Troutgirl

Winter Trout Stocking Progam, Golden Rainbows

I was watching channel 10 news last night and they had a bit about the TWRA winter trout stocking program. They were next to a dam, too close up to guess which one and they didn't say which. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Percy Priest Dam. That's right next to the road and is always included in this program. They showed a guy catching a healthy looking Golden Rainbow that looked 16-18". I've never heard of 'em stocking Golden Rainbows before. It makes me wanna run out and catch a few....

• Like 1

There are some videos on the TWRA facebook page including one with a fisherman showing a golden rainbow trout he caught below Columbia Dam on the Duck River posted on the 9th.  Another video has an interview with a gentleman from TWRA who said they weren't stocking golden rainbows at Percy Priest but the Flintville Hatchery stocking locations will include them and the Duck River at Fisherman's Park and the Duck River at Riverside Dam were stocked with some on the 8th.  Not sure if this helps.

Thanks for the reply! I looked at Facebook and saw the schedule. I bet the Columbia Dam was the one on TV that I saw....? I doubt I'm gonna drive there. Most of the stocking sites are very far away. I wish they'd put some of those Golden Rainbows in Chilhowee Lake where I fish regularly. They're so pretty!

Reading your post was the first I have heard about it and began reading a little bit more about the stocking programs.  I never knew the Dale Hollow Fish Hatchery had such a huge impact.  What I am wondering is what happens with all of the other Golden Rainbows produced.  Really cool to learn about.

Two different sources told me that TWRA began stocking trout in Chilhowee last fall. I have no idea if they're done. January and February is the usual time frame for their stockings. 

19 hours ago, NukeFisher said:

Reading your post was the first I have heard about it and began reading a little bit more about the stocking programs.  I never knew the Dale Hollow Fish Hatchery had such a huge impact.  What I am wondering is what happens with all of the other Golden Rainbows produced.  Really cool to learn about.

A couple of years ago, a bunch of Republican budget hawks wanted to cut back on the Dale Hollow Hatchery or shift the costs somewhere else other than the Federal Government. Lamar Alexander, in a rare feat of usefulness, saved the hatchery as we know it. If it wasn't for that hatchery, our Trout Stamps might cost a whole lot more....???

I wish TWRA would publish what trout species are going into Chilhowee going forward. If Lakers are in the mix, it'll be 5 years before there's one worth catching. They grow slow. I spoke to two TWRA agents during the draw-down and requested some Brown Trout. I wouldn't mind having some Brook Trout mixed in. The way Rainbows grow in Chilhowee, I bet Chilhowee might just produce a new state record Brookie. I can picture some 4-6 pound Brookies. I'm certain that trout gain weight faster in Chilhowee than the other trout lakes. The Rainbows from Chilhowee are weighing 4 pounds by the time they're 20-21". Why wouldn't the Brookies....? The Rainbows I've caught in Watauga seem to carry less poundage to the inch....or maybe the long skiiny Rainbows I've caught there are an aberration? When the Little T was running free below Chilhowee Dam, the then Game & Fish Commission, said the Browns and Rainbows grew 1.5-2" a month. I'm sure they grow at least that fast in Chilhowee.

Edited by Troutgirl
  • Like 1

Brook trout are primarily insect feeders.some small crustacaens in winter,once they crack 15/18"...all bets are off.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:13 PM, kwk said:

Brook trout are primarily insect feeders.some small crustacaens in winter,once they crack 15/18"...all bets are off.

In big water, Brookies are swallowing anything they can by the time they're 9-12 inches long. Like other Char family members, they have large mouths. That's pretty much how their cousins, Bull Trout, Lake Trout, and Arctic Char behave too. I've had 12-14" Lakers at Watauga hit 4" spoons. When they were stocking Brookies in Calderwood, they struck minnows like crazy.

Here in ct they have a hybrid called a tiger trout,they are sterile,cant reproduce.the golden trout are called "palominos"....also there is a strain of browns called a "seeforellen" they live so long they dont reach sexual maturity till at least 8/to/ 10 years old,prior to that all they do is eat and grow huge.... they use them to clean up overpopulations of alewives.they are very efficient.

Several Tiger Trout have been caught in the Tuckasegee River that flows into Fontana Lake over the last couple of years. Nobody has stocked them. Browns and Brookies spawn at the same time, fall. The cross only works with a female Brown and a male Brookie. When they're both spawning in the same pool, a cloud of Brookie sperm can sometimes hit a Brown's nest and you can get a few. They're easy to make in hatcheries. Wisconsin used to stock lots of 'em in Lake Michigan. Peopled liked 'em because they're pretty and they grow to 5 pounds or more very quickly.

Now that we r on hybrids, i have caught splake in few lakes in the Adirondacks,laker / brookie frankenfish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwk said:

Now that we r on hybrids, i have caught splake in few lakes in the Adirondacks,laker / brookie frankenfish.

