Sign in to follow this  
Bblevins34

Roanoke Rapids

Headed to Weldon Nc and fished the Roanoke River for the famous striper spawn. The river was 7-8' high according to the locals and running 20,000 cfs compared to the "ideal" 4-5000. There is definitely a lot of fish there. We marked them constantly on the sonar. We went with the intentions of catching them on fly but with that current it was just too difficult to get it down 20-30'. Had to use live bait at $10 a dozen. We caught around 40 on Friday. Most were 20" range and some smaller. According to everybody fishing those are nice ones. Glad I went but probly not something I would try again. If you want to be in a parade of boats bouncing bait on the bottom and catching that size fish it's the place to go I guess. We never even took a picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Glad you caught some fish, I know the feeling going on a trip and could have caught better fish at home. See my pickwick report from March hahahaaha

• Like 1

Sounds like a good experience, but 30 to 40 fish days are common right here in east Tennessee without all the parade. Many of them are much larger than 20".

• Like 3

I can't say that I've experienced that many here but I sure would love to! When striper fishing we're normally using fly rods so 3 or 4 in the afternoon has always been great for me. One of these days I'm going to try the live bait. Bought a tank last year but have yet to use it...

Been going to Weldon for several years.  Love it!  Lots of boats but lots of fish also.  Usually catch about 50 per day.  First year we used the $ 10 per dozen bait but since we have been using shiners and doing just as good.  Looking forward to going mid-April.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:55 AM, swal said:

Is the Roanoke River in Weldon large enough for a 20ft bass boat, would love to go sometime.

Short answer would be yes.  There are a LOT of rocks near the ramp area. If they are running water its a lot better. I would suggest you go with or have someone (I'm 20 miles) go with you that has some experience on the river.   You could always follow someone down the  river. Once you get around the first curve its pretty good.  One more set of rocks on right (visible) with a rock bridge abutment on left (submerged). You can see location by watching the current.

I've seen 28 foot cc down there before.   Just use your head and be careful.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:47 PM, Bblevins34 said:

Headed to Weldon Nc and fished the Roanoke River for the famous striper spawn. The river was 7-8' high according to the locals and running 20,000 cfs compared to the "ideal" 4-5000. There is definitely a lot of fish there. We marked them constantly on the sonar. We went with the intentions of catching them on fly but with that current it was just too difficult to get it down 20-30'. Had to use live bait at $10 a dozen. We caught around 40 on Friday. Most were 20" range and some smaller. According to everybody fishing those are nice ones. Glad I went but probly not something I would try again. If you want to be in a parade of boats bouncing bait on the bottom and catching that size fish it's the place to go I guess. We never even took a picture!

Fish there often in the spring.  Your assessment is dead on.  20' is a nice fish, there are larger ones there (seen them being shocked )  but they seldom if ever bite. We go mostly go after "keeping" season.  There's a lot less boat traffic.  Fishing with either a fly rod or light tackle you can have a blast.  Great trip for the kids.  We will often when fishing with the younger kids use a 16 foot brim buster pole using small shad or minnows for bait.  Now that's good for the soul.