TNKen

Broken----Again---Grrrrrr

You may recall that I am on ski patrol at Beech Mountain, NC and have volunteered there as a patroller for pushing 20 years.  I'm not bad on a pair of skis.  About 6 months ago, I elected to have both of my hips resurfaced because of arthritis and my desire to remain active.  Heck, the primary reason I scheduled the timing was for ski season this year.

We opened the Friday after thanksgiving.  I was a little out of kilter, because of the drastic change in geometry in my stance resulting from the hip surgery.  Basically my feet now point forward as opposed to outward like a duck as they have been for about the last 10 years or so.

Anyway, on my second run, things were starting to work well.  Was on a flat part of the hill and I was making a turn to the left at relatively slow speed to pull along side a group of fellow patrollers.  Had a ski edge run up under me, and I toppled over.  Landed squarely on the point of my femur and heard the pop.  Sled ride by my crew to the bottom, ambulance ride to the hospital, and a helicopter ride back to the hospital in South Carolina.  The femur popped near, but did not involve the resurfacing implant. 

Surgery on Sunday morning by a great team.  Out on Tuesday, and homebound for 6-8 weeks.  No weight bearing on the left leg.  Bumbling around in a wheelchair and have graduated to crutches.  Staples out today.

Both the orthopedic trauma surgeon and my personal doc said the implant had nothing to do with the break.  I just had an unlucky fall on exactly the wrong spot.

Get to ski next season.  Recon I'll be the dispatcher for the crew after Christmas when I get to start weight bearing. 

Oh yeah, my fishing buddy and I were going to fish the Striper Challenge January 5-6 on Lake Hartwell.  Fortunately they were nice enough to refund my entry fee.  Oh well, next year.

Ken

• Like 1

TNKen,  Things COULD be worse. Right after retirement from the FD & teaching Ladder safety for 20+ years, I had a STEP ladder crumble while working on my siding. Broke my arm in THREE places, Doc said not to  never try to play a banjo ,etc., then 2 heart attacks  & 2 rounds of cancer   later, I should play a tune for the doc! LOL.  I am still catching crappie (sometimes!) & playing music 3 times a week & getting bye. Things can always get worse but springtime is just around the corner & the crappie are going to jump in the boat!   dada  12-12-17   8:06 AM

• Like 1

One fall knocks you out of the things you enjoy the most. Skiing, fishing, and Christmas shopping. Yuck!!!

Heal up soon.  Those brown will wait for you.

2 hours ago, rtillett said:

One fall knocks you out of the things you enjoy the most. Skiing, fishing, and Christmas shopping. Yuck!!!

Heal up soon.  Those brown will wait for you.

FYI, they are wearing the big fish out at the Weir.

20 hours ago, TNKen said:

Yep, landed squarely on it.  Broke at the top, greater trochanter. 

Ouch! Get better soon, I'm scared to death of snow skiing........ and riding horses

Edited by rusty50576

Agreed on the horses.   This is the first time I've been hurt skiing in 40 years.  Guess I was saving up for a big one.

When the kids were growing up, I sold an HK machine gun to buy a horse.  Made a bunch of money on it, bought the horse.  Horse is now long gone, lost my tail on it.  Basically gave it away to get away from board and vet bills.  HK is now worth in excess of $40,000.  Grrrrrrr.

21 hours ago, TNKen said:

Agreed on the horses.   This is the first time I've been hurt skiing in 40 years.  Guess I was saving up for a big one.

When the kids were growing up, I sold an HK machine gun to buy a horse.  Made a bunch of money on it, bought the horse.  Horse is now long gone, lost my tail on it.  Basically gave it away to get away from board and vet bills.  HK is now worth in excess of $40,000.  Grrrrrrr.

That a tough lose lose situation. I have heard if you put a horse in a rubber room it would break its legs and hang itself somehow 

Edited by rusty50576

Rusty, Not true on the rubber room theory.  More likely to wait until the fellow that feeds and grooms him enters the room and then steps on his foot and bites him on the arm.  

4 hours ago, dloveday said:

Rusty, Not true on the rubber room theory.  More likely to wait until the fellow that feeds and grooms him enters the room and then steps on his foot and bites him on the arm.  

Hahahahaha!

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:35 PM, Troutgirl said:

Any break at or near the trochanter is a  bad break! I hope it heals well.

Thank you .  The hip resurfacings were a piece of cake compared to this.  Still waiting on my quad to start firing after 3 weeks.

Sucks to hear Ken. I hope you heal as quickly as need for it to be healed right. Gonna have to start riding an electric cart of you keep this up.