Troutgirl

East Tennessee Lakers & Trout Part 2, 2017

15 hours ago, inthebox30lbs said:

WTG!!!! what were the water temps and how deep were they coming.  Want to try that lake in the near future

The surface water was 60. If it was less than that at the top end I didn't notice. It didn't look like they were generating hard at the Calderwood Powerhouse when I was at the old ferry dock taking a break. The ferry is within a mile of the powerhouse. It probably was colder there. This time of year it will be in the mid 50's just a few feet down. Even in the summer, the cold water is just 5-8 feet down in the lower lake. You don't have to fish spoons and plugs deep in Chilhowee any time of year. The only things I fish deeper are Hoochies, Walleye crawler rigs, and Cowbells with crawlers or minnows behind them. I put plugs on planar boards on the sides and a pair of lines behind the boat. Most of the plugs I fish run 4-8 feet. That's the strike zone for baitfish in Chilhowee. Most of the bait stays just above the cold zone.

I don't always use my downrigger at Chilhowee. I used it Thursday most of the day. I never set it deeper than 18 feet. I had a spoon on it for a couple of hours and got only one strike on it that was little....maybe a Perch or little Bass...? That was about 12 feet down. I ran hoochies and cowbells at 15-18 feet. Wiggle hoochies are a great lure for Chilhowee. I put about an inch of crawler on 'em for scent. The only thing I caught on a hoochie this trip was a little Smallmouth.

Chilhowee is shallow. Light bounces off the botton for extra illumination. The fish are very boat shy. I like my lines long. I put 80-100 feet of leader on my leadcore lines. I want the lure 200-220 feet behind the boat and 20-25 feet down at most. Chilhowee has gotten even shallower in places thanks to the draw-down. The river seems to have shifted the silt. It's now shallower at the dam by an average of 5 feet by my estimation. Right out from the main ramp, the river channel is on the far side. The near side seems to be at least 5 feet shallower now. It looks to me as if most of the silt shift is from Abrams Creek down to the dam.

Edited by Troutgirl

Has anybody been fishing? I winterized my boat. I was darn tempted to de-winterize it last week! Has anybody been to Watauga or South Holston? I'm thinking that the lakes are cooling and even if the Lakers are still deep, surely the Rainbows have come up....??? I have a friend I might go with in the coming month....on a warmer than average day.

You are out of my area cause I normally fish for crappie, but it is nice to see a pretty face on the lake when the fish are nor biting. ( I "bombed out" on 12-4 on Douglas) So, Troutgirl,  warm up that boat & keep a smile on all these old fishermen!  dada 12-6-17  2:44 PM

Last week's mild weather gave me the itch to fish. This week, not so much....! I'd like to know something about how Watauga fishes in winter, Anybody out there?

Dada, keep at it. You won't see me on Douglas but Chilhowee or Watauga, maybe....???