Fland49

Lifetime collection of bass tackle

Well parting can be sweet sorrow, and I have been parting with my 60+ years of fishing tackle. Many of those old lures are collectors' items. Some antiques. Some rare and many no longer made. The sad aspect is that I can no longer use them as intended, and none of my family has the need or appreciation for what these are. But the sweet part is that I found several different people who understood and appreciated. So most everything has been sold (cheap) or given away. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Didn’t sell these two handmade rods as both got broken during the heavy use days - slipping around old sunken logs & stumps in my inner tube, sneaking a jig & pork eel or lizard alongside every good looking piece of cover. 

Fishing from a tube forces you to fish slowly & thoroughly and you start to feel and wonder how a big bass would swim around there, where it would hide, how it might react to a surprise morsel dropped right in front. That morsel being a black jig & pork rind trailer that she just could not resist. 

843D66C1-83B0-4BB0-9CDB-D5DA17084CC1.jpeg

7B84089B-1B95-4348-AAE7-719A2E903B1B.jpeg

1E127D89-E8CE-486F-97A6-9F457FAB1F8C.jpeg

• Like 2

Wonderful 60 year collection of lures.  Looking at these lures, I can only imagine the hundreds of  happy days you have spent using them.  Somehow it makes me sad that you are parting with them.

Even though you can’t use those lures anymore, I bet you could tell youngsters like me who can’t catch a cold how in the world to catch a bass with them!

• Like 1

Rusty, you catch more fish, more days, in more lakes and in all kinds of weather & water conditions. You are an outstanding angler and learn by doing. 

We both have stories to tell, special times to recall, some knowledge to impart, yet much still to learn. 

Dloveday, do not be sad. There is a tinge of that, but fish, fishing and fishermen have been an important and wonderful part of my life. Every one of those old hard bodied lures gave me pleasure when I got it, when I sharpened or changed the hooks,  when I studied it’s action in clear water, of course when it caught fish, and pleasure sorting them out & sharing with a few folks.

My dentist got the picks of the litter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ProTek said:

Love those cranks!

Don't let that stuff go to waste my friend.

They have gone to worthy causes and are in good hands. 

• Like 1

A few of these old rods & reels are staying home for sentimental reasons. 

FE2FB0EB-584C-4CED-B69B-C605A6CFCE62.jpeg

CA18C7F9-F28C-4290-8437-8E965F915567.jpeg

A6EF1651-54E2-434E-B61E-68EDADCBC791.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 31Airborne said:

some real treasures in those pics.  lotsa bass fishing history.

Yes sir, much fun and many good memories made fishing. 

Did you ever consider making one of those antique lure wall hangings?  The shadow box kinda thing?  Hate it for you that you had to part w/ so much tradition and history.  Maybe the folks who bought them will do that.  I have a couple in my fishing room and love them.

• Like 1

I was going to say the same thing about making a shadow box or some sort of display. My ex-father in law made a lamp and the base was an old piece of driftwood with a few old lures "hung up" on them. Nothing fancy but definitely a 10 on the cool scale. All stuff he found on the riverbank.

As soon as I saw your collection I thought of my grandfather and great grandfather - both were salty old bass chasers and had some of the same stuff you do - and an old off-white/tan colored tackle box too. Spent many a hot summer day trying to find some bluegill for dinner with those guys. Good times - great memories. Trying to get my own grandkids hooked these days - let's hope they take the bait. :)

Those pictures you posted are pure gold!