MuskyMan

I need a bait tank and a cast net, any suggestions ?

I am thinking of a 50 gallon or so, and I gotta learn how to throw a castnet and not " donate " it into the lake permanently ..........

1827.jpg

The Striper guys have forgotten more about bait tanks and casts nets than I will ever know. If you are throwing it in ft loudoun or watts bar you better buy a cheap one! Or I can just give you the GPS coordinates of a dozen or so that I have lost in there

Edited by rusty50576

Striperman Ron Whilden has a 50gl. Mel's for sale if it isn't gone already. Cast nets are a different story , what kind of  bait, what depth ,what water like lake or river. I like a 7 foot 3/8 mesh for shallow water, 8ft or less of water, if I go deeper I like a 5/8 mesh, if you go real deep you want a ribbon net, most call them deep hole nets. I carry 4 different nets at all times.

P.S. we all have'm laying on the bottom,  some more than others.

99% of the ones I have lost are right next to the bank just below ft loudoun dam. Sometimes it’s the only place to get bait and you have to let it sink into the holes 

I have a nice 12 volt circulator/ aerator you are welcome to it.i will not be down till august but i would ship it,free,just hook me up later this year...fillets or just a tip on a spot.it is a bilge,factory retrofitted as a aerator.probably 40.00 or so $ new...dont use it....now you need a tank...horse before the cart.20180415_124059.thumb.jpg.8762f1abd02a547dc16574014834a253.jpg

20180415_124036.jpg

20180417_145133.jpg

Edited by kwk
pics
  • Like 1

My cheapo cast net is a Betts No-Spook 10' in 3/8 mesh.  If you are new to cast netting, I would probably start with a 6' and work up from there.

And, yes, I have several in various lakes that are now permanent fixtures.  I have figured out if you order them in pairs, the shipping cost is the same.

• Like 2

Agree if your new to cast net just get wally world cheapy until you get the hang of it. Once you get hang of throwing cheap one then move up to bigger size and nicer quality. I have caught plenty of bait with a cheapo and learning hurts less. Also if you have a Basspro near I purchased a net and the extended warranty after I was told it replaced damaged nets. After one bad day of fishing I had a destroyed net and stopped by Basspro to see what would happen and left with a new one on the spot free. Warranty on second net cost $14.00 and it was replaced few months later but had to ship it in and got a gift card due to time after purchase. Think it was 30 days or less change at store over 30 send in. Either way it work twice now and saved me 60-70 each time.

Bait tank depends on what you want to spend really. Cheaper hold bait less time so more bait catching if you are out all day but cost can be huge difference. I started with a cheaper keepalive but after learning more about shad I converted it to an outside filter system and can keep bait easily for 12 hrs or longer with no issues. Cost around 200 after conversion but I have it wired and plumbed for easy removal and filter cleaning is quick and easy.

Also learned conditioning net really helps cast smoother and less frustration when learning is better. I use cap of downy and a 5 gal bucket and soak over night then rinse and hang to dry. Softens net(even helped on cheapo)

• Like 1

I immediately kiss every new cast net goodbye.  Because, I know its going to leave me when I need it most.  I have enough handlines to rope a herd of cattle.

• Like 1

Well i have a serious learning curve...used to throw a net on the gulf for shrimp for specks....never lost one.guessin i should just prepare...buy 2 and do the soak overnite... yall will here me whining soon enough..

• Like 1

I am trying the Bass Pro gear guard warranty on a new net that is on order.  I'll keep you posted.  I told the young lady that sold me the net that sometimes all I got back was the rope.  She laughed and said bring it in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Makele said:

Just curious, how are ya"ll losing the nets snags on bottom or let go of leash?  

Snags

Rocks, stumps, submerged trees, barbed wire fences, submerged metal objects, aka cars, who knows.  I now have a primary and two spares.  Soon to have another.

It is really helpful if you can cruise over a bait hole looking for dangers.  Doesn't mean you wont  lose a net.  But, it does kind of even up the odds.  Of course, lots of times your first shot at catching is your only one.

I have found just what you need. 40 gal. Super bait Vest, 3 cast nets, planner boards, extra filter , salt, 1000 gpa filler pump. Great deal $.

Call Bill 865-291-7944 Knoxville area.

Edited by ecox