Price Lake.  First time he's been able to use his fishing kayak......with pedal powered propeller.  Caught 3 small stockers trolling a spinner.  Came over to where I was relaxing by the bank and asked where he should be fishing.  Pointed to the deep end and convinced him to use one of the Thomas spoons.  Bam!!  Came back to the ramp with a 21" Brown caught trolling the spoon.  He's hooked.

• Like 2

This applies, so I'll add it here.  Took my son after church up on the parkway to Price Lake.  First time he's been able to use his fishing kayak......with pedal powered propeller.  Caught 3 small stockers trolling a spinner.  Came over to where I was relaxing by the bank and asked where he should be fishing.  Pointed to the deep end and convinced him to use one of the Thomas spoons.  Bam!!  Came back to the ramp with a 21" Brown caught trolling the spoon.  He's hooked.
So awesome. Glad your son is addicted. We need pictures though.

Warming temps have help turn the trout on at Jocassee this week.  Number of browns over 8 caught in the last several days.  We were 14-14 in the tournament, (10 browns and 4 rainbows) there yesterday with a lot nice fish brought to the scales.  

Would expect to see similar conditions at Chillhowee at the tournament on 4/27. 

On 4/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, mincmi said:

Warming temps have help turn the trout on at Jocassee this week.  Number of browns over 8 caught in the last several days.  We were 14-14 in the tournament, (10 browns and 4 rainbows) there yesterday with a lot nice fish brought to the scales.  

Would expect to see similar conditions at Chillhowee at the tournament on 4/27. 

I hope everyone catches Browns in Chilhowee. Lakers and Rainbows are all I’ve seen In a while. Not able to fish it  like back in the day the past few years.

Scott, I think that you should start a new thread for the Chilhowee trout derby, that people other than those reading this thread could click on. Chilhowee has the potential to be the most attended of these events. Ask the mod if he has any ways to help you get the most folks on this site to see it.

My brother and I hit Chilhowee this past Tuesday. It was miserably slow. It was a nice day for a boat ride but the blue-bird sky made for hard fishing. We saw  only a few small bait pods near the ramp. There was never any surface action other than seeing two trout jump. We marked very few fish. We caught one small 'Bow and a small Perch. I think that all the flooding and high water has delayed spawning for all sorts of fish, including the bait fish. The blue-bird sky meant that Chilhowee was extra illuminated. I don't think that it's a coincidence that the only line that caught a small trout, on a plug,  had the lightest line, 6 pound test. The Perch hit a small spoon. I've seldom, or maybe never seen, so little on sonar. The surface water ran 54-59 degrees.

3 hours ago, Troutgirl said:

Scott, I think that you should start a new thread for the Chilhowee trout derby, that people other than those reading this thread could click on. Chilhowee has the potential to be the most attended of these events. Ask the mod if he has any ways to help you get the most folks on this site to see it.

My brother and I hit Chilhowee this past Tuesday. It was miserably slow. It was a nice day for a boat ride but the blue-bird sky made for hard fishing. We saw  only a few small bait pods near the ramp. There was never any surface action other than seeing two trout jump. We marked very few fish. We caught one small 'Bow and a small Perch. I think that all the flooding and high water has delayed spawning for all sorts of fish, including the bait fish. The blue-bird sky meant that Chilhowee was extra illuminated. I don't think that it's a coincidence that the only line that caught a small trout, on a plug,  had the lightest line, 6 pound test. The Perch hit a small spoon. I've seldom, or maybe never seen, so little on sonar. The surface water ran 54-59 degrees.

I’ll do that!  Looking forward to the tournament.

Weather looks perfect for Saturday, 78 and sunny. Come  out and fish should be a good one.  
Unfortunately I will not be able to make it. To much farm work to do. I will promise to make the next one and the rest. Hopefully there is a good turn out. Really looking forward to this series.

Thanks so much Scott for putting this together. I believe it is an answer to some wishes of mine and other folks.

I'll be texting y'all for info as the day goes on. Enjoy yourselves and the company.