KETCHMO

French Broad Crankbait Bassin Saturday 8/5/17

Don't get to fish or post here as much as I would like so I'll make this as long and boring as possible.

Just put a flat aluminum floor in the jon boat & was itching to try it out so launched Saturday @ the riverside ramp in Knoxville. Intent was to wind up fishing for smallmouth on the shoals above the John Sevier bridge. Slowly made my way there stopping here & there to hit some good looking spots with no luck. Got to the shoals & fished to the right, left & middle throwing spinnerbaits, chatterbaits & swimming plastics. Surface temp was around 75, flow was minimal with light winds. Got a few hits on spinnerbaits but never got anything to the boat.

There's a good pool, 10' - 15' deep, below the shoals and shad were active in several places. Got to thinking... just painted up some crankbaits to try later on Cherokee so why not.

The one on the left nothing, the little one on the top right yielded one largemouth hit after another, lots of fun but they all came unstuck usually in mid air, junk hooks & too small. Also the St. Croix rod just didn't have enough backbone. Excuses, excuses.

However, the one on the bottom right is something asked for by a friend who swears by it on Cherokee, You know I'm not gonna make just one. It has more chartreuse sides than the picture shows with a real blood red throat & yellow belly, super sharp size 4 nickle hooks (never lost another one).

Very painful but I had to call him later & tell him he was right.

Cranking pretty fast with 8:1 reel, no hits slow cranking.

On the way out I saw some blow ups just above the bridge. Well, gotta make "one more cast". It's on, my biggest largemouth lately. Thought I'd just sled him across the water like the pros but nope especially when he saw the boat. He dug in & headed for the bottom like a smallmouth. Using a 10 pound co-polymer kinda worried me but finally got him in the boat. Had a GoPro mounted on the boat, a Sony Handycam & a phone but was too excited to think about taking pictures. You do believe me, right?

If you're headed up river, there's a small pocket just above the right bridge pier. Try it, you'll like it. I have no secret honey holes & if I catch em you'll know where just may be a while.

BTW, the new floor is great. No more making an old man look like an idiot tripping across those ribs.

lures.thumb.jpg.2125ef0321a67db2503bb3618f5e2e69.jpg

Edited by KETCHMO
  • Like 3

Do u sell those? They are nice looking baits for sure. I used some bandit crankbaits this weekend and discovered i really like using them. Gonna stock up on em.  That chartreuse one is sweet!

I know both those spots you described, very accurate description as I fish up there several nights a week (when I'm not on the holston). Thanks for the post nice looking lures. How big was the largemouth you got?

1 hour ago, rusty50576 said:

I know both those spots you described, very accurate description as I fish up there several nights a week (when I'm not on the holston). Thanks for the post nice looking lures. How big was the largemouth you got?

Oh, he was huge. Really about 3 1/2 & healthy.