Troutgirl

Winter Trout Stocking Progam, Golden Rainbows

Howse the brookie fishing in the smokies? Looks like we r not to far from the park.

Very Good when it's warm outside. Fish are almost all below 10" unless you go to a trophy stream 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwk said:

Howse the brookie fishing in the smokies? Looks like we r not to far from the park.

In my experience, almost almost all the native Brookies are less than 6". I gave up fishing for them because of their diminutive size. The only natives over 6" that I ever caught were a pair of 8 inchers that I caught on consecutive casts in Calderwood Lake back in the 70's. I presume that they came from the upper reaches of Slickrock Creek or Little Slickrock Creek. Nobody stocked Brookies back then.

As far as I'm concerned, the native Brookies have no angling value....too small.

That may be,...they  are deilcious,pan fried ..especially for a bank lunch.my wife at one of our favorite brookie spots.we did catch lunch,no clue where the fish pics went,must have eaten them.

aviary-image-1517161770587.jpeg

Edited by kwk

I used to cook my trout on a stick, like a weenie, in the back country....or bake 'em in aluminum foil. I didn't carry oil. I let the Brookies go and ate Rainbows and Browns that I caught farther downstream.

Tek, you must know the trick in oct/nov for trolling a "champlain jane" streamer etc. in the prop wash,split shot and a inline barrel swivel for the landlocks.i actually held the champlain record for landlock,13 lbs....20 years,caught it on 4 lb line no lead,not allowed,Ausable chasm, hiked in a 3/4 mile .

not the tourist trap area,though,before.30 minute fight on a ultra lite...piece of crawler ,tail....absolutely has to be in their face....those were the days... i am a freakin fossil,...with a pulse.forgive the cigarrete,i quit over 20 years ago.

aviary-image-1517183256263.jpeg

Edited by kwk
photo

....a substantial amount of ct,s last holdout streams with true native strain  brook trout have been invaded by browns,we have caught them 3" long,our DEEP does not stock 3" browns in small brooks.One of our favorite spots(we call it the "idiot hole"...the brookies are really stupid and if you cant catchem,you are a idiot) mostly private land so no stocking.how the browns got in?? We kill and eat them all.they dont belong there.competition for food with the natives.

Troutgirl,

I love those little brookies! Always will.

KWK,

You had to be downstream from the Chasm to have prop wash. It's really tough to get past where 9 crosses over. Perhaps down between the bend at the railroad bridge and the campground. I have some buddys that used to troll streamers then. I was a hunter back then...so naaaa. I did hit some secret musky holes farther north on the Chazy in the later fall.

Mushed my senteces,we hiked in to the spot where i got the giant landlock.

• Haha 1

Kinda hijacked the thread,my apologies to troutgirl,....these are from our idiot hole.

aviary-image-1517247815193.jpeg

4 hours ago, ProTek said:

Troutgirl,

I love those little brookies! Always will.....

I love the little Southern Strain Brookies so much that I refuse to ever fish for 'em again. They're so tiny and they begin dying of old age at 3 and very, very seldom live beyond 5. I didn't mind catching Northern Strain Brookies when they were stocking 'em in Calderwood. I wish they'd resume that! I wish they'd put some in Chilhowee....where some of 'em would stand a chance of exceeding 4 pounds, 12 ounces, the current state record.

The bottom 2 are obviosly browns.we used to catch 8,10 ocasional 12" brook trout until the browns got in there.we tend to think that a couple heavy october rains gave them access over some beaver dams from the farmington river.look at the spots on the 2nd brown,that is a wild brown,the other is a holdover  stocker that swam 8 or so miles under high water conditions both had eggs,glad we got them out pre spawn.our DEEP has severly damaged our native strains.

Edited by kwk

KWK, I caught one of those Land-locked Salmon when I was a teenager. We were on a family vacation to New Hampshire and our car developed problems. We stayed in a motel on a lake in a town I do not recall for 3 days. The first evening there, on one of my first couple of casts with a spinner, B-I-N-G-O! I caught a 20" Salmon. I so thought I'd catch another one. The only other fish I caught was a Bullhead that I snagged in the side. It's the only Salmon I've ever caught. I really should go up to Lake Michigan and charter a boat.....

I sit out in front of our cabin on Little Wolf pond every night when we go up to the Adirondacks ,thill nite lite floats,live shiners,2lb bullheads,crystal clear.water.now theres some fine eatin.

20170812_063549-1152x1152.jpg

Edited by kwk

Theres my boat,do you think this will fly on the resevoirs in Tn.?  have front and console humminbirds with si and di ,only a 40 hp merc,value your opinion,you are obviously knowledgable about the water.thanx.

Edited by kwk

Great taste in shoelaces...and a sense of  humor.my wife does blaze orange thursday,shoes,socks and the sweatshirt.green tuesdays...:huh:

7 hours ago, Troutgirl said:

I love the little Southern Strain Brookies so much that I refuse to ever fish for 'em again. They're so tiny and they begin dying of old age at 3 and very, very seldom live beyond 5. I didn't mind catching Northern Strain Brookies when they were stocking 'em in Calderwood. I wish they'd resume that! I wish they'd put some in Chilhowee....where some of 'em would stand a chance of exceeding 4 pounds, 12 ounces, the current state record.

I've been catching the northern ones one limit (per person in the boat) at a time and making smoked trout dip. It's delicious. To clarify: I smoke the trout, my girlfriend makes the dip

Edited by rusty50576