inthebox30lbs

South East Trout Troller's Association

Scott,

What is the status for your 3/23 tournament at Watauga? 

While we have never fished in any of the lakes in Western NC/Eastern TN my son and I are considering bring our boat over from Lake Jocassee.  

Would you or others be able to provide some info about the lake, the ramp, the fish, tournament procedures, etc.?  Does it fish similar to Jocassee if anyone has fished both?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

It looks like the 23rd is going to be a go.  i dont know an exact number of people yet.   Several have requested moving towards a big fish tournament to not kill as many fish.  Which is a good idea. Lake trout,  Rainbow trout,  and brown trout divisions, and overall tournament Biggest Fish.  Three places in each division.  I would be more than willing to chat with you about any questions you may have.  I plan On arriving friday morning before the tournament and Staying at Lakeshore resort for the weekend.  

Scott 

Scott,

What is the status for your 3/23 tournament at Watauga? 

While we have never fished in any of the lakes in Western NC/Eastern TN my son and I are considering bring our boat over from Lake Jocassee.  

Would you or others be able to provide some info about the lake, the ramp, the fish, tournament procedures, etc.?  Does it fish similar to Jocassee if anyone has fished both?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

We plan to fish the Saturday before tournament.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I can't possibly declare until close to the date. My trailer, but not my boat, was under water Sunday. I don't know when it's gonna be dry enough to get my boat out..

I can't possibly declare until close to the date. My trailer, but not my boat, was under water Sunday. I don't know when it's gonna be dry enough to get my boat out..
Find you some good rednecks, tell them you need to get your boat unstuck so you can go fishing. I'm sure they will find a way. Haha. Good luck to you. Hope you do get it out and make it.

4 minutes ago, Fisher87 said:

Find you some good rednecks, tell them you need to get your boat unstuck so you can go fishing. I'm sure they will find a way. Haha. Good luck to you. Hope you do get it out and make it.

I can't get my boat out till it's dry enough to get my boat out without damaging my sister's yard. That's uncertain given the off-the-chart soil moisture and frequent heavy rain events. This rainy pattern has been persistent for 9 months. It's getting old!

How far in the yard is it from the road. Could you lay boards in place of the tires? I would be desperate to get my boat out. Thankful I leave my two boats at my dad's on asphalt. They just have to be in the open if there.

12 minutes ago, Fisher87 said:

How far in the yard is it from the road. Could you lay boards in place of the tires? I would be desperate to get my boat out. Thankful I leave my two boats at my dad's on asphalt. They just have to be in the open if there.

It's about 100 yards. The boat is stuck for now.

There's all sorts of attempts to remove non-native fish going on across the west. It's illegal to turn loose any Lake Trout that you catch in Yellowstone Lake because they eat the native Cutthroats. You can keep a huge number of Brook Trout in Colorado's White River system because they're a threat to native Cutthroats. There's lakes in Alaska where you can keep all the Northern Pike you can catch because it was a mistake to introduce them there. They eat way too many Salmon and Trout. Walleye were introduced to the the Columbia River system and they're doing well and getting huge but at the expense of Salmon and Trout.

It's about 100 yards. The boat is stuck for now.

There's all sorts of attempts to remove non-native fish going on across the west. It's illegal to turn loose any Lake Trout that you catch in Yellowstone Lake because they eat the native Cutthroats. You can keep a huge number of Brook Trout in Colorado's White River system because they're a threat to native Cutthroats. There's lakes in Alaska where you can keep all the Northern Pike you can catch because it was a mistake to introduce them there. They eat way too many Salmon and Trout. Walleye were introduced to the the Columbia River system and they're doing well and getting huge but at the expense of Salmon and Trout.
I love walleye wish they were that way here.

Put my new axle on the shorelander trailer, new hubs, bearings, etc.

Depending on the Actual Dates and locations, I can make some of this events.  I'd avoid anything around July fourth and Memorial day weekend, etc due to  traffic.  

I'm not  against anyone using live bait, cut bait, vs scents, artificial lures as long as they fishing the same resivoir same as everyone else.  Not a huge advantage. Some people might want to use live bait on down lines or off boards. If they outfish trollers, it would be nice to see it comparing apples to apples.

Are entries per person or per boat.  

Note the Change.  Live bait will be allowed.    Quite a few  have made the point that live bait, cut bait etc.  should be allowed.  More so than not.  It just makes sense.  

Scott,

Do you have a feel of how many boats yet?  

Not sure what the ramp(s) is like there, but do you have enough time/space to get everyone in the water in the dark (sunrise 7:28) for a 7am blast off with a 6am signup?   Does this ramp see a lot of use from non-trout fisherman on a Saturday?

Thanks

Honestly I have know idea of how many boats,  a lot have expressed interest.  I wouldn't want to put a number on it.    The high water could be the concern.  If its an issue we could adjust the sign up time if needed.  This tournament is advertised here, NC angler, Watauga Lake fishing report facebook, and TN anglers Facebook.     Fish springs marina ramp is usable no mater the water level.  I guess we need to see what the lake level does in the coming weeks and adjust accordingly if needed.  It should be a non issue unless we continue to get pounded with rain.  

• Like 1

March 23rd i can participate.

Might want to check if any overlapping bass tournaments at Rat Branch... on march 23rd.  Should not be a big issue though.  I like the idea of heaviest  3 trout combined and biggest trout of each species categories.    

Starting at 7 A.M. and ending 2 pm doesn't account for the fact that it takes awhile for boats to travel to fishing spots, set lines, etc and then pull them out again and run back to the ramp if they want to go way up the lake and pontoons are not bass boats....  

I'd prefer you can pay, head out where you want to be at 7 a.m. and then lines in.    lines out at 2 pm, boat must at ramp by 3pm and then weigh in at 3 pm might give more flexiblity is my thoughts.  More time for folks to fish who traveled along way. 

Edited by TrophyLakerTaker

I still have no idea if I can come. My boat is still stuck in that swamp that my sister calls a yard. My trailer was submerged for 24 hours when Fort Loudoun Lake was at it's high point. Now I need to check the grease in my wheel bearings before I roll, when I can roll.

Funny thing about the tournament time, the solunar table says 4-6 p.m. is the best time to fish. The moon will be at 91% the night before. The best fishing is likely to be after weigh-in, whenever it is, 2 or 3 p.m.

3 hours ago, TrophyLakerTaker said:

March 23rd i can participate.

Might want to check if any overlapping bass tournaments at Rat Branch... on march 23rd.  Should not be a big issue though.  I like the idea of heaviest  3 trout combined and biggest trout of each species categories.    

Starting at 7 A.M. and ending 2 pm doesn't account for the fact that it takes awhile for boats to travel to fishing spots, set lines, etc and then pull them out again and run back to the ramp if they want to go way up the lake and pontoons are not bass boats....  

I'd prefer you can pay, head out where you want to be at 7 a.m. and then lines in.    lines out at 2 pm, boat must at ramp by 3pm and then weigh in at 3 pm might give more flexiblity is my thoughts.  More time for folks to fish who traveled along way. 

All good points, after the first tournament these things can be discussed before the dates are set for Aprils Tournament.