Bblevins34

Sunday 2/28

Fished Douglas Sunday. It was Muddy. Muddiest I have ever fished it. Started out in muddy creek about 11. By 3:30 we had caught two crappie. Wind was picking up and finally decided to head to Indian creek. Water was slightly clearer. Caught fish much better. Ended up with 15 I'm guessing. All but two or three were good size keepers but didn't keep any. Caught them spider rigging with flies tipped with minnows. Most fish were around 12' and scattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the report this seems to be a really rough winter for crappie it has either been to windy or muddy. I have fished Douglas several times this year and have only had a few good trips. I have been on Louden for the last couple of weeks and done decent but still not as good as the past years but the forecast seems to be looking up.

B34, If you don't get to Douglas early, (daylight) you miss out on the early bite.  Seems they quit biting after 10am.  dada 3-2-16  8:37 AM

• Like 1

Thanks Dada. I've experienced that as well. Unfortunately my work schedule doesn't allow for that too often. I certainly like to take advantage of it when I can tho.

I'm getting geared up for crappie long lining and crank bait trolling of Douglas for crappie this spring.  Upgraded to I pilot 24 V 85# thrust on my 18' lund.  What the typical speed and how much line to let out to get an 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig on 6# mono down to 12 or 15 ft?  I'm apparenty trolling to fast and getting more white bass than crappie when i wen the last two time. last april and Jan this year.

Well that depends on if it is 1/8 or 1/16. And wind. And where I fish (not Douglas) it also depends on current. I usually try to go somewhere near 1 mph but always adjusting speed and amount of line out. Too slow I pull up black leaves off the bottom. Too fast I don't get a bite. Also in my opinion white bass fight harder and taste better than crappie so I would just keep doing what you did last year

Edited by Rusty50576
  • Like 3

I'm no help on that Trophy. I mostly spider rig or fish minnows and flies under bobbers. I've seen some charts on the web that shows weights, line weight, speed and distance that may help you get close. Don't know where I seen it but I would say Google trolling line depths and you should be able to find something.

Throphy, Speed at .6  to .8 is normal this time of year, but as said, adjust speed to the catch & how far back you throw. Sometimes, you might speed up while trolling a plug later on, then those crappie won't hit anything that moves except a 32 oz fly under a bobber.   dada  3-2-16  4:38 PM

Well that depends on if it is 1/8 or 1/16. And wind. And where I fish (not Douglas) it also depends on current. I usually try to go somewhere near 1 mph but always adjusting speed and amount of line out. Too slow I pull up black leaves off the bottom. Too fast I don't get a bite. Also in my opinion white bass fight harder and taste better than crappie so I would just keep doing what you did last year

. I agree on the white bass fight and taste at least on smaller crappie, 13-14" fatty crappie filets are more firm and tastier to me versus small 10" but whites still better to me , why I don't take a load home ? I guess they're just not that glamorous 🚯