Sign in to follow this  
larryc12

Crankbait trolling

Do any of you guys troll with crankbaits for crappies this time of year? I've been thinking about trying Wiggle Warts to find them and then using slip bobbers and minnows once found.

i've caught them using berkley flicker shad in the (5cm) size. on cherokee. but not yet this year. boat in shop!!!!. any color as long as its silver :cheer:

They love crankbaits. Only thing is, I have had that exact same thought as you several times.......... Troll til I find them then sit on them and cast. Only problem is I don't think that has ever once worked out that way for me anyways. If I get a bite trolling, I usually can't get any more bites unless I am trolling. So many times I have tried to double back where I got a bite trolling and cast a bobber and it has never produced anything to remember. But if I just keep trolling I keep catching. I think this is mainly because the fish are constantly moving but who knows. I rarely buy minnows though so maybe that will be the X factor for ya. Always keep an all pink crankbait on hand for crappie.........

Edited by Rusty50576

You can still catch them on the cranks now, but I do better after the post-spawn period through the early pre-spawn period.  Rarely do they school up tight enough to stop trolling. 

• Like 1

Bfish is right on, they're chasing the schools of bait fish now. You usually get bigger fish trolling cranks so I takes a little longer to put a limit in the boat. It can be done right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jigs and crank baits.  don't forget mini planars with cranks. I'm going this th and fri on Douglas.  I run jigs on the inside (deeper) and shorter and  cranks on the outside 14.  I'm a novice crappie troller, but catching plenty of fish any time of year from Dec.

Bandit 300, spots, LTS, etc. When those crappie start hitting plugs, you can have a ball-AND-also catch a few bass, walleye, catfish & drum while doing that. I'm just waiting for that right time to dump my minnows and troll those plugs. dada 4-21-16 8:15 AM

• Like 2

Now's the time at Tellico. Last 2 Sundays I've had my limit in under 4 hours. Average size about 11.5" and four rods was the most I could run.

I think you meant to say 4 was all you could get with 11.5 rods 😄 Not everybody trolls for crappie, some troll on here ðŸ‘

Speaking of crappie, I was chunking a cast net the other day and found some.  Two casts hit a total of five, smallest being about a pound, largest about 2.5. 

I was trolling last year for stripers with medium alewives about 4" long, and snagged one about 3 pounds.  Got yelled at for throwing it back.

For a few bucks, I'll tell you where they were. 

• Like 3

Speaking of crappie, I was chunking a cast net the other day and found some.  Two casts hit a total of five, smallest being about a pound, largest about 2.5. 

I was trolling last year for stripers with medium alewives about 4" long, and snagged one about 3 pounds.  Got yelled at for throwing it back.

For a few bucks, I'll tell you where they were. 

Do You take Paypal ? If not where can we meet I'll pay cash cause I've struggled this year on crappie 

Do You take Paypal ? If not where can we meet I'll pay cash cause I've struggled this year on crappie

Where do you fish for crappie? I might could help on Tennessee River but we may have different definitions of struggling. I can point you near some keepers I don't limit out very often like most do

post-798-0-15071300-1462304525_thumb.jpgWe long lined Douglas last Thursday and Friday.  15-20 keepers per day.  Caught some Giants for Douglas. one over 15 and one over 16 inches.  One on a jig and one on crank bait off a mini planer.  Nobody around though.

• Like 4