Sign in to follow this  
NukeFisher

Melton Hill Monster

A fellow I know quite well and have fished with often has spoken about the Melton Hill Monster on occasion.  He has lived in the area for a while around East TN and posted these videos online a while back.  I seen the same activity not long ago when the cold water was coming through and the fish were crowded in the rowing area even though it was many years past the video date.  You all got any ideas?  The folks I have talked to as well as the fellow who recorded the video say it maybe a Sturgeon, Paddle Fish, Pike, or Musky.  I myself think Musky.  Any ideas?  We are really trying to find out. 

Likely a musky but also could be a huge striped bass. I have caught both species right in that area.

I thought maybe a striped bass but he swears by its size, being very long, and describes it like a shark.  Stands by the length and I have known the guy my whole life and he doesn't make this kind of thing up although he does suck at estimating range.  That is how the idea of possibly a sturgeon came up.  I don't think it was a form of cormorant fishing or are you messing with me, Techno?  Ecox, I am grateful for the input.  I am working an idea out for a bass type lure or maybe trout.  I have watched how the small bass behave at the surface away from shore and how the bigger ones (stil small) behave at the bank.  Also because of the trout I saw.  Additionally:  Enough is enough!  I am tired of these %^*^%* snakes on this #$%#$%$ lake!  Toss out something like a water snake!  I have also seen multiple people, or maybe the same person (?) fly fishing in the area.  I wonder if that has to do with the fish holding to the surface when the cold water comes in or maybe someone just practicing, haha. 

I have caught striped bass over 50 inch & musky almost 50 inch close by.

Excellent.  I am focusing on shallow, very shallow diving, slow and natural presentations close to the size, motion, and appearance of the bass.  The snake and trout idea is more novel or frivolous more or less.  Those big fish go there to target something specific.  I am not familiar with striper feeding on bass but have heard people use trout and skipjack.  I do not use live bait but am not afraid to present something to imitate it.  I have seen some big ones breaching and seriously thought they were stripers.  Too big to be black bass and most certainly not catfish or carp.  I watch the carp a lot.  It is really cool to see so much activity in places like that.  It is not the creeks, rivers, and ponds I am used to.  Musky or striper, I have goals.  Thank you for the input.