Sign in to follow this  
ProTek

Learn How to Fish Docks

Jay Yelas gives his comprehensive guide to approaching docks when fishing for bass. He talks shade, features that make a dock good, dissecting the dock, choosing docks, tackle, technique and more. Everything *an angler needs to know about fishing docks from a guy who has made a long and lucrative career from flipping and pitching jigs and plastics around docks for bass. No bass catches in this one. Just 8 minutes of Jay’s thoughts on how to approach each dock.http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/wired2fish/~4/a5g5AALvrlE[video=youtube;GC-uNmdkJpw]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-uNmdkJpw

• Like 1

kycurs, when i can't buy a bite, i fish docks. if you don't already know how, learn to pitch & flip like a champ. some of the biggest fish i've caught have come from flipping docks.

kycurs, when i can't buy a bite, i fish docks. if you don't already know how, learn to pitch & flip like a champ. some of the biggest fish i've caught have come from flipping docks.

Amen! And walls too!

One thing I wanted to add about flipping docks or boathouses.

Try flipping a white "floating" rat in clear water.

Flip a black or chartreuse in stained or muddy water. I also added some worm rattles to my dark rats (on the hook shank) so they would make more sound under these docks. (but not much, just a little rattle will do)

You can also flip top water baits under docks but I have found that you can easily spook these bigger dock fish with noisy baits... so you want to put your bait in quiet and smooth. Then just pull it gently toward you.......you may be surprised what a explosion you hear.

Those big bass will not let a little rat make it out from under a dock IF they see it or hear it.

Revolverman

Edited by Revolverman
  • Like 2

Flip a black or chartreuse in stained or muddy water. I also added some worm rattles to my dark rats (on the hook shank) so they would make more sound under these docks. (but not much, just a little rattle will do)

You can also flip top water baits under docks but I have found that you can easily spook these bigger dock fish with noisy baits... so you want to put your bait in quiet and smooth. Then just pull it gently toward you.......you may be surprised what a explosion you hear.

Those big bass will not let a little rat make it out from under a dock IF they see it or hear it.

Revolverman

Works like a top,I have a late uncle who would beat you sensless around docks with a black rat. He was some kind of bass fisherman.

I am in the process of learning..I am going to go out on Boone tomorrow and see if I cant do this skipping thing. Hope not to get no back lashes. Also hope this cold front hasnt given them the lock jaw.

Think of it this way, your hanging around your kitchen and you are very hungry and someone throws you a big hot roll with butter on it.......that big hot roll would be gone in a second.

Them big bass are hiding, they are relaxing in the shade when all of a sudden, "PLOP" !

There right in front of them is this big white rat that fell in the water off the dock, it is trying to swim away, very slightly struggling......when the big bass says, "No way" and simply sucks it in expecting hair and meat...........OOPs, it gets rubber and a steel shank hook !

Better have good flippin line tied on.......cause she is not in a good mood now.......:-)

Revolverman

Edited by Revolverman

I've had alot of luck just pitching a 5" Stick-O  worm just simply using a "Wacky Rig" .  Super easy rig & just choose worm color based on water condition,  pitch under or on shady side of the dock & just let the lightweight rig do all the work.  It sinks slow & actually has alot of action,  I've watched bass see it, turn it down & then HAVE to bite it since it stays in the strike zone so long.  Just a reaction bite mostly during those hot summer months but nothing like a big bass smashing a slow working plastic,  gets the old ticker pumping.

Revolverman

Interesting idea.  Will give this a go sometime.

Another thing to practice is getting your pitching skills down so that the lure (jig & pig in most cases for me) flys low and perpendicular to the surface. This will help you not only to pitch further under docks, under tree limbs, but it will help getting into other openings as well.

Finally, when your lure reaches it's destination or the end of the cast, lower your rod while keeping it level. This helps you to "set it down" with less splash. This will create less splash and give a much more subtle intro to your presentation. I'm not saying that a splash is not good once in a while, but practicing these things will make you better at pitching. If my pitch falls short, I often don't set it down. The extra ruckus sometimes draws the fish out to investigate.

• Like 1

I want to add that you can stop the lure in the air with your thumb and set it down too. I usually use my hand to feed out some extra line so the jig drops straight down instead of swinging back towards me. Then I lock it up. Jig........jig jig.....BAM!

• Like 2