be careful on those icy ramps

As the topic title says fellas...

My cousin went duck hunting early this morning before sunrise.  Launched his little duck hunting boat, but it wouldn't start. He pulled it up to the dock with the trolling motor and went to his jeep still sitting on the ramp, opened the door to grab some work gloves and tools and at that moment she started sliding backwards on the ramp.

There was nothing he could do to stop it. He had just gotten the jeep last spring, and installed the lift kit and wheels around the 4th of July so ... sitting on the icy deep waters of Dale Hollow right now is $40k in Jeep and trailer. They won't be able to retrieve it for a while, until the water warms up a bit so the diver can hook it up.

I have to admit though, I'd consider selling my soul to have security footage of the look on his face from that marina... or better yet... explaining this to his wife & insurance company. :shocked:

• Sad 1

Man! I guess the bright side is he didn't fall and break something. 

I'm curious, does anyone use chains on the ramps in winter, or is that even allowed?

I've run chains on my truck to get home a few times. They probably wouldn't help on an icy ramp. They are only good on snow. Sucks about the jeep. I figured it would've stopped when the rear wheels went into the water because the ramp wouldn't have ice on it under water. Wierd stuff happens. 

• Like 1

I  put in on icy ramps for decades and never had any problem after the tires went under water like Roybrew mentioned.  A couple of winters ago I stopped putting in on icy ramps because I have serious balance issues now and would probably fall and break something . 

• Like 1

On freezing days, you also have to watch out for trucks that have drum brakes (shoes) in the rear. When launching early in the morning, your back drums get wet and then you go park it. If it says cold out, they ice over inside the drums.

So later on when you go to back in at the launch...stay in the truck with your foot on the brake pedal because your emergency brake won't hold squat. It only pushes the rear brake shoes out on vehicles so equipped.

Belive me...I had a truck roll right in and go under years ago. Sucked.Good thing the boat was still hooked up to the trailer...it kept the back of the truck up enough for there to be a little air in there for my rottie. Not fun.

• Confused 1

Karma, are they pulling his jeep out during this warm spell or waiting til spring?

Also, thanks for the answers. I have more questions but I'll not ask them here. I've already hijacked this thread more than intended.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:51 AM, gd77punk said:

Karma, are they pulling his jeep out during this warm spell or waiting til spring?

Also, thanks for the answers. I have more questions but I'll not ask them here. I've already hijacked this thread more than intended.

sorry haven't been on in a bit.

I am not sure but I am going home this coming week so I am thinking of grabbing the boat and going out to where it is and see if I can get some good images of it on sonar.... and then text them to him. :stir_pot:

• Haha 1