We hand tie a little jig, kind of like a crappie jig.  Flashy materials.  Put two or three on the line, weight the end.  Reel, jerk, reel, jerk.  If you aren't getting success, let it hit the bottom and work from there.

Catching is fun, keeping them alive to use for bait is a bitch.

Keeping Skippies alive is tough.  With a standard 50 gallon tank, you can keep 3-4 alive for a couple of hours.  Biggest thing you can do, in my opinion, is add oxygen.

I went to a 100 gallon Mel's tank, with a 1,000 gph pump, and added oxygen. We can keep 8 or so alive, healthy and fishable for 6 hours or so.  I kept 5 overnight, but they weren't in great shape next morning.   

I've used a length of 10lb mono with a 1/4 jig head tied to the bottom using a palomar knot and a couple lighter jig heads maybe a foot apart on small dropper loops with a bit of line left to attach and remove a few times.  I color the jig heads silver or gold with a marker and paint them with glitter nail polish and use whatever kind of pan fish grub they are into.  There are usually a couple with my tackle that can be tied on real quick instead of having to do the whole thing right there. 

When we used to fish below Pickwick Dam for stripers, we would rig a string of tiny (#12?) gold treble hook (a half dozen or more) and cast with a light spinning outfit.  There's a name for this type rig, but I can't remember it.  Like above, you jerk it a lot.  Don't catch a lot more than you can use immediately unless you have one of the special tanks.  They die quick.

12 hours ago, tnanney said:

When we used to fish below Pickwick Dam for stripers, we would rig a string of tiny (#12?) gold treble hook (a half dozen or more) and cast with a light spinning outfit.  There's a name for this type rig, but I can't remember it.  Like above, you jerk it a lot.  Don't catch a lot more than you can use immediately unless you have one of the special tanks.  They die quick.

Sabiki rigs...

we catch them pretty good below Cordell Hull dam using those blue fox inline spinner baits you can buy at walmart.

Never really try keeping them alive though, we always cut them up to be used a cut bait for catfish.