You might want to try the largest minnows available, on the bottom, using a 3/8 oz feathered green gig.  dada  11-8-17  7:14 PM

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 2:08 PM, Chargerjim said:

I am going fishing Lake Tellico on Friday. Any ideas or thoughts on getting Walleye?

Cross your fingers and pray. 

I found catching Walleye in East Tn. is not the same as northern states or in Canada.  Catching them here is very hit and miss.  It might be fishing pressure or fewer numbers. It may also be a water movement thing. ie. generating water or not, how much flow etc.  I wish I could find a crystal ball with proper techniques for walleye fishing around here.

Good luck Friday,  C Jim

1 hour ago, gd77punk said:

Something I've heard time and again is the walleye native to this area are all but extinct. Kentucky is doing work to reintroduce them but I couldn't find much of anything about them in Tennessee 

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/outdoors/2015/12/26/southern-walleye-making-comeback-kentucky/77920056/

Interesting read, I didn't realize

george Clooney fished for walleye!!! Where I fish in Alabama about 100 miles north of mobile there are some southern strain walleye (so they say). Tons of paddlefish down there too

• Like 1

As said before, the upper Clinch River had plenty of walleye maybe 20 years ago, near the time when the Tennessee legistlators passed a law against TWRA  stocking certain fish for three years because of the  complaints from bass, walleye, crappie & bluegill fishermen.  After meetings in Clinton, Tn.,  TWRA CEO, Bill Reeves,  gave us a report that said " Since your group can't give a better plan, WE are going to stock 3.7  more per acre of Norris (& Cherokee)"   Now, even TWRA says "there are no more river-straine walleye in the Clinch". But, CHEER UP fishermen, there are a few fishermen who say that they now catch a few 'eyes there, & I just recently saw a large school of walleyes on Douglas with my underwater camera.  Now if I could only make 'em bite!     dada 11-10-17   1:54 PM

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 12:02 PM, rusty50576 said:

Interesting read, I didn't realize

george Clooney fished for walleye!!! Where I fish in Alabama about 100 miles north of mobile there are some southern strain walleye (so they say). Tons of paddlefish down there too

Makes sense. Clooney is from Lexington. According to a notoriously unreliable website....

The walleye and sauger are here, you just have to locate them. Best practices to use are fishing tailwaters below dams. Use jigs that would catch crappie but maybe a tad bigger. Instead of trying to keep the jig suspended like you would for crappie, bounce it on the bottom like you would for bass. Anything that looks like a minnow in white or chartreuse is effective. I recommend douglas lake, frenxh broad river, and Tennessee river areas. They stay deep unless feeding at night where they will aproach the bank to feed. At night they act just like bass feeding close to shore lines. Find an area with a flat to shore but a good steep drop off to atleast 20 feet on out.

I'm assuming you can catch walleye like we catch sauger (or try to catch sauger, a year to year thing).  We use a heavy hair jig with a stinger hook using either a minnow on the jig hook, or a 3" sassy shad which I would normally use.  Like above, we bounce them on the bottom trying to find the correct depth (20 - 50 ft).  In Kentucky Lake, we look for hard bottoms(majority of river bed is mud) which usually mean mussels, which attract drum.  The sauger feed on the drum fry.  The old adage in West Tennessee is that if it's spitting snow and you have a north wind blowing a gale, the sauger will be biting.

I read that Kentucky was sharing the Southern Walleyes with other states, including Tennessee, on the North Carolina Anglers Forum. I'd really like to see 20+ pound Walleyes again. I didn't know it at the time, when I was a kid in the 60's, that the Walleye fishing was crashing hard. I used to shop at Gateway Sporting Goods on Chapman Highway. There were huge Walleyes on their walls. There were two that were over 20 pounds. The biggest one was over 22 pounds and was around 40". I wanted to catch a big Wally so much. I never caught a single Walleye till the 70's when I caught some, none large, in Fontana Lake. The Walleye in Fontana are the Southern Strain. The Walleye in Chilhowee Lake before the draw-down were the Southern Strain. They came from Fontana courtesy of locals straight from Fontana in their live wells. The stocked Walleye from Tellico Lake most certainly entered Chilhowee Lake when the gates were wide open during the draw-down.