TrophyLakerTaker

East TN Lakers and Trout 2018 (part 3)

That is interesting when I was there a week and a half ago we had 68 on the surface mid fifties was like 35 down.  If the Calderwood was generating that means wAter is coming from 180+ feet from the bottom which is ice water.  When I was at Calderwood talking to some anglers camping they were complaining the water being to cold with all the generation going in.  That is what they were claiming.  We put our feet inthe water at Calderwood and it was numbing.  

Did you shoot the temp with your fishhawk?   

• Like 1

I didn't use my Fishhawk.  Chilhowee is the one lake where I thought I'd never need to use it.  I'm surprised that you had to go 35 feet down to hit the mid-50's.  Normally,  the mid-50' is about 4-8 feet down  in the lower lake, historically. Was your measurement at the dam? Most of the lake is less than 35 feet deep.  I thought about the Fishhawk on the way home as my mind tried to make sense of the warm water.

I'm still struggling to make sense out of 65 degree water coming out of Calderwood. Normally, Fontana's release water seldom rise above the low 50's. Fontana has generated off massive amounts of water repeatedly because of flooding fears. At one point, Fontana sluiced out one tube for a few days. Could it be that Fontana has run out of the really cold water this year...???  I'm having a hard time imagining any scenario where Santeetlah water and the warm, little Cheoah River could warm the Little T more than a scant, few degrees.  I'd like to know what the temp of Fontana's release is today.

1 hour ago, Troutgirl said:

I didn't use my Fishhawk.  Chilhowee is the one lake where I thought I'd never need to use it.  I'm surprised that you had to go 35 feet down to hit the mid-50's.  Normally,  the mid-50' is about 4-8 feet down  in the lower lake, historically. Was your measurement at the dam? Most of the lake is less than 35 feet deep.  I thought about the Fishhawk on the way home as my mind tried to make sense of the warm water.

I'm still struggling to make sense out of 65 degree water coming out of Calderwood. Normally, Fontana's release water seldom rise above the low 50's. Fontana has generated off massive amounts of water repeatedly because of flooding fears. At one point, Fontana sluiced out one tube for a few days. Could it be that Fontana has run out of the really cold water this year...???  I'm having a hard time imagining any scenario where Santeetlah water and the warm, little Cheoah River could warm the Little T more than a scant, few degrees.  I'd like to know what the temp of Fontana's release is today.

Yes temp was taken near dam last point on right before dam.

I know that spot. It's quite popular with the Smallmouth set. 50 degree water there should be no more than 10 feet down unless there's a drought or somethin' and Fontana isn't releasing much....and this should hold true in summer unless there's a drought. Under average conditions, all the water in Chilhowee will roll over every two days.  It's probably turned over even faster many weeks in the past several months. I hope that the 65 degree water was some kind of fluke and that the whole lake isn't 65 top to bottom.