inthebox30lbs

South East Trout Troller's Association

Been kicking around the idea of getting a gang together who has a passion for trolling for trout on many of the great lakes in TN and Western NC

This would be an opportunity to meet new anglers, share techniques, fish new bodies of water and have a little fun, eat some good food Etc.  These would be open tournaments at designated lakes that anyone could fish.  This is nothing more than a proposal to get a group together who share a passion.  

-20 dollar Entry fee per person fishing(10 dollars would go to payout, $5 dollars to Big fish of tournament) The Classic Entry fee would Be $40**** however if you and everyone on your boat fishes 4 out of the 5 tournaments you only pay the $20 entry fee.  

-Artificial Lures Only 

Each tournament would payout 

1st 60%

2nd 30%

3rd 10%

Big fish 

Tournaments would be based on Total Weight of a one Man Limit, Per state and body of water Limits (Ex.  Watauga 7 total, 2 lake trout, Combination of 5 rainbows or Browns)  Only exception would be Nantahala which has Kokanee salmon You could weigh 7 salmon in addition to the one man trout Limit

A schedule would look this (Exact Dates if enough interest)

March- Watuaga Lake 7am-2pm

Rat Branch Ramp 

April- Chillhowee Reservoir 7am-2pm

rt. 129 ramp

May- Fontana Lake NC 7am-2pm

Fontana Village Ramp

June Dale Hollow Lake TN 7am-2pm

Horse Creek Marina 

July Nantahala Lake NC 7am-2pm

Big Choga Ramp

AUGUST**Classic** Watauga Lake 7am-3pm

Rat Branch

Spread the word, leave feedback, respond to this if you are interested.  This forum and NC anglers I'll Post this on.  

• Like 1

I just answered the Carolina Angler's thread....so, you know what I think. Keep to lakes near the border. That means Dale Hollow and Nantahala are right out.....South Holston and Apalachia seem to be better bets. Is Chilhowee really ready for this....???

Good feed back trout girl. The idea of watauga in march is most lakes that support just rainbows/browns typically have tough fishing until the water warms from the winter. As far as snow  It could also be 80 degrees.  At watuaga lake trout will be active. Chillhowee is going to bust loose once this years fish reach size to switch over to a more baitfish diet. Plus the according to twra the lake received a surplus of trout this year. I see your argument with folks having to Drive from NC to Dale hollow. The same would be true for Anglers in SE and middle TN, traveling to watuaga. It would be an over night deal, but you would have months to plan. Nantahala is a unique fishery that would challenge the best of anglers and honestly its a wonderful place to see and fish. Appalachia's lack of suitable launching facilities is the main concern. However the intention is to meet new folks and fish new waters. If 5 boats fished it would be equally enjoyable as if 20 boats fished. The small entry fee's are purely to add a tad of excitement and maybe get a little gas money back. 
Scott

Edited by inthebox30lbs

Apalachia has a new ramp under construction but the project is getting dragged out. First they said it would be done by 4 July and now they just say, well, eventually.

If Chilhowee got surplus fish, I hope there's some Lakers and Browns in the mix. I asked TWRA to include Browns. I don't know if they'll take my advice.

Nantahala is lovely but how thick are the Trout? I'd throw back any Kokanee that I caught since they're endangered in there. There's talk of stocking Browns.

Have their been many interested, I will start trout tournaments at lake jocassee in December. Normally the second Saturday. They will go through April. As long as these don't conflict with those dates I'll try my best to talk dad into joining.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes there has been interest.  
Great. Interested to see the dates. Hope cold weather helps fishing, and brings more reports. I enjoy reading them and getting the hopes up to go fishing.

4 hours ago, MuskyMan said:

I will be game too, I gotta get my engine pulled off my boat for a transom rebuild. I hope to have it done by March. HOPE.

I did one in a small Jon boat and it was one heck of a project! Haha

I hope I can come but....my boat is winterized and sitting in my sister's backyard. It has to be dry for me to get it out. I have to drive across the grass, no driveway. Since I put the boat there last November, the only time it's been dry enough to get it out was maybe two days last week....??? It's back to a swamp again,  presently. As long as this heavy rain persists, I'm grounded.

I hope this summer's and fall's rain is lighter than this past year's precipitation. Heavy rain and constant generating worked against me everyplace I fished last fall. On my last trip to Santeetlah, the thermometer said trout should be 70-100 feet deep. Due to the many humps, the deepest I dared to run the downrigger was 50 feet. We caught 3 nice Rainbows but caught more White Bass than anything else. On my last trip to Watauga, all our strikes were between 100-115 feet deep. All the generating and sluicing depleted the very cold, trout water, to well over 100 feet and down. Even Fontana Lake ran out of it's famously cold discharge. Fontana is 480 feet high and a little over 400 feet deep at full pool. The penstock, water in-take, for generating must be at least 200 feet down. Due to constant generating at full-tilt, even mighty Fontana ran out of it's coldest water. It's discharge must have been 60 degrees or more....? On my last trip to Chilhowee, the whole lake was 65 degrees. The water coming out of Calderwood's powerhouse was 65 degrees. This was in November! Historically, the water should of been in the 50-54 degree range. We got zero Trout strikes. We kept occupied catching Yellow Perch and a few Smallmouths. Rainbows get lethargic at 65 degrees and that's about 2 degrees from lethally warm for Lakers. Lethargic Trout don't feed much, it at all.

I think that climate change is gonna raise the average, yearly precipitation in our region. Increased generating will drive drive the Trout deeper in most of our Trout lakes, especially when so much of it was in the summer and fall like this past year. I hope this year's average precipitation in the Tennessee Valley is less than 60 inches.  According to TVA it was 67 inches for 2018. Lower will mean better and shallower Trout fishing. Average precipitation for Knoxville is about 49 inches......

Troutgirl, Maybe its time to fish for other fish in different lakes!  LOL    dada 2-17-19   8:50 AM

I used to do a wider variety of fishing. As I've gotten older, I've pared down what types of fishing I do to mostly trolling and bait fishing. My shoulder gets sore from constant casting.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:59 AM, rusty50576 said:

I like trolling for smallmouth but my water pump won’t pee at idle, does fine as soon as you give it gas. I need a kicker motor hahaha

That sounds like you need a new water impeller. You change then in most outboards every two years.

3 hours ago, Troutgirl said:

That sounds like you need a new water impeller. You change then in most outboards every two years.

It's a brand new one. The last one behaved the same way, I think something is stuck in either the intake or the long hose that I don't think I can put back together . I have reemed out the short hose with no change 

It's a brand new one. The last one behaved the same way, I think something is stuck in either the intake or the long hose that I don't think I can put back together . I have reemed out the short hose with no change 
One thing to check to to take and blow compressed air in the the pee hole. Some times trash can stop up there. I used to have mine get blocked by dirt dobbers.
Let me know of that helps. I'm a mechanic by trade so may be able to assist over the phone to help.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fisher87 said:

One thing to check to to take and blow compressed air in the the pee hole. Some times trash can stop up there. I used to have mine get blocked by dirt dobbers.
Let me know of that helps. I'm a mechanic by trade so may be able to assist over the phone to help.

From the Pee hole to the little metal box inside is the hose I have reeemed out. The hose coming from the powerhead going into the little metal box is much longer and looks tricky to route. This is the one I’m afraid to take loose and I fear it is where the problem lies. It has to be there or the intake as I have cleaned out the exit. Also the water pump pees flawlessly at idle speed in reverse, I’m thinking about just trolling backwards!!!

Edited by rusty50576