Now he's talking about my neck of the woods. Born and raised in the Adirondacks. So when people think I'm from the city...better think again. I was brought up on brookies.

heilman_fa795_34.jpg

3 hours ago, kwk said:

Any of the Char, Arctic Char, Brookies, Blueback Trout, Sunapee Golden Trout, Red Trout, Bull Trout, and Lakers can easily interbreed. Lakers are the most evolved away from the starting point, Arctic Char. That doesn't stop them, the other Char family members, from breeding with Lakers. There's a caveat. The bigger Lakers might eat them instead of spawning with them. Up in New Hampshire there's a lake called Sunapee. It was the home of Sunapee Golden Trout. It's a Char that looked quite similar to Brookies. When Sunapee Lake was becoming a tourist destination, Lake Trout were introduced. There's no Sunapee Trout in Sunapee Lake anymore. It wasn't long before the Lakers ate and breed the natives out of existence. Sunapee Goldens were long thought extinct. However, there's a population of 'em in an Idaho Lake that was forgotten for many years. Long ago, Idaho and New Hampshire traded Trout eggs and the offspring are thriving in a scant few, small Idaho Lakes. They can't be returned to Sunapee Lake because the Lakers are still there.

Most Splakes come from Hatcheries. They're possible in nature but Lakers are more likely to eat than spawn with smaller Char species. The Lakers in Sunapee Lake have some Sunapee Golden DNA in 'em but you wouldn't know it by looking.

Edited by Troutgirl

2 hours ago, ProTek said:

Now he's talking about my neck of the woods. Born and raised in the Adirondacks. So when people think I'm from the city...better think again. I was brought up on brookies.

heilman_fa795_34.jpg

Nice Picture! I lived up there for a year. My dad moved us up there when he was getting some training at Saranac Lake. We lived between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid but  closer to Lake Placid. Lake Placid was a way more fun place. That's where I watched Lakers spawn in the Mirror Lake arm of Lake Placid. They came into the rocky shallows of Mirror Lake to spawn in October. I never caught a single fish in Lake Placid. I never went out in a boat. I did catch some Brookies and Browns in the Au Sable River. I never caught many or anything at all large. It was my impression that it was mostly put and take fishing.

• Like 1

I've went for plenty of rides wading the Ausable. My kids went to Saranac. Ever go out to Fish Creek and hit Horeshoe for iceout Rainbows?

I didn't fish all that much in New York. I was a teenager without ready transportation. I fished the most times from the banks of Lake Placid and never caught a darn thing. I mostly threw spinners as best as I recall. I fished the Au Sable River maybe 3-4 times and caught a few. I think that I actually was there for 10 months....? As soon as my dad's training was over, we came back to Tennessee. My brother was good at Hockey. He went back up there for high school and played at Northwood Academy. I've never been back.

Tek...post my pic of the shore caught laker....basically the willsborough area.some of,these spawning areas have been determined to be 5/ to 10,000 years old.they are ancient,from our perspective  , the issue with the champlain laker gene pool was and still is the lampreys.this is a whole completely different thread not really relevant to Tn other than mankind inadvertantely screwing up what the good Lord put in place. Closest thing i can see  in Tn is the damming of the tn river,...pretty much put the native walleye population on the knifes edge. Seems to me bass are king and the walleye is the redheaded stepchild.please feel free to correct me.but is there not a lot more money and publicity in bass tournaments ,...??

...placid....tourist heaven...overpriced food and waayyy to many urbans with the survival skills of a hamster :tongue:

Exactly kwk. Tourist trap. And Champlain...now you're talking. I nailed 100's of lakers in the Pork Kent area, south end of Valcour Island, arount the red buoy to the northeast of Crab Island, and also over by the rocks on the way to the ferry on Cumberland head. And yeah...lamprey marks on more than half them lakers! I have family in Wilsboro.

Once the lakers stop hitting by flat lining we hit the pike up by Kings Bay. Slam them. Then once we get sick of that, we start slaying the smallies and the largemouth are coming in...jiggin' time for some hawgs. 8.5 is my best LM in the Little Chazy and 6.5 is my best smallie not far from there on the VT side northeast across from Kings Bay.

I could go right now and get hybrid browns called seeforellen brown trout in the Saranac river not far from the mouth. Slow and low with a Panther Martin tipped with a worm. Working the edge of the pools near what used to be Millies' hole. Lose a lot of Panthers though. Average around 22-24 inches. Not worth it really.

Do you know pete casemento,runs the adirondack champlain guide service? Hes right on long pond.cut my chops working for him learned a lot.

No. My old best friend was Rob Lamoy. He's a guide too. Made the Classic a while back. We used to fish shoulder to shoulder for years.