dada

Leadville/Rankin

Going to try for walleye with Charger 1 on Friday, but never fished that area. Any suggestions would be helpful.  dada  9-13-17  10:15 AM

I usually catch them further upstream but they will hit grubs swimbaits and crankbais and Texas rigs. I have never targeted them but always seem to get one or two upriver. Just carry on like you are bass fishing and a couple will show up

• Like 1

Up near the Rankin Bridge, the guys that troll spinners/nightcrawlers seem to do the best.  Trolling crank baits also work.  Below the Rankin Bridge in the spring we catch them on silver or white and chartrues rapalas anchored and casting.  Down closer to Leadvale we have caught more on crank baits than anything else.  Do not know if they have been catching lately but it is worth a try.  

• Like 1

Saw a gal, last Thursday, that was fishing from the ramp area at Leadvale. She had a really nice eye on a stringer. Was using blue grub.   I bass fish up there a lot and see the peeps catching walleye and crappie on nightcrawler, minnows and inline spinners. Sometime we catch em on shad colored cranks.

There is some drum up there longer than a poor man's life. They crush a rattle trap. But so will   

the eyeballers, or at least they do sometimes. The area under the marker bouys seem very popular

Be careful as the water is being drawn down and some places will eat a prop. 

Thanks guys. I used to catch them on Norris at night  with redfins, then in the river out from Lone Mtn on large minnow & 3/8 oz flies. Time to try as you fellas suggested at Leadville. I will post if------  dada 9-13-17  8:50 PM

TNRooster,  I live in Hall's & have NOT fished Norris in YEARS! Some fishermen like the overstocking of Rockfish by TWRA over the years, gives them THEIR type of fish, but it destroyed mine. The walleye & crappie have pretty much went by the wayside, but sometimes,  a few are caught around Point 19 at 3 AM or so by a few lucky fishermen. I once fished out of Lone Mtn  dock for crappie, then walleye, but TWRA says there are no River walleye left there & very few crappie.  dada   10-15-17  5:06 PM

• Sad 1

Yeah its sad. I dont kill them when I catch them but they sure make me mad (rockfish). Looks like they would know that anything that has a mouth big enough for a basketball and isnt worth eating would eat all the other fish. Im going to try leadville week after next. My boat is still getting carpeted and I want to put on my new jack plate. Its sad because Norris is so clean and beautiful and close to my house lol. Oh well I know Douglas at least fished it for 10 years straight. I want to try melton hill dam too. Heard they are starting to bite there. Holler at me dada we will go sometime. Im off mon - wed.

Edited by TNRoostertail
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well I cant stand it. I work thursday-sunday graveyard shift and this is my day off so im going fishing lol. I will be at the rankin leadville boat ramp if anyone else was thinking of going. Im going to try for the midnight and 5 am bites. I havent bank fished in years lol. I bet it will be fun.

TNRoostertail, Since you are new to this site,  your info doesn't give much to meet up with others here. Note that you can send a personal message to anyone here & they can respond. I decided to go fishing to Inspiration Point -Douglas today alone, because it was later when I made plans last night. Most of my fishing partners have  been met from here but it is hard to get together too late in the day . A picture & more info would be helpful. Have fun at Rankin.    dada 10-17-17  6:06 AM

We caught several sauger last night but they were all small and we didnt keep any. The way it seemed to me was I just couldnt get a presentation out far enough were the big fish probably were holding. We had the best luck throwing shad colored crank baits. I added more to my profile dada. I also posted info in the new fishing partner forum. 

We casted the bank from the launch ramp into the cove about 100 yards. From what I know (and its very little) sauger and walleye like to sit outside creekmouths and then they roll in as a school and feed hard core for abiut 15 minutes. There is a creek running out there so I though that was the best plan of attack. I say we caught a lot but only 8. I count that as a lot this time of year lol. I didnt get there in time for the midnight bite. Boat will be done next week and I am going to put a new jackplate on. Then I will have an extra seat every once in a while as my son was with me last night now he has sauger fever lol. But I can put 3 on my boat. Oh an we were throwing the smaller 3" shad raps in shad and fire tiger.

Edited by TNRoostertail

tnroostertail thanks for sharing on your sauger expedition. like someone else said, 8 in a trip is better action than most of us get.  i love walleye fishing myself and have heard so much about leadville/rankin, but have personally never gone up there.  fishing shallow areas of an unfamiliar area is conducive to boat destruction.

i've never considered going bank fishing in leadville.  hummm

just a quick thanks to dada for taking me to his honey hole this morning. if one of us was Jesus, we could have fed 40 people with the 2 inch blue gill we brought to the boat today. 

truth be told it was a tough day, starting with the dense early am fog. didn't lift till just before 10. dada had the harness on the alligator rig so tight it was hindering my casting ability. even though we were trolling. that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

thanks for a fun morning Dave

No problemo ffm, I like to share spots because life is too short to spend all day not catching anything lol. Here is what we were catching the other night, not big enough to keep. Honestly half of them were like this one, a small walleye, the rest were 2 year old sauger just shy of 14"  Oh and my son does have big hands lol he is holding the fish.1017170143.jpg

Edited by TNRoostertail
  • Like 2

Great post, TNRoostertail. Hope the fishing keeps your son from the drug scene. It usually helps.   dada 10-19-17  8:20 AM

Great exchange. And good posts Roostertail. Glad to hear about your son and know about you spending that time together.  

On 2/8/2018 at 3:37 PM, TNRoostertail said:

Well heard they are hitting around this area. Going to try an do some recon on it.

Any luck lately. Been wanting to get out and try for a few. 

Fisher,  Charger 1 reported at 10:30 this AM that there were 12  rigs at Walters Bridge, Water was swift & murkey & did not see anyone catch any while he was viewing the area.  WE ARE STILL GOING TOMMORROW THERE!   dada 2-18-18  11AM