gd77punk

What happens when you hold a bass

Good post, 77. As a fish-stocker years ago stocking rainbow, I was informed NOT TO HOLD BY THE BODY! To do so would remove the protective "slime" & the fish would die. Sure enough, those that I dropped while transferring to the lake & picked up around the body & tossed in the water, did die within 3 days. Later on, while tx fishing, I learned to use the lower jaw on fish EXCEPT those that had TEETH.  dada  11-8-17   8:03 AM

4 hours ago, rusty50576 said:

No one is ever concerned with the puncture wounds from the hook??? Are bass reaching Hindu cow status?

Some people are concerned with that and they're called peta. Don't get me started on them. 

However if your intention is to release to fight another day, best to give them every chance possible.

4 hours ago, gd77punk said:

Some people are concerned with that and they're called peta. Don't get me started on them. 

However if your intention is to release to fight another day, best to give them every chance possible.

True. I try not to hurt them but you gotta grab em somehow. Every now and then you catch one so mean you feel like you will be the one injured, those are my favorites. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 6:44 PM, rusty50576 said:

True. I try not to hurt them but you gotta grab em somehow. Every now and then you catch one so mean you feel like you will be the one injured, those are my favorites. 

I do like the tailwalkers myself. 

Catfish are hardy & survive almost anything. Like said, they have sharp spines that HURT when you grab them wrong, so grab safely!            Trout die when grabbed wrong.   dada  11-27-17  8:13 AM

I try and treat any fish I catch with respect. (They were good enough to get on my line) Before they came up with lip grippers I'd wet my fingers or hands depending on the fish or use a rubberize net.

Bass are always held vertically to dehook or If I want a photo,again wet my hand and support the body as I raise to horizontal take the picture than ease back down to vertical and slip back in water.

Yeah...I know as a kid they all suffered some abuse,but eventually I realized what I was doing and stopped.I taught my children the right way from the start,and their children too.If it's got teeth or big spines/fins It's all mine so they don't have to take a chance with getting hurt.I make sure they watch how I go about handling them so when I'm not around they can take charge and get it done.

People Eating Tasty Animals...enough foolishness,a very large bass over 5 lbs say, that is a lot of stress and weight on the jaw  cartiledege.wet hands well, hold the tail and jaw quick pic...back she goes.summer even more important,speed.