TNRoostertail

Anyone Catching Perch

Troutgirl got some up on chilhowee the other day, had another friend send me a pic of one yesterday. Apparently they are starting to bite,   I used to get them around the area you trolled for walleye on tellico when I was a youngster 

Edited by rusty50576

Melton Hill has quite a few. Find the right area & you can "load up" on them. I usually put in at Bull Run Park & go under the RR bridge to the main lake & go up towards the steam plant & fish on the bottom with minnows in 16-22 ft of water.  dada 11-6-17  8:15 AM

Yes, the ones with the vertical dark stripes. A 12 incher is considered a "JUMBO",  easy to clean, almost as tasty as crappie.  dada 11-7-17  7:49 AM

I picked up 2 Perch on plugs trolling Chilhowee last Thursday. Late in the day I lost my crawler 3 times on my Wormburner crawler harness. It's hooks are too big for Perch. I caught a Rainbow on it and it was my hope I'd get a Walleye on it. It's probable that it was Perch that got my crawlers. If I'd of been using a tiny spoon or Flatfish with a piece of crawler, I might have caught a few more...??? On Chilhowee, the big Perch that sit in the channel are nearly always grouped a half-mile up or downstream from the Abrams Creek Bridge.

I let the little one go. I ate the bigger one that was 15" and 1.75 pounds.

CHILHOWEE LAKE 2 NOV. 2017 Rainbows and Big PERCH 023.JPG

CHILHOWEE LAKE 2 NOV. 2017 Rainbows and Big PERCH 025.JPG

• Like 1

Its great to know there are yellow perch here. It sounds like trolling the channels might be the way to go. Do you tend to use bottom bouncers or just jigs or sinkers?

1 hour ago, Chargerjim said:

Its great to know there are yellow perch here. It sounds like trolling the channels might be the way to go. Do you tend to use bottom bouncers or just jigs or sinkers?

I used to use bottom bouncers. Now I use leadcore line. When I used bottom bouncers, my favorite set-up was the smallest size Flatfish 4 feet behind the 3-way swivel. The smallest Flatfish is about an inch long and the single treble hook on the bottom is Perch size. I'd put about a quarter of a crawler on the tiny treble. The Flatfish floats and rides above the sinker ahead of the swivel and dropped weight.

I've picked up plenty of Perch on Kokanee Hoochies with a wiggle lip and a little piece of crawler whilst targeting Rainbows. I also get some Perch and Walleyes on a crawler behind cowbells which is mainly for Trout.

Edited by Troutgirl
  • Like 1

Hey guys if I was bank fishing up around the steam plant on melton for perch would the old edgemoore bridge be a good spot or would the solway area be better? Still havent got the boat ready. Head cracked on my truck so all my boat money is going to it lol. I honestly like bank fishing though. I saw 2 areas close to the bull run plant. The old edgemoore bridge is right across from it and just sout of that is the solway fishing peer.

Rooster - Just information that may or may not be helpful.  I have fished at Solway a few times from the pier and there are a couple bank spots at the park that can be fished from.  The milfoil is very thick there along the entire bank leading almost to the end of the pier.  This may or may not be an issue.  Another location next to Solway is the Edgemore boat ramp area but the milfoil is thick there as well.  The boat ramp area is along the main channel.  Depending on where you are coming from there is a location I have been meaning to check out that may or may not be open for access but is TVA undeveloped land at the end of Tobby Hollow Lane/Road off New Henderson.  Directly down stream from the steam plant and across from Haw Ridge.  I hope this helps. 

I see the area your talking about off of Toby hollow rd. Looks like there is a gravel area where I could park. Would it be legal to fish from the bank there? Looks like it would be if its TWRA owned and I have a TWRA fishing license.

There's milfoil all over the top end of Fort Loudoun. I don't know if the leaves are dead yet but they're mostly still attached. There's more of it out there than you think. When TVA starts lowering the water, it;s readily visible like it was today at my sister's house off Alcoa Highway. When the water goes all the way down and the leaves are gone, the geese eat the live roots when there's little for them to eat in the dead of winter. Some of the bigger milfoil banks stay submerged all winter. I don't know how much it dies back...??? The geese are slowing down the return of the milfoil. It's not as thick as before they chemically attacked it. Maybe it's headed back that way, gradually. That's what it seems like it's doing. It seems a bit thicker every year lately.

Around Bull Run Park and up river from the steam plant it is thick as of 2 days ago.  Picked it off my hooks more than once using single hooks on rooster tails and spoons fished close to the surface.  Green if that means anything.  Fishing at Solway from the pier towards the opposite bank was never an issue nor at the boat ramp down the road away from the bank. 

2 hours ago, TNRoostertail said:

I see the area your talking about off of Toby hollow rd. Looks like there is a gravel area where I could park. Would it be legal to fish from the bank there? Looks like it would be if its TWRA owned and I have a TWRA fishing license.

TVA undeveloped land is federal property open to the public but subject to certain state regulations.  It is not private property so you do require a fishing license.  TWRA does not own the property one bit but can enforce its regulations in regards to fish and game.  Check out TVA undeveloped land usage and maps and compare it with Knox County and Anderson County property tax parcel information.  There is also information for Campbell County and Blount County.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:12 AM, TNRoostertail said:

Thx for the info HFFF, I will prob try the boat ramp area then as it is closer to the main channel.

NP.  Checked out the area at towards the TVA land.  RR crossing is blocked by a locked gate.  No signs were posted though.  Might not be the best spot for a stranger to leave a parked vehicle.  There is a lot for sale there though next to one of the many abandoned and overgrown houses.  Property right by the lake? Heck yeah! 

Edited by HereFishyFishyFishy

Back to Melton Hill for yellow perch today (out from the steam plant) with Gary W.'s boat. After only 3 crappie at Douglas on 2=1=17, we decided the Melton trip would be better!  dada 2-2-17   7:12 AM

Rooster - I would say maybe not check out the area off Toby Hollow.  It is right past the water treatment plant, along the power lines, where the rail road tracks lead to the steam plant right across from ORNL pretty much.

Myself, I am fixing to check out Carbide (Clark Center).  Haven't been there for a while but it seems like a good area.  Not sure if the distance from the steam plant is a major factor.  That whole chunk below it is accessible too (around the green trail marker on the map) from what I understand.  Furthermore it isn't but a hop and a skip from Solway/Edgemore.  If you ain't been there just for general bank fishing you might ought to check it out.