inthebox30lbs

South East Trout Troller's Association

Oh and as far as the time.  if your signed up at 6:00 put your boat in the water and go.  Fishing starts at 7am.  The flyer does not say blast of, it just states the time.   I guess could have been more specific. 

At the conclusion of the tournament at Lake Jocassee last Saturday, there were a number of boat indicating that they plan to be at the Watauga tournament next week and have strong interest in fishing the full proposed series.

Would be great if this first tournament goes well and the series takes hold. 

Hoping for some fast lake trout action.  It's been too long.

https://youtu.be/FfKulnCfXeM

• Like 1

I went yesterday 9 to 2 pm.

WATAGUA lake conditions march 16; stained, 46 F surface temp.  Still looks like winter conditions.  Cold and chilly and windy.  Fish were spotty.

Good news is TVA pulled the water down and rat branch ramp and parking lot were in great shape and very little trash floating on the lake.

Conditions for next sat will be good as long as we don't get hit with excessive rain on the next 6 days.  A little bit clearer water would help and warm up a bit for sat.

Edited by TrophyLakerTaker

I went yesterday 9 to 2 pm.

WATAGUA lake conditions march 16; stained, 46 F surface temp.  Still looks like winter conditions.  Cold and chilly and windy.  Fish were spotty.

Good news is TVA pulled the water down and rat branch ramp and parking lot were in great shape and very little trash floating on the lake.

Conditions for next sat will be good as long as we don't get hit with excessive rain on the next 6 days.  A little bit clearer water would help and warm up a bit for sat.

I was there as well. Fished from 7 to 1pm. Caught 2. Wind was brutal.

Was that you I seen in the black boat right below the bridge? I was in the Pontoon with hard top.

Looking forward to next weekend and clearer water. I seen 42 water temp at 7 down by the dam. Close to 45 when I left.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Now that I can get my boat out, I've run into a new problem. I got bronchitis over the weekend. I'm going to the doctor in a short while. I hope that some antibiotics might get me well enough to fish by the weekend. My brother is really psyched to come. He's a former athlete and just craves competition. I'd like to meet the folks I talk to on the fishing forums as much as doing the actual fishing.  I hope to make a quick recovery.  I've spent the past week polishing and tweaking my equipment. I really wanna attend!

• Like 2

I'm finally on this site now.  Somehow I was on before, but disappeared.  Didn't go last week, but I did the weeks prior.  I'm hoping Rat Branch is looking better.  I've put in at Fish Springs because it was still high at the ramp.....the fishing pier was barely out of water.  Not sure when I'll get there in the morning, but the drive isn't the hard part, it's the getting started with a 13yr old that can take a bit.  He has his moments, but can do everything on the boat if need be.  Weather forecast for now looks good, almost too good.  Hope to see everyone there.

Shea

PS-We just completely re-did our riggers and rod holder set up, we'll be the proverbial monkey and a football.

• Like 1

I plan to be at the tournament this weekend. I met TrophyLakerTaker at the Rat Branch Ramp a few weeks back. I am from SC, and tired of chasing limited opportunities in Jocassee. I hope to learn a few tips and tricks from you all, as I love trolling for trout and walleye. I have a pontoon set up that has been rebuilt, and has a diving platform on top, that I use to hold flat lines. I am looking forward to meeting some folks with like minded passion. I wont be able to fish many of the scheduled tournaments, as May is planned out for me already. I look forward to seeing y'all there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, morewood said:

I'm finally on this site now.  Somehow I was on before, but disappeared.  Didn't go last week, but I did the weeks prior.  I'm hoping Rat Branch is looking better.  I've put in at Fish Springs because it was still high at the ramp.....the fishing pier was barely out of water.  Not sure when I'll get there in the morning, but the drive isn't the hard part, it's the getting started with a 13yr old that can take a bit.  He has his moments, but can do everything on the boat if need be.  Weather forecast for now looks good, almost too good.  Hope to see everyone there.

Shea

PS-We just completely re-did our riggers and rod holder set up, we'll be the proverbial monkey and a football.

Watauga will be about 4-5 feet below it's summer elevation of 1959 feet, above sea level by the time you get there. They've been generating hard and sluicing for weeks. I think TVA will soon slow down the water to help with the Mississippi River flooding that's building up.....??? You must have been there when the lake's elevation was 1962-3. It's getting back to normal, it seems.

What does a monkey do with a football.....? Rip it in half to see what toy surprise is inside....?  :wink:

• Haha 1

See you'all sat morning.  Bring your wind proof bibs, jackets, hat, gloves in the morning and be ready to shed layers as the day progresses.

Chilly start, but it will be nice once the sun gets up high.

We did fish from 3-6. First time on Watauga so we wanted to try and gather some info. 

Wind was blowing so hard we had to run up lake and troll into it to stay under 3.0. 

Was 1-2 so not much happening for us.

should be fairly calm in morning. Looking forward to meeting members in the morning 

5D105C67-3592-4A18-BEF5-AF68E5BACCDF.jpeg

Thanks for hosting the tournament, Scott, well done!  We enjoyed meeting you and others.  Look forward to your next event in April.

Evans & Brent

Glad you guys had a good trip and got into the money.  You definitely put some miles in getting here.  

We we had a tough go at it.  I arrived Thursday’s morning and had every intention of fishing Thursday and Friday.  The weather did not allow that to happen.  Wind was brutal not sure I’ve experienced wind like that on watauga.  We had 5 hits Saturday and landed two Lakers.  A 4.14 was the biggest fish.  We ran everything at em but the kitchen sink.  One fish came on a 10 color core and the rest of our hits came on the riggers .  The normal milk runs were dry as we focused all of our effort towards the lower end.  its interesting are hits came from 60-86 down much deeper than most fished.  We were one of the only boats on the lower end.  Good times can’t wait for April’s Chilhowee it’s looking like the last Saturday in April.  Enjoyed meeting a great group of folks! 

I had a good time despite finishing last. My brother thinks we should of won something for catching the smallest (14") and fewest fish, (one) !  :wink:  We didn't change lures or tactics for much of the morning because we were so cold we were content to sit on our hands to keep them warm, well almost warm. We were so tempted to reel-in and stop at Fish Springs to warm up....but sat on our hands instead.

I had a good time meeting folks. I wanna send out a special thank you to Scott, the TropyLakerTaker, for the chunk of smoked Laker that was my dinner when I got back to Knoxville. I ate half of it and some veggies I whipped up. My brother, Rex, went right to sleep without dinner. He'll try some soon, maybe tonight....???

I'm looking forward to Chilhowee where I'll have home court advantage, I hope! I've probably had more trips to Chilhowee than the rest of the field combined, probably.....???  I think I first fished it back in 1968.....

Thanks to In-The-Box Scott for organizing the event!  Merci Beaucoup, Rachael!

Edited by Troutgirl

That's Scott (30 lbs in the box) for organizing the first event on Watagua.  

One though i had to spice up the weigh-in would be the weigh 3 trout combined but you could add a 4th and 5th trout to your combined weight if the were different species. 

For example.  If you weighed in 3 lakers, and had a rainbow, then the rainbow could be the 4th.  or Three lakers a brown trout could be the fourth.  Or 3 lakers, a rainbow and brown trout then you could total five.  Just some xrta bonus points for multiple trout species.

At Chilhowee, it's very likely that all the Trout will be Rainbows. It's remotely possible that a stray Brown could show up. It's highly unlikely that any Lakers will show up. Nobody knows for sure if TWRA stocked more after the draw-down. Even if they did, those fish would be, at best, 14" or less by now. I believe that Chilhowee's Lakers from before the draw-down either perished or are somewhere in Tellico Lake....???

1st SE trout trollers tourney is in the books (Watauga Lake). 3/23

8 boats turned out, conditions were clear and quite cold.  Only lake trout were weighed in no one had a brown or a rainbow.  Overall fishing conditions were tougher than normal.  Unfortunately we  forgot to snap photos but will fix that next go at it

3 fish total weight combined.

Top three took home some cash 

1st place 14.05lbs (three Lakers)

2nd place 12.62 (three Lakers)

3rd place 9.00 (three Lakers )

4th place 6.87 (two Lakers)

5th place 5.41( two Lakers)

6th place 3.29 (two Lakers)

i did not list anglers names as some left before asking there permission too post on a public forum.  

Opinions for start and finish time at Chilhowee tournament April 27, 7 am-3pm????  8-4 ???
I like the later hours due to distance for me on the next couple. However earlier finish gets me home faster. Not sure I'll make next one due to farming.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk