tHE NEW RAMP IS CLOSE TO BENG BUILT &  WAS TOLD THAT IT S FOR THE DISABLED. ALSO, THE NEW BRIDGE IS NEARING COMPLETION. GREAT!  BUT ALSO NOTE THAT THE BUZZARDS HAVE TAKEN OVER AROUD THERE, SO TRY TO PROTECT YOUR VEHICLES.  AS SAID, THEY WILL BE THERE AS LONG AS THE SUMMER TXS ARE BEING HELD & THE DEAD FISH ARE THERE. TRY TO PARK AWAY FROM THE DOCKS & RIVER BANK., OTHERWISE, YOUR RIG WILL BE --------.  dada 7-8-17  8:06 AM

• Like 2

My wife and I walked down to the new dock a couple of weeks ago.  We were very impressed.  Plenty of elbow room with comfortable chairs.  A great place to sit and relax and enjoy the lake views for a while.   The dock feels almost too nice to fish from.  :)  But I could not resist, tried vertical jigging for a while but no bites.

Kudos to the city of Dandridge and whoever else is responsible for making that project happen.

2 hours ago, Graffy said:

My wife and I walked down to the new dock a couple of weeks ago.  We were very impressed.  Plenty of elbow room with comfortable chairs.  A great place to sit and relax and enjoy the lake views for a while.   The dock feels almost too nice to fish from.  :)  But I could not resist, tried vertical jigging for a while but no bites.

Kudos to the city of Dandridge and whoever else is responsible for making that project happen.

Yes,the ramp and dock is very nice! The dock does holds some crappie! 

It's gonna get nicer I'm told.  Gonna add some walking tracks later.  After bridge is complete and the ramp is widened, it's gonna be nice for folks to enjoy the lake,

City of Dandridge, Tourism and state all have a part in it. TVA is likely gonna have control of ramp extension.

Federal, state and local taxes going for a good cause. 

Cooler than the other side of the pillow!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 10:53 AM, Tubejig said:

Cooler than the other side of the pillow!

Love that one!

12-9-18- As of today,  the bridge will (eventually )  have  another set of lanes. The crossbeams are in place.  The additional  parking spaces have been made up on the hill & the new dock has been fortified from wave action. Be advised that parking is being enforced!!!! I got a warning for parking on the grassy area west  of the walkway to the dock when a TX filled the parking lot.  Been parking there for years-  BUT NO MORE.  Tho it is patrolled , my  1/2: hitch pin was stolen one day while parked there. My  lock on the ball may have saved me from losing my trailer, as the short chains kept the insert from being removed.  The $10 for a pin lock is well worth it!      dada  8:45 AM

Sorry to burst your bridge bubble.  The several million dollar additional lanes to the bridge are solely for a walking path and a bicycle path from Dandridge to the Point.  Such a waste of millions of taxpayer dollars.  Who benefits, the city of Dandridge who gets a cut of the profits of the Point, and the private owners of the Point. Taxpayers get the shaft. By the way, the Point is on public TVA land leased to the City of Dandridge.  Another case where public land goes to making money for private individuals.

• Like 2

Lot of leased property and access on TVA waterways, including Douglas. Every marina comes to mind as leased and every private ramp/dock pays a fee.

A tag is supposed to be on each dock with TVA number.

An excise tax is built into every purchase of hunting and fishing gear plus the fee for fishing/hunting license. This is where "free ramps" come from. Stocking programs as well.

Nothing new about TVA leasing out property.  I'm not a lawyer but it's perfectly legal.  Some lakes have very little development and some have a great deal. I do not know laws and regulations but it is what it is.

I was told recently by a city official that walking tracks will be built  along the water. Also was told widening the launch ramp at Dandridge would be in the future.  Guess the wheels of govt. turn slowly.

I do not think taxpayers are getting the "shaft". I like the new fishing dock, the new bridge and look forward to the project being complete.  Loads of tourism dollars hopefully mean a new restaurant or two.

Lots of folks using the new dock. Some folks with mobility issues, some folks that can't afford a boat, old dudes like me tying up to dock and taking my time getting out of water, some couples taking an evening stroll enjoying the lake and all benefit from progress being made. It's nice for our communities. 

Yes, I do think we pay way to many taxes but I'd rather the money be spent on helping the public enjoy our resources as opposed to sending it overseas or overpaying elected officials.  

My 2 cents and I'll get off my soap box now LOL

• Like 2

The new dock and extra parking are great. What I’m looking forward to is a few hundred or so more kayakers splashing around in front of the launch ramp for 10 minuets, like 3 year olds in a bathtub,  while 6-7 boats wait for them to get out of the way so they can approach and load. Now, off my soap box, lol.

• Like 1

Dandridge leases the land from TVA for nothing, then re-leases it to the Point for percentage of the profits.  Nothing goes to TVA. It is legal but with so little accessible public land on Douglas ever acre turned over to private hurts.

The new parking area was built as mitigation to TWRA for the bridge company use of the area for construction and for them taking some of the land leased to TWRA at the entrance to the ramp. Money for building the ramps and maintaining them comes from boating registration fees paid to TWRA. Excise taxes on hunting and fishing gear are not used for the boating access program. 

Douglas is different than all the other TVA lakes. TVA bought very little land when they flooded it, only bought the right to flood it. Most TVA lakes have tens of thousand of acres of public land around them.  Douglas only has 5 hundred or so acres, with 90% of that either the big island out of shady grove dock, Henderson Island Refuge,  or the flooded area at Ranking Bottoms.  Every acre lost on Douglas hurts.  What little accessible public land there is on Douglas should remain open for public use not private development.  

My soapbox just busted also.

• Like 1

After reflection I would like to withdraw one word in my post.  Adding the walking path and bicycle path to the bridge is not a "waste".  It will provide a benefit.   When government takes tax money from you for a purpose, in this case the State,  it should be used for that purpose.  In this case they taxed motor fuel to maintain and improve roads and bridges.  I should have used "inappropriate'.  If the State had appropriated money from the general fund to fund that part of the bridge then it would have been appropriate, but they didn't.

Tubejig is correct.  I should have added the Wallop-Breaux Funds.  Since boaters pay federal  and state gas tax when they fill up, Wallop-Breaux amended the Sport Fish Act to take a small percentage of federal  motor vehicle gas tax collected at the pump each year to be allocated back to the states based on the number of boats they have registered.  Its part of what funds Tennessee's boating program.  Excise tax (10%) on fishing and hunting gear funds State Wildlife and Fisheries programs. Excise tax on ammo funds Tennessee's  Hunter Safety Program and other shooting programs like public shooting ranges.

There is the same Federal  program for off-road vehicle gas tax collected.  It funds a lot of the cost of the North Cumberland WMA which manages the land to allow ORV use.  Probably a lot more information than you wanted to know. 

I've worked in the hunting/fishing/marine category of business for several years.

Remember very well when Ray Scott, B.A.S.S. fame, advocated for the clean water act and the 1st Bush signed into law.  At this time there was much discussion concerning these taxes. I'm getting a bit old and Google has replaced my memory LOL

Most folks don't know , nor care I suppose, about these taxes.  

I'm for people benefiting from taxes and against waste and abuse of tax funds.