hughb

Shorten a trolling motor shaft

I need to shorten the shaft on a Motor Guide trolling motor. The shorter OEM column is no longer available. A shorter shaft is but it is not short enough. The shaft is threaded on each end. I'm thinking just cut the amount needed out of the middle and weld the threaded ends back together. Any better ideas? Thanks in advance.

I would leave the threaded area as is and take the length from rethreaded.and reweld. or just cut it off and have the end rethreaded.

I would also cut one end and rethread. It is hard to keep the two pieces of shafts perfectly straight and weld them back together when heat is applied to them. I am fairly certain the threads are standard pipe threads. Should be easy to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Take it apart and then to a machine shop to see if someone there can rethread.  DO NOT cut it in half until you exhaust all remedies.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I am attempting to find out if the threads are "special" as I have read on another site. I agree that rethreading is the best solution, or just live with it sticking up.

• Like 1