NukeFisher

Flutter/Jigging Spoons

Picked up some casting spoon blanks from Jann's Netcraft.  3/4oz nickel.  Used a 4/0 O'Shaughnessy hook on a size 5 split ring.  Attached with a snap swivel.  I checked out the action of these spoons set up like this.  It pretty much had a wonderful flutter action; slow and horizontal.  I suppose this is cool considering the cost of name brand spoons.  It would come out to a little over 1 dollar for each setup.  Do any of y'all have experience with this type of thing?  I mean, slapping a hook and split ring on a blank spoon instead of paying several dollars for a name brand spoon. 

Check out sutton spoons.weigh next to nothing.we troll them but they could work on a modified drop shot. The flutter is unmatched.

I looked them up and read a little about them.  That is an interesting company.  A lot of great things said about their spoons.  I don't know if they would work for me though. I was trying to set something up that would cast well and be set on the bottom without so much fear of losing an expensive lure if it somehow got snagged.  I actually lost one of the ones I put together recently do to a snag.  Just out of curiosity, did you visit the store in Naples?

I'm also curious if the modified drop shot you mentioned is the setup with a spoon instead of a weight? 

The use of sutton spoons on a drop shot set is theory on part to be honest, i would think there would be a fine line for the length  of the off set leader,type of line and a big tangled mess. I do know that they are so thin and near weightless,they really cant be cast and for a vertical jigging situation....you would need a shave and a bath and breakfast before they hit bottom. I seriously doubt many fish in Tn have seen these spoons.

Edited by kwk
incorrect info

Little Cleos are cheap,change out the treble to a  single hook that might bend on a snag.another trick that is used up in maine is a mooselook wobbler,they remove the hook,tie a mono or flouro leader (up to 18" )  then a single hook apropriate to the fish and put a piece of crawler on.this could easily be modified to a streamer or a minnow....no kidding,really works.

Its a kind of poor mans "dodger"...mooselook is a maine go to for guys who like to troll ,ocasionally used for casting,i think its more the principle than the brand name,. I have used keel sinkers,they come with no twist swivels on each end cheaper than planer discs..try telling that to a old maine yankee.haha, i have used inline otter planers but i get extremely bored trolling....always end up structure,  weedbed or blowdown fishing for bass.

Edited by kwk
im a idiot

Maybe this will inspire you..having issues uploading more.ill try later...

aviary-image-1517171981414.jpeg

Edited by kwk
  • Like 1

That's funny i  bought one of those at Gander Mountain a long time ago.  When I took it Fishing I could not figure out who would make a spoon that doesn't sink! Haha