knoxfrog

New to Walleye Fishing and the Site

So, I posted some of this in the New Member Welcome forum, but as I'm looking to get into walleye/sauger, I figured I'd put it in here too:

I live in Knoxville and my "home" lake is now Ft Loudon as I fairly recently moved right near Concord. Formerly I fished mostly Douglas. I am primarily a crappie fisherman, mostly longlining.  I love to always learn more and expand my repertoire, and currently I'm looking to learn walleye and sauger. Any advice you can give to a novice in the species is greatly appreciated as Southern reservoir walleye info is a bit thin (there's plenty of research info if you're in MN). Not looking for anybody's secret holes (unless you want to give them), but more of the local info of general areas, seasonal patterning, techniques, etc. just trying to decipher what general

walleye info applies down here. I'm a firm believer in helping anyone out that I can, so feel free to ask anything. Most of what I know is from others helping me learn along the way, so I'm glad to "pay it forward" (although I won't be much help yet in walleye, but I'm happy to share anything I do know or about crappie). If there's anyone around that wants to meet up or just wants to introduce yourself, let me know. I'd love to meet more Ft Loudon localsNice to meet everyone. 

Welcome to the site, Knox & Ridge. As said,  walleyes are scarce in these parts UNLESS you know someone  who fishes for them  with the knowledge of where , when, & with what!  I have seen TWRA net them above Dandridge years ago, so I tried to catch  them there with no luck until I was crappie fishing above Indian Creek with plugs & caught a  7+ pound 'eye.  Tho I have fished 16 states,  Minn & Wis included, that is the biggest for me----  Right after "ice-out" is the best time & WAY ABOVE   Walter's bridge is known to give up a few.    dada  6-15-19   9:06 AM

• Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 8:38 AM, RidgeNHollow said:

Hey Knoxfrog,  I am trying to learn walleye fishing on Dale Hollow Lake.  I have not been successful so far.  Do you have any tips

?

There’s a few guys that troll for them effectively with stuff like dipsy divers, lead core line, and maybe even downriggers. Some absolute monsters come out of dale hollow

• Like 1

Walleyes are caught BELOW the dams,  Ft. Loudon. Douglas, etc. usually in the faster waters below the discharges, with jigs.  Also, if  you can  stay up  until 2 AM on Norris,  there are a few  lake walleyes left .  The Clinch river  that flows into Norris used  to  be great for  'eyes,  but TWRA says there are no more river strain  left there.  However, some fishermen says that they catch  some on the Clinch, still.  ???    dada   6-16-19   7:15 AM

• Like 1

Hey Knoxfrog,  I am trying to learn walleye fishing on Dale Hollow Lake.  I have not been successful so far.  Do you have any tips
?

Unfortunately not. Haven’t ever had the chance to get out enough to figure much out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walleyes are caught BELOW the dams,  Ft. Loudon. Douglas, etc. usually in the faster waters below the discharges, with jigs.  Also, if  you can  stay up  until 2 AM on Norris,  there are a few  lake walleyes left .  The Clinch river  that flows into Norris used  to  be great for  'eyes,  but TWRA says there are no more river strain  left there.  However, some fishermen says that they catch  some on the Clinch, still.  ???    dada   6-16-19   7:15 AM

Thanks for the response. Hopefully life will slow down a bit and I can find more time to get after them.

There’s a few guys that troll for them effectively with stuff like dipsy divers, lead core line, and maybe even downriggers. Some absolute monsters come out of dale hollow

Appreciate it. Wish I were closer to Dale Hollow