dada

walleye, crappie, water condition

Fished Walters Bridge M,Tu,W, & today. Saugers are running, good size,  walleyes were small.  Water stained & 59 degrees today. crappie were larger than expected. (3)  Think I will slack off  Douglas and try Melton if it doesn't rain tomorrow.   dada 2=23 18   7:47 PM

I should have saw you somewhere for I was there. Two small Walleye, two medium Crappie, a catfish and lots of White Bass. The boat fleet was sure there. You could tell that it was Friday and pretty. Got very warm too. Hate I missed you. Remember a gentleman ( don't know his name ) fell from boat on ramp this morning. For sure broke his nose. I had just walked pasted him and heard the sound and then the guy with him opened truck door and hollered. Went back and helped them. He was one tough feller I tell you. Pray that he is alright.  Truck was stopped but gentleman thought that it was running away so he was trying to jump out ( his words )

Reckon im gonna try it tomorrow. Prob pull boards with jigs a while. If nuttin im gonna switch to nightcrawlers and drift for cats. Just looking for a good supper.  Water temp is sounding good but guess water fluctuations are still a factor. Dono.....

VaMason, Yes, the parking  lot was full out to the hwy. My  boat is an old 14'  Seymore,  red, with DADA 3 on the stern & a 25. Jusfishn, we tried longlining for the crappie, trolled upstream, but the current was too strong,  not a bite that way. You have to be in still waters to use boards. I would try the main lake for crappie, as they have started to turn on.   Good luck.    dada 2-24-18  8AM

I did see a couple boats below the Walters Bridge Spider rigged. Talked to one guy just above Ten Island ,he had his limit in Crappie. Not sure if he got them there or down. He never would say. Had some nice ones . May head back down Monday or Tuesday with Daughter. She was sad that she couldn't make it Friday. She loves being outdoors.

LOng range forcast- Mon-58, Tues- 64. IF I TRAP SOME CREEK  MINNOWS, I just might try it again .   dada  2-24-18  10:40 AM

Lake is clearing, very good in main lake but pretty stained back in creek embayments.  Water temp was 66 degrees (not typo) where I was fishing.  Caught 60+crappie  8-9 15/16", with 18 keepers.  Lake changes, and fish move almost every day as lake has been dropping a foot a day. Now it looks like TVA is going to take it back up a foot a day starting Monday.  Talk about confused fish.  TVA normally starts it back up on March 1 anyway. VaMason if you decide to go back on Monday or Tuesday send me a PM.  I might be able to help you get your daughter into some crappie.

Went from 3 to 530 this evening. Brought 9 crappie ,1 sm ,and 1 white bass home. The crappie were all good sized with lengths of 10 to 13 inches. One was a slab of a fish. Had 3 shake the hook at boat and 1 break line. Figured it was a bass of some sort. Water temp. 61.6 to 62.8 and fishing in 15 to 30 feet of water catching them around 6 to 8 feet. Purple and black jigs and white was the most liked colors. Also hitting crankbaits good. Trolled 1.4 all the way to 2 mph with good results. I did employ my " drift sock aka 5 gallon bucket lol. Was able to knock roughly .6 mph off of trolling speed. Was a  very good day.  And btw, which i knew better but was in a hurry, i stopped at Dadas favorite bait shop Rimmers and paid 4.49 for 18 nightcrawlers. I didnt use them but im not sure id felt right about anyways. I mean a worm that costs that much must have a gold nugget up its butt....:stir_pot:

20180224_210338-1200x1600.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the report Jusfishn. I am looking at heading that way Tuesday. That is a Nice table of fillets. I stopped at Rimmers once upon a time too. First and Last. I can't afford those prices. I like the Drift sock idea, Great idea. On my older boat a gentleman had fixed ( welded up a trolling brake for me that worked great ) bad choice I let it go with the boat when I sold. He is no older living to redo his design.

• Like 1

O.K. Justfishn, You fixed my son's outboard, now I am wondering if you have a little dementia for stopping at Rymers!   LOL  Especially when Bucks & Bass was only a mile away???Even Walmart has crawlers for $2.79 for 18. I JUST GOT IN FROM PICKING UP A 2# CAN OF NIGHTCRAWLERS IN THE RAIN @ 7AM. Had to use an umbrella, but worth it when the LARGE minnows aren't available.  Another question- How did you find my "honey hole" & catch those crappie??? Call or mail me.       VaMason,  Check with Minnerman for the way he slows his big motor when spider rigging.    Now lets hope for good weather for Walleyes on Tuesday.   dada 2-25-18  8:34 AM

No i didnt make any holes. Reason being is i wanted as much drag as possible. I may possibly drill me 1 hole on the side of bucket toward bottom so the air has somewhere to go. It seemed to wanna burb every now and then so i wouldnt care to eliminate that from happening. 

I may also fix me another bucket up so i can slow it down even more.  Dono...

Rusty, im sure u know this but just make sure if u put a bucket out to slow u down,  make sure its centered. If not it will pull one way or the other. I also drilled 2 holes, one on each side  at top of bucket to run rope thru. I didnt figure the metal handle will take the pressure that is generated.

I bought a drift sock from BP that works really well.  It has a line on it for emptying the sock when you are ready to pull it in.  That reduces the drag to nearly nothing.

Yeah dlove day, i havent done it yet but i was planning on attaching a rope to the bottom so i could flip it and then pull it aboard empty.  Im just a cheapskate i guess or i would go buy a sock. Ive looked at em but really no more than i would use it,it just wasnt really worth it to me. Lot easier to store a sock im sure tho. 

On 2/25/2018 at 6:49 AM, VaMason said:

Thanks for the report Jusfishn. I am looking at heading that way Tuesday. That is a Nice table of fillets. I stopped at Rimmers once upon a time too. First and Last. I can't afford those prices. I like the Drift sock idea, Great idea. On my older boat a gentleman had fixed ( welded up a trolling brake for me that worked great ) bad choice I let it go with the boat when I sold. He is no older living to redo his design.

VaMason, do you have a picture of the trolling brake?  I have a plasma/cnc in my garage and love to tinker with this type of stuff.  Maybe I could come up with a clone or something that works similar.

Graffy, I looked at all the Pic's that I could find before I came to work and I don't have any of the motor nor of the brake. Hind sight is 20/20. Wish I did take some pic's.  It was a 70 Johnson and with the brake on the motor, you could put it in gear and the boat would not move at all. Give a little gas and off you went as slow as you wanted. Was very nice. He did a great job. He was like you, Liked to tinker and see what he could come up with.

VaMason.  Thanks for the info.  I'd never heard of the device.  Checked out YouTube today and they had several videos showing and explaining how they work.  My boat/motor isn't big enough to need such a thing but its still something I'll start to play with.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:03 PM, VaMason said:

Graffy, I looked at all the Pic's that I could find before I came to work and I don't have any of the motor nor of the brake. Hind sight is 20/20. Wish I did take some pic's.  It was a 70 Johnson and with the brake on the motor, you could put it in gear and the boat would not move at all. Give a little gas and off you went as slow as you wanted. Was very nice. He did a great job. He was like you, Liked to tinker and see what he could come up with.

Graffy,  I sent a message to the gentleman's son about the trolling brake and he told me that his father didn't take or keep any pic's of anything he made. He did draw out plans and measurements of each thing though. He promised me that in due time he would look for these. I hope he finds them

Edited by VaMason