Troutgirl

East Tennessee Lakers & Trout Part 2, 2017

It can be fun but needs a few changes..i fished the monster trout tourney for a few years at fish springs.  not the last 2 because of an annual fathers day picnic and burger cook off at our church.

we placed every year and in 2015 we had the 1st and 2nd laker and rainbow.  they stopped putting the winners name on the plaque in the marina in 2014 i think.  prizes are just certificates and bragging rights.  Memorial day weekend would be better.  Mid June the lake trout bite is slowing down

It took an 8.4 lb lake trout and a 4 lb rainbow for the top two spots out of 25+ anglers, it was a fun tournament for sure, trout weren't biting great but a lot of small ones were being caught.

Just curious....was there a single Brown Trout entered? Having caught one this spring, well, late winter, I had hopes a  few more might show up for me. I bet they stay closer to the banks than Rainbows and Lakers because they like cover and they like Crawdads. ....not to mention, well mention, they're X-tra wary. Having seen thousands of Brown stokers at Rat Branch Ramp two springs ago, I keep thinking I should catch one with some regularity....

The winning weights are about what I was expecting....maybe a tad more for the Rainbow. Thanks for the report!

There was no brown trout were entered that I know of, lake was nice until around 10:30 to 11 then the pleasure boats were out in full force however the thunderstorms ran them out around noon or so and was overcast the remainder of the day which was nice.

I was at Watauga Wednesday. I had a good time losing fish. I did manage a pair of Lakers. The largest one was 24" and barely shy of 5 pounds. I lost 4 Rainbows near the boat. Three of 'em were above the Butler Bridge in the wide area where Roan Creek and the rivers meet. There was a bunch of bait up there surrounded by Rainbows. Well, Rainbows were all I caught and lost there. On one big loop through that area I caught my two Rainbows there. One came on a Laker spoon on the 50 foot Dipsy Diver. All the rest of the strikes were on a Michigan Stinger Scorpion spoon (2.25") behind the 22 foot Dipsy Diver. I might have just stayed up there but I only had one little Laker that I caught early in the morning not far upstream from Rat Branch. I decide I might come back later but I was gonna head downstream for another Laker.

I'm glad I headed back downstream. Just as I emerged from the narrows below the Butler Bridge, the 22 foot Dipsy Diver with the Scorpion spoon was hit hard. Surprise, surprise, a Laker came up for it. I caught my 24", chunky Laker. About 50 yards later I ran out of gas. I filled up before last week's trip to Santeetlah and didn't use all that much. Somebody must have syphoned at least 10 gallons whilst my boat was parked for the week. I thought I might have a clogged fuel line....I suspected that or I was out of gas. I wasn't all that far away from Fish Springs. It took me about 30 minutes to ride into the dock using my electric motor. I filled up and the motor started.

I decided to troll back to the ramp. When I was about a mile upstream from Rat Branch I finally got a strike. It was a savage strike on the 22 foot Dipsy rod. The fish took some line whilst I was going for the rod. Just after I had the rod in hand, it was limp. I reeled in as fast as I could in case the fish was charging towards me, but no. I assumed I was broken off but that wasn't the case. The small size snap I was using was a little bent and open. I'll only be employing the bigger ones going forward! I was gonna go to the ramp but it looked like a traffic jam there. I decided to troll another 30 minutes. I pulled in the lead-core lines with plugs, that hadn't been struck all day so I could turn and zig-zag about without tangling my lines. I was now trolling 3 spoons. Just as I got back to the Rat Branch cove I caught a 13" Brown. That ended my trip on a good note. It liked the new spoon on the 22 foot diver.

It was a strange day of fishing. I lost so many fish. They seemed to hit at the wrong depths. I caught my first Rainbow on a Laker spoon at a bit over 50 feet and a Laker on a Rainbow spoon at 22 feet. The surface temp went from 74 to 78 during the course of the day. The fish are going deeper but they seemed perfectly willing to rise to the 22 foot level to grab a meal. The guys from Nantahala Tackle were also on the lake testing their spoons. They were fishing deeper than me. I was talking to them on North Carolina Anglers Forum today. They thought that the Rainbows were 35-50 feet down and the Laker down in the 70-90 foot range. They caught a bigger Laker than me....but I sure got a bunch of strikes at 22 feet.

WATAUGA LAKE 28 June 2017 005.JPG

WATAUGA LAKE 28 June 2017 009.JPG

WATAUGA LAKE 28 June 2017 011.JPG

WATAUGA LAKE 28 June 2017 015.JPG

WATAUGA LAKE 28 June 2017 017.JPG

• Like 2

Troutgirl, I always enjoy your posts and seeing your catches for the day! Nice job and hope u keep it up!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the report troutgirl. Headed to watauga sat am. Praying for some rain or a good thunderstorm to keep the crazies at home. 

• Like 1

Guys, has anybody used the Fish Hawk thermometer? I just ordered one. I'm gonna start my trips by pulling over by the dam's cove and getting measurements.....when I pull it up, I'll have the temps at 5 foot intervals on the Fish Hawk. I suppose that the "goldilocks" zone for Lakers is gonna be 50-54 degrees....? Maybe I should be looking for the "goldilocks" zone for bait....???

I've been thinking about getting a Fish Hawk TD since last year but pit it off till now since I had some bill to pay off. Is 50-54 degrees about where I'll find Lakers at leisure times? Does anybody know what the preferred  temp for Blueback Herring is? I'm thinking that might be the level I'm looking for...?

I want my baits in 50-56 degree water when targeting lakers.  However at times they will be in colder temps and feed in warmer.  That's always been a good starting range for me.

• Like 1

Will I find water below 48 if I get into 240+ feet in Watauga? I know I would at Fontana because the water from Cheoah's generators is frequently that cold when Fontana is moving plenty of water. I'm anxious to fly the friendly skies with Hawk TD.

Has anybody been out troutin' lately? I'm getting the itch to fish again....and I'm fresh out of Laker fillets.... :wink:  The Lakers must be running deep in this heat. I'm thinking I should start fishing at about 70 feet, minimum. I'll check the water temps with the Fish Hawk, if it and/or I can manage to operate properly. The process malfunctioned when I tried the Hawk at Santeetlah last week.

Been on dale hollow all week picking away at rainbows.  At dale hollow midlake 58 degrees is at 60 ft.  Pretty normal this time of year.  Distinct break right at 45 feet.  Trout have been pretty active 40 to 60 down.  NH1's and NH2's have been moving rods.  We broke off a rainbow that was a conservative 8 lbs, jumped 4 times and the last run broke off.  Biggest bow I've had on at dale holler.  Hit a pink ice NH2 on a slider/cheater 

• Like 1