Sign in to follow this  
NukeFisher

Winter Fishing

Tried fishing 12/9 with only a few casts.  Not so much cold as it was windy.  Still cold though, haha.  What do y'all do in East TN until Spring in terms of fishing?  Where I am from it was all about the trout.  Any suggestions for hitting the water before Spring? 

I love my selected days of fishing all winter long. Striped Bass on the large reservoirs & Tennessee River mostly. I do very good.

Crappie and  float and fly smallmouth fishing are mostly what I catch in the winter.  You have to dress for the cold and wind and if you have the right clothing you need not be cold and uncomfortable. The fishing can be really good in the winter.  The striper guys often do real well in winter also. 

At my age, retired, don't have to wait for specific  days, I fish for crappie whenever the weather warms up enough to go. And I try for walleye going up river to spawn in February,  or so.  When the line freezes in the rod guides, I stay home or take my banjo & guitar & go pickin' & grinnin' at local "jams". As said, dress warm. I even take a heater along when weather threatens. dada 12-10-17  11:15 AM

I like to fish afternoons in winter. I will fish for crappie but I really don't get to fish as much in colder weather.  Busy time for us.  But the fishing can sometimes be very good.

Bass is my preferred prey as I just catch em and toss em back and enjoy the fight. But a good crappie supper is hard to beat.  

ecox- I been spying them shad where they were and caught me a striper.  I ain't fishing below a dam neither.

dloveday - That f&f stuff is a TN thing?  I love finesse tactics.  My bread and butter in fact.  Gonna have to set me up some of those bobbers.

dada - I used to love playing guitar.  Haven't for a while on account I can't sing.  Tried playing on a banjo and it is a whole different world.  I set my instrument down and leave it to the good guys.  I love a good string band.  Y'all got a fiddle?

Tubejig - What are you doing?  Making custom lures and fishing tournaments?

• Like 1

No. No one would want a custom lure I built--includung me LOL   Small friendly tournaments on occasion until  spring at least--then they all get unfriendly!!!!!

Sales.   Archery mostly.  ALX Rods--check them out--good stuff.   Winter work means more time in spring.  Rep a few knife lines. Wife owns an agency and makes me work for my supper LOL

Tubejig - You shouldn't doubt yourself about making a lure or two.  It is fun and extremely satisfying to catch a fish on one.  In regards to those tournament guys they need to relax.  I fish to find peace not to compete but I suppose it is kind of neat to catch bigger/more fish than someone else.  Those ALX rods seem very nice.  Are they custom Hydra blanks?  It won't be for a while but eventually I need a quality medium heavy rod and the no scrim, moderate fast action type of thing is very appealing.  You're in sales though so I bet them ALX rods are the best thing ever, haha.

dave57 - I reckon anywhere I catch skippies and find them big gizzard shad would be a great place for cats.  I heard they spawn in the fall so there should be a lot going on during Winter.  My catfish rig is broke though and I need to fix it. 

HFF, Banjo & Guitar only. Had a fiddle & mandolin & gave them away.   dada 12-12-17  8:09 AM

10 hours ago, HereFishyFishyFishy said:

Tubejig - You shouldn't doubt yourself about making a lure or two.  It is fun and extremely satisfying to catch a fish on one.  In regards to those tournament guys they need to relax.  I fish to find peace not to compete but I suppose it is kind of neat to catch bigger/more fish than someone else.  Those ALX rods seem very nice.  Are they custom Hydra blanks?  It won't be for a while but eventually I need a quality medium heavy rod and the no scrim, moderate fast action type of thing is very appealing.  You're in sales though so I bet them ALX rods are the best thing ever, haha.

dave57 - I reckon anywhere I catch skippies and find them big gizzard shad would be a great place for cats.  I heard they spawn in the fall so there should be a lot going on during Winter.  My catfish rig is broke though and I need to fix it. 

Catfish spawn in June/july

• Like 1

No time for making stuff.  Impatient too.  ALX Rods are Hydra Blanks and are very well made.

Best rods are the ones you like. Regardless of price.  If you like one and you use it a lot it's probably the best.

My favorite crappie combo didn't cost $39 full retail. But I like it.

I just fish for fun too. Tournaments are fun but I don't get my bloomers in a wad over that stuff

• Like 1

rusty - That is sort of what I thought but am not experienced with catfish.  I was also told that in East Tennessee there is a second shad spawn in the Fall.  I wonder if it is a mix up of terms or what. However it is, with the  shad spread out more as well as the sunfish schooling up (at least were) it would seem something would be feeding on them.  Striper and catfish is what I figured. 

Tubejig - That Shakespeare Synergy undercast combo I've had for a while is a beast.  It could take a bullet.  $20 dollars but they don't make the same one anymore.  I absolutely agree that the best rods are the ones you like.  I guess with fishing equipment I am similar to one of those car guys who performs every possible tweak to increase performance even if it is only an increase of 2 HP. About those ALX rods though I haven't heard any significant complaints.  

18 minutes ago, HereFishyFishyFishy said:

rusty - That is sort of what I thought but am not experienced with catfish.  I was also told that in East Tennessee there is a second shad spawn in the Fall.  I wonder if it is a mix up of terms or what. However it is, with the  shad spread out more as well as the sunfish schooling up (at least were) it would seem something would be feeding on them.  Striper and catfish is what I figured. 

Tubejig - That Shakespeare Synergy undercast combo I've had for a while is a beast.  It could take a bullet.  $20 dollars but they don't make the same one anymore.  I absolutely agree that the best rods are the ones you like.  I guess with fishing equipment I am similar to one of those car guys who performs every possible tweak to increase performance even if it is only an increase of 2 HP. About those ALX rods though I haven't heard any significant complaints.  

There can be two shad spawns in warm years. Fishing during a spawn is my least favorite (for bass) but a shad spawn can be fun! 

Fished Norris Saturday 12/16 from 8:30 to 4.  We had 8 bass and found them pretty shallow.  Water temp was 49.6 to start and warmed to 51.2 by afternoon.  33 Bridge area.  Just good to get out and wet a line. 

• Like 1