dada

Douglas report

Took the "boss" fishing 5-12-18 & she showed me how to catch  a bigger crappie. Fact is, I got a 9incher & she got an 11 incher. THAT WAS ALL! Justfishn and 2 other crappie fishermen also failed to catch them. My Hummingbird showed only a few scattered fish. Both fish were caught  on long lines with minnow/jigs.  I wonder where they all went?????? Water temp was 77 degrees when we left at 10:30 AM.  dada 5-13-18  8AM

Edited by dada

The ones I found lately are pretty deep.  Sometimes 30 foot or more.  Caught one week before last at 40 feet.  Fortunately  it was a keeper, since you can't release them caught that deep.  Wife and I went out on Friday looking for bluegill. Switched to  crappie later in day and crappie fished about an hour and had 5 keepers.  All deep.  Didn't stay long as it was heating up quickly.

From what i seen on the fishfinder yesterday they were stacked up from 25 to 40 feet and diagnosed with lockjaw. Looks like the summertime pattern has started a little earlier.  Night time fishing from here on out for me probably. Too dang hot and it aint even June yet. 

Wish ya'll more crappie but I'm gonna have to go with the deep thinkers!

Not sure if crappie released after hooking deep are different from their cousins, black bass.  But if we catch bass deeper than say 20ft they gotta get fizzed or released asap.

If you keep em in the live well they get bloated, float upside down and have trouble surviving. But fizzed, a lot on youtube on this, or released asap and they'll live to fight another day.

My problem is catching em fist!

On 5/14/2018 at 11:11 AM, Tubejig said:

Wish ya'll more crappie but I'm gonna have to go with the deep thinkers!

Not sure if crappie released after hooking deep are different from their cousins, black bass.  But if we catch bass deeper than say 20ft they gotta get fizzed or released asap.

If you keep em in the live well they get bloated, float upside down and have trouble surviving. But fizzed, a lot on youtube on this, or released asap and they'll live to fight another day.

My problem is catching em fist!

Just looking at old reports to keep in mind for later use. Was interested in you comments on a caught fish being fizzed. Don't know what it is and never heard of it. Could you tell me what it involves, don't want to kill fish that l won't eat.

Youtube has a bunch of vids on this subject.  When a bass gets hooked in deep water ,in summer months especially, then get brought to the surface the bladder can swell.

This air bladder swelling up can cause survival issues. Fizzing is the way to go id you do not release immediately .  Tournament guys in the summer do it to save the fish.

Search it on youtube. Very Interesting

4 hours ago, Tubejig said:

Youtube has a bunch of vids on this subject.  When a bass gets hooked in deep water ,in summer months especially, then get brought to the surface the bladder can swell.

This air bladder swelling up can cause survival issues. Fizzing is the way to go id you do not release immediately .  Tournament guys in the summer do it to save the fish.

Thanks for info. Hope l can save some fish l don't eat.

My problem is catching!  I usually don't catch fish that deep. But I use clips instead of fizzing. Not sure why I didn't mention this before, getting old ain't for the faint of heart, but I find it easier to use clips on the bottom fins to keep the fish from floating upside down. If the bladder gets full of air too quickly, bring to surface quickly will cause this, a good way to keep them alive is to use alligator clips. The clips keep the fish weighed down on bottom forcing the fish to stay upright. Staying upright keeps fish from bloating and choking to death.

Remember these methods are for survival of fish that are going to be in live well for some time before going to weigh in.  Dead fish don't do anyone any good unless you are going to have them for supper!

I've never heard of the crappie guys doing this, maybe they do and maybe they don't.

The crappie tourney guys may be helpful in learning if they have "tricks".

Most guys and gals that I know keep their crappie catch or release immediately which eliminates fizzing or clipping.   

Going to fish Sat and Monday.  Happy Turkey Day!

Tubejig,  good report on clips, but crappie usually don't expire too fast  when pulled from the deeper waters.  Fizzing on bass usually means using a small needle (diabetic type) to draw air from the bladder, but 1/2 gallon plastic bottles of ice keeps the bass for the weigh-ins. DON'T USE ICE. Most ice has some chlorine when made & will kill the fish!  dada 11-16-18  8:36 AM

On 11/15/2018 at 6:21 PM, Tubejig said:

I watched some youtube of fizzing techniques. They describe the technique very well and it looked like it saved fish. I don't tournament fish though, so if l do catch a bass it goes back in the lake